Dasboy1

Fitness!

22 posts in this topic

So today I ran my first official 5k and it was brutal, cardio definitely not my strong suit. I was wondering what are some things you guys do to workout if you do? Anything from yoga to deadlifts. Let me know people.

3 people like this

Congrats on the 5k, bro! That's great stuff. Keep it up. 

I've recently started weight lifting (5 months or so), and my only regret is that I didn't start at an earlier age. The discipline, focus, life style change is incredible. It's amazing what you can make your body do/change with the proper knowledge and work ethic. 

I did a 20 pound "bulk" and will be doing a "cut" for 2-3 months. After the cut is over, I do it all over again. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and it took me a while to find a good beginner program. Pretty much I do full body workouts 3x a week. First day is  "heavy" day, 2nd day is "medium" day, 3rd day is "light" day. It's 5 week cycles, 8 repetitions the first week, and 12 on the 5th week. If you complete 12 repetitions on the 5th week, you start over with heavier weights. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for starting this great topic!

5 people like this

Congrats on finishing! That's quite an accomplishment.

As far as working out goes, I think the traditional stuff is what will get the most results in a safe manner. I'm pretty skinny myself but, I don't think that genetics play as big a roll as most guys like to think. The only thing I want to stay away from are the get fit fast schemes like crossfit. Crossfit shows gains very quickly but it comes at the cost of doing long term damage to your body. The majority of crossfit exercises are based around bad form that will lead to issues later. Though, its probably not acceptable to point out the dangers as it has become one of the most popular workout programs out there! :P I'd much rather be skinny now and safely acquire gains while keeping my body in good condition for working out in my 40s-50s.

ETA: I'm pretty similar to Olivier's plan in regards to adding weight. The only difference is I'll separate whether or not I'm working upper body or lower and work out throughout the week.  The split routine is likely more time consuming as you workout M T Th F with W as a rest day so that may be a factor in determining what you want to do. Sat/Sun are also rest days but, I usually am doing something outdoorsy so I count it as part of my exercise plan. ^_^

Well I've played football for 12 years, I was very athletic. Despite my heavy weight, big posture and height, I was the fastest runner. I was 70kg when I was 15 and played as libero. I stopped at my 17th because of an injury. I started gaining weight till 90.

Then I began working out 3 years ago and after 6 months I gained weight till 105. I burned 10kg away till 95 with HIIT.
I could run 7,5 kilometers in 30 minutes where 15 minutes of it are HIIT.

I had to stop with HIIT because of the injury recurring. Then I mainly focussed on weight lifting. I've gained weight till 103 kg. (Past year).

In september 2013 I started with cardio mainly focussing on burning my fat away (600-700 calories in 45 minutes). When I became 93kg I stopped with the heavy cardio and changed to a strict and dangerous diet. It is the most extreme form of low carb eating: ketosis. I quickly dropped in weight and burned fat at a very fast and high rate. The first week I lost 5kg and in the next 3 weeks 5 kilograms which dropped me to a weight of 83 kg.

I started bulking again past week and I gained 7 kilograms in 1 week and now I weigh 91 kg and I'm aiming to become 100 kg.

I work out every muscle 2 times a week in a period of 5 days consisting of a very heavy weight program.

I always do squats, bench, dumbbels, barbells, deadlifts and do pull-ups in sets of 10 repetitions without help. I try to avoid machines as much as possible.
I always combine dropsets supersets and normal weight program to stimulate my growth and fat burn and once in 3 weeks I change my program to strength training.

One good of advice: variation to confuse the muscles to build more mass is the biggest bullshit. Don't believe in that crap.

And, sorry to say but cross-fit is ..... bullshit.

Congrats on finishing! That's quite an accomplishment.

As far as working out goes, I think the traditional stuff is what will get the most results in a safe manner. I'm pretty skinny myself but, I don't think that genetics play as big a roll as most guys like to think. The only thing I want to stay away from are the get fit fast schemes like crossfit. Crossfit shows gains very quickly but it comes at the cost of doing long term damage to your body. The majority of crossfit exercises are based around bad form that will lead to issues later. Though, its probably not acceptable to point out the dangers as it has become one of the most popular workout programs out there! :P I'd much rather be skinny now and safely acquire gains while keeping my body in good condition for working out in my 40s-50s.

ETA: I'm pretty similar to Olivier's plan in regards to adding weight. The only difference is I'll separate whether or not I'm working upper body or lower and work out throughout the week. The split routine is likely more time consuming as you workout M T Th F with W as a rest day so that may be a factor in determining what you want to do. Sat/Sun are also rest days but, I usually am doing something outdoorsy so I count it as part of my exercise plan. ^_^

Well I don't know how to feel I've been doing crossifr since this past august..... I absolutely love it, only bad part is the money loss. I know lots of people think there's bad form, and trust me there is, but that's cause we're beginners trying something completely new. I'm no expert but my weight lifting forms for many lifts have gotten much better threw the help of the trainers and I'm doing things I never thought I could like legless rope climbs, hand stand push ups, walking on my hands, my core has never been stronger. I've never been in better overall shape.

