Invincible

Shared interests (girl edition)

22 posts in this topic

This is the flipside to ArtsyGirl's "shared interest" thread for the guys. It's only fair that the girls get one too.

What is an interest that you wish your future man would like as well?

And bonus question! Do you like guys who like to do stereotypical girl stuff like baking, shopping, chick flicks?

1 person likes this

For me, its a shared faith, love of the same music would be nice as well. The same sense of humor and to be into the same shows would be great so we can watch and discuss them together. 

Actually, I like a masculine man so I wouldn't want him to be too into shopping, baking, etc. but if he'd be willing to share a chick flick with me every once in a while that would be nice and he may be rewarded. lol I would of course, watch some of the more masculine movies with him as well. 

7 people like this

Hahaha! Thanks Envincebal! I guess I will answer first!

I would love it he would be interested in art, especially my art. Art is my passion, and it would be sad if he didn't share such an important part of me. It would also be very fun if he like doing outdoors activities too!

For the bonus question. It would be nice if he would like to come and help me shop for company:) but as for chick flicks, we will just watch action movies!!! :D

3 people like this

For me, its a shared faith, love of the same music would be nice as well. The same sense of humor and to be into the same shows would be great so we can watch and discuss them together. 

This!  A shared faith.  

Music...I have very eclectic tastes in music so if he can put up with that, I'm game to listen to his.  

One thing I would like to enjoy together is live theater.  Not all the time, tickets can get expensive, but to see a couple of shows a year would be great.  

While baking and shopping may not be his thing, I would love it if he sat at the table and worked and talked with me while I baked or prepared a meal.  But it would also be nice to cook together, finding new dishes we both liked, and just bumping into one another as we shared the same space.  

Chick flicks will be an occasional thing, I'm sure, but as was stated earlier - I'm sure there will be some benefits that go along with the watching.  ;-)

1 person likes this

I see marriage as a way for people two people to express themselves sexually. I don't necessarily see love as something that will be there from the get-go, but something that will be there eventually between two like-minded people. 

My ideal is my spouse and I working next to each other, going out sometimes, having fun on weekends, etc. Basically a good friend. 

1 person likes this

I agree about a shared faith! But I also would like someone who loves reading and writing as much as I do. And since I don't even like baking, shopping and chick flicks, I don't see it as much of an issue. If he wants to watch some horror and action movies with me though, that would be great!  :P

I also agree with shared faith. I hope who ever I marry in the future loves watching movies in general, especially the really bad horror ones ( which are most horror movies these days lol). They better be ready for me to drag them to the theatre on half price Tuesday. Maybe even dancing. They don't have to be good at it.

I wouldn't mind if they liked to do activities like baking. Trying out new recipes together could be something fun. Same with shopping.

Yep, a shared faith is the most important for me. Other interests wouldn't be as important.

But saying that, I'd hope he loved reading books, and perhaps liked writing, too! The specific books/genre that he liked wouldn't matter, though, since I've got pretty catholic (tee-hee!) reading tastes. And an interest in music would be great, especially if he could sing. Again, I don't really have one specific favourite genre of music, so anything within reason would be cool.

He'd also have to either like the Phantom of the Opera, or be willing to put up with it, because I do mention it a lot. And he'd have to like Paris, because I'd like to have Paris themed items in our house, like my Paris map posters. And Phantom themed items, too, for that matter, like my little Lon Chaney bobblehead. And my collection of posters from musicals, like Phantom and Les Mis and Wicked.

Girly things... Well, it would be very helpful if he knew how to cook, because at this point in time, I'm hopeless at it myself. But I hate chick-flicks myself and I get bored with shopping really quickly, so he should be fine.

xxx

2 people like this

I am totally fine with dating a man who comes across as more feminine. At the risk of changing this thread slightly, I think the "girly vs manly" mentality is just society trying to make people fit into norms and stifle who they could really be. Okay...back on topic.

Shared interests:

God

Reading

Doctor Who

Harry Potter

Video Games

General Nerd Stuff

Traveling/Living Abroad

Music

And then the other stuff that doesn't seem to "fit"

Shooting

Fishing

Camping

6 people like this

I am totally fine with dating a man who comes across as more feminine. At the risk of changing this thread slightly, I think the "girly vs manly" mentality is just society trying to make people fit into norms and stifle who they could really be. 

I also don't want to derail this thread.  I just want to state that I'm in total agreement regarding your point on the "girly vs manly" mentality.  Furthermore, I too am totally fine with dating a guy who comes across as more "feminine" (in fact, I think I'd prefer it).  I've always been a sucker for the quiet, sensitive, artistic types.

4 people like this

I also don't want to derail this thread.  I just want to state that I'm in total agreement regarding your point on the "girly vs manly" mentality.  Furthermore, I too am totally fine with dating a guy who comes across as more "feminine" (in fact, I think I'd prefer it).  I've always been a sucker for the quiet, sensitive, artistic types.

Right there with you...I know it's 100% personal preference, but I feel the exact same way about quiet/artsy/etc. I've never felt attraction to the typical man that is portrayed in film and media (physically or mentally.) I'm glad guys like Tom Hiddleston, Matt Smith, Matthew Gray Gubler are starting to become more popular because now I have guys I can like. :)

1 person likes this

I wouldn't so much want a shared faith as a compatible one. Sure, it would be awesome if we had the same faith, but since mine is pretty rare, I don't have my hopes too high. What matters most to me is that we are able to agree on the big things. I definitely want him to be spiritual though!

I *would* like him to have an interest in literature, art and music, as well as general intellectual topics - I'm fine if he's into sport or video games, but it would be awesome if we could have a good philosophical debate from time to time :) When I tell him I love Schubert or Tchaikovsky, I would like him to understand why instead of just answering "yeah, sure". Same goes for Victor Hugo, Emily Dickinson, Akiane Kramarik, or whatever. Literature, art and music are extremely important to me and I need him to understand that.

As for liking "girly" things… Dear gods I hate them! I only cook because I need to, and I usually put off shopping until my clothes fall to pieces :P I like to take care of myself (I wear makeup, dress nicely etc) but I won't go out of my way for it. I don't do stereotypically male things either (me, fixing cars? no way) - but I just never really got into "girly" things.

1 person likes this

I wouldn't so much want a shared faith as a compatible one. Sure, it would be awesome if we had the same faith, but since mine is pretty rare, I don't have my hopes too high. What matters most to me is that we are able to agree on the big things. I definitely want him to be spiritual though!

I *would* like him to have an interest in literature, art and music, as well as general intellectual topics - I'm fine if he's into sport or video games, but it would be awesome if we could have a good philosophical debate from time to time :) When I tell him I love Schubert or Tchaikovsky, I would like him to understand why instead of just answering "yeah, sure". Same goes for Victor Hugo, Emily Dickinson, Akiane Kramarik, or whatever. Literature, art and music are extremely important to me and I need him to understand that.

As for liking "girly" things… Dear gods I hate them! I only cook because I need to, and I usually put off shopping until my clothes fall to pieces :P I like to take care of myself (I wear makeup, dress nicely etc) but I won't go out of my way for it. I don't do stereotypically male things either (me, fixing cars? no way) - but I just never really got into "girly" things.

I didn't know people still practiced paganism in the UK. That's definitely going to take an open minded guy. ^_^

I didn't know people still practiced paganism in the UK. That's definitely going to take an open minded guy. ^_^

Haha! A small number of people still practise Paganism in most countries, as far as I know. But yep, that's why I try to be open-minded about faith because it will take an open-minded person to accept mine :)

3 people like this

A shared sense of humor and it would be wonderful if he was into science like I am.

Paganism has many beautiful faiths. I myself most closely identify with the tenets and philosophies of Wicca. Even though I call myself an atheist.

I actually have family friends who are Wiccans, and one is even a High Priestess (Basically a priest, the leader of a coven like a priest is the spiritual leader of a church).

2 people like this

I am totally fine with dating a man who comes across as more feminine. At the risk of changing this thread slightly, I think the "girly vs manly" mentality is just society trying to make people fit into norms and stifle who they could really be. 

Thank you both. :)

1 person likes this

I agree with you all about the shared faith ... but I don't consider that an interest , this is like basics to me . 