I am still pushing myself to exercise regularly since the 'Freshman 15' is very real in my case, but I workout to a lot of XHIT Daily videos. If I don't have the energy to do that, then I run on a treadmill for 15 minutes, or follow dance tutorials to K-pop/J-pop songs.

Congrats on the 5k! I personally am mostly into hiking and swimming. I go to as many national parks and hiking places as I can in my area. It keeps me entertained while I exercise because I love exploring new places. 

For some years, I've been taking full-body high intensity aerobics classes, mainly Tae Bo or martial arts and boxing based classes. Usually 3 times a week. I like how the choreography engages the mind, and there is always a fresh challenge when new music and choreography is released. Except for instructors, most guys seem to avoid group fitness classes at least where I have lived. Either it isn't seen as 'manly' enough or perhaps they don't want the women in the class to beat them at it, because it is intense. In some areas, a lot more men are involved, so I think it might be a culture thing.

I would like to add some muscle toning to the mix, but have yet to find the right time to fit it in. However I have experienced the benefits of weights and toning and know how effective it is. But I'm not looking to build show-off type muscle, just to stay fit and well-balanced.

If there was a good biking trail nearby, that would also be great, cycling is a good workout.

Congratulations!!! I ran my first official 5k last October and my second one in December, after never previously being able to run even a mile until September. I still do not enjoy running, but I love the fact that I am ABLE to run!

I only got into fitness in the last year. I first started off with just basic cardio, especially the elliptical, the treadmill, and the stair-climber. Then I started to add a bit of lifting weights. I then began running, with the Couch-to-5k training plan. And then this January I began taking swing dancing lessons every week and attending the social dance afterward; I am really loving that!

Not every fitness activity turns out to be fun, but I have been happy to discover so many new, healthy interests!

1 person likes this

I love Zumba and power walking...joined the YMCA and am going to check out Muscle Pump, Pilates, and some Yoga. I love to shoot hoops too...bought my very own, first ever, basketball. I also am going back on Michael Thurmans weight loss program. I have had great success with it and dropped my sugar levels from 250 to 120's.

Go Me!!! lol

Good luck ya'll!!

3 people like this

Glad you're getting into lifting Olivier! My brother got me into it a few years back and I can't get enough of it. I was always super thin growing up and its nice to put some weight (muscle) on finally haha! I should probably do more cardio but I lift 3 days a week. I'm currently doing a "clean" bulk you could say lol...not cutting by any means but still trying to gain lean mass.

2 people like this

I run a few times a week, trying to get a mile time under 6:20, current best is 6:47. I also do just normal toning things, not huge into lifting, and I play tennis a lot for my schools varsity team.

Glad you're getting into lifting Olivier! My brother got me into it a few years back and I can't get enough of it. I was always super thin growing up and its nice to put some weight (muscle) on finally haha! I should probably do more cardio but I lift 3 days a week. I'm currently doing a "clean" bulk you could say lol...not cutting by any means but still trying to gain lean mass.

Thanks, DD! You were actually one of the people that inspired me! (u made a post a loong while back about it) Prayer and hard work goes a long way :-). I will probably be PM'ing u one of these days for tips!

3 people like this

You guys should try this program. Jay Cutler started this program years ago and he is still continuing it. It breaks the limit of your muscles and gives you the round, full muscled look. I always train like this. It also increases the anabolic effect which is caused by an increased flow of blood through your veins by doing this plan. At the end a HIIT raises the anabolic and metabolic rates even more and you'll gain much more muscle and burn fat together.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/fst-7-fascia-stretch-training-7-workout-routine-nutrition-guide.html

I think my personality and lifestyle naturally work me out :P As in I don't really ever plan to workout, I'm always usually busy doing something, rushing about, I also love to dance, I often walk long distances too but that is more to save money and also the bus service where I live is fairly terrible. There are some active hobbies I have, one that is regular, one that isn't but as I really enjoy them (one is a group activity and the other is a competitive sport), it doesn't really feel like I'm making an effort to get fit it just feels like I'm going to have fun.

I run a few times a week, trying to get a mile time under 6:20, current best is 6:47. I also do just normal toning things, not huge into lifting, and I play tennis a lot for my schools varsity team.

My quickest mile is 6'28"/mi.. My goal is under 6 minutes. Eventually under 5. Sometimes I'm indecisive though. Sometimes I go for distance, speed, or time. My longest run was 8 miles in distance and my longest timed run was 1hr 30min. Didn't measure the distance on that one. 

Only thing that sucks is when I go and play soccer where sprinting is involved I lack to the stamina to last very long. 

Thanks, DD! You were actually one of the people that inspired me! (u made a post a loong while back about it) Prayer and hard work goes a long way :-). I will probably be PM'ing u one of these days for tips!

Glad he motivates you too! Even if I don't lift to get hooge as DD says haha he encourages me to get to the gym and DO something-zumba, yoga, lift, etc. :)

Congratulations on the 5K!

Well I'm not a huge fan of cardio but because I'm living a healthier lifestyle I dance for my cardio! Anything fast except hip hop! Quick step, salsa, bachata etc! Or I chase