Shared interest , hmmm  maybe reading & a bit of creative writing  :lol:

I would like very much getting intellectual together 

but really , I don't care , ... I think it would be great if we liked to do everything together ,  his things , & my things ...

like do my list of interests and his list..... 

after all you dont want to be two carbon copies of each other , different tastes & new perspectives keep the relationship interesting  ;) & down the road you will notice that you are like infecting each other , like he likes stuff you do & even takes it in his daily routine ... & you the same ... something like that ...

about the shopping , baking , chick flicks , That I really don't mind , If he has a feminine side , he can show it when I am around   :P  if he cried in movies , hugged pillows , ect .... I want him to be himself ( other than screaming at the sight of a roach , that is way too feminine than i could handle hahahaha )

to me being a man isn't being tough , rough, masculine motorcycle-boxing dude who rarely laughs  :huh: it is, to be firm & strong when the relationship needs it , when I need him , other than that I'd like very much    if we both acted like ourselves .....

after all interests change , people grow , time changes stuff ,,somethings happen .... so if we had the mutual policy of accepting each other .. we are going to always have shared interests  :wub:

2 people like this

My  husband and I both really like board games, which is so amazing for me! As a teenager and college student, I always wanted to play board games with my friends and family, and it only ever happened like 1 in 10 times I asked. Now that I'm married, I've joined my husband's group of friends who get together every week to play board games!!!

We both cook and clean and run errands/get groceries. I do most of the laundry because I'm insanely particular about it--he's  only allowed to wash sheets/towels/socks/underwear, and sometimes that still requires my supervision... I don't think I could have married him if he never cooked or cleaned. I don't think that adulting is gendered.

We also both really like candy, and pizza, and beer, and boneless wings, and cereal, and soda, although I stick to varieties of Diet Coke and he mostly drinks different Mountain Dews.

We love watching Star Trek together. We finished TNG and DS9, and we're now on the second season of Voyager.

He's also willing to attend art museums and plays with me, but he didn't do much of that before me. ;)

We love going to the zoo! And science museums!

We're basically two kids in adult bodies. :)

3 people like this

Well I will start with the bonus question. I dont like shopping or chick flicks, so if he was really into that, it would probably annoy me. Thou he is more than welcome to cook and bake. You know the majority of the world renown chiefs are male.

Same interests would be liking the same type of sports, music, movies. Even tempered and humourous, I love laughing. Trying new things,different cultural events, restuarants. Broadway, plays, like animals and kids. Also if he was tidy and good hygiene. Note I didnt say neat freak or a slob, but somewhere in the middle. Also even thou I am a virgin, I have a pretty good libido and imaginative side, so it would be a benefit if he had similar interests on that side, lol.

I would love it if he had a feminine side. I know a woman that hates shopping but the husband loves it so he buys all of her clothes, the kid's clothes, does the grocery shopping etc. I love guys that have a feminine side! I just find that so cute for some reason.

I don't need someone who shares a lot of the same interests, as long as he is open minded and willing to try things that I enjoy and likewise I would be the same way.

But here's what I can think of

- He most definitely needs to be a cat person or else I'll probably drive him nuts.

- I like guys who can appreciate different cultures and not be all weird and narrow-minded when it comes to that sort of thing.

- A guy that is into fitness is good. I at least shouldn't have to bribe him or pry him off the couch to get him to do active things with me.

- Oh yeah and a guy that likes gaming at least on a casual level. (A girl I know told me that I will never find a guy into both fitness and gaming -_-).

- I would also hope he doesn't mind some childish things. I'm still innocent at heart so I love a lot of things that are more for children.

- A guy would also get major points if he was into science, technology, and philosophy.

- And lastly it would be great if we had some interests that we didn't share.

As for me, having the same basic faith in God... basically, accepting that He sent His son, etc etc... I see this as not only a religion, but an interest. I would like for him to be open for discussions about different faiths, because we will know that it's just that. I wouldn't mind if we had a few other shared interests, but it's not really terribly important to me. What is more important to me, is shared interest in SHARING interests. Ocdasionally doing things with each other that the other likes. To me, this accomplishes two things. 1. You get to express your love by showing interest, and learning more about each other. 2. You may just discover something new to enjoy yourself.

I, personally, don't care if he likes some 'feminine' things, or not. If he's manly, I'd hope he'd be 'in touch' with his feminine side enough to be able to 'handle women crying'... like he knows how to comfort, etc... and that he can appreciate all that I do (AND that I like to do some of the 'masculine' stuff... like building things). If he's got a few feminine interests, that's fine. I'd just hope that it's something like cooking, or dishes. :) I don't care much for those two chores. However, overall, I'm not terribly picky. As long as he is emotionally strong enough to be a pillar of strength for, and willing to stand up for, me (he's strong enough to not let anyone tear me down, but knows how to do it like a real man... starting with words, and trusting God, etc). I'm good.

1 person likes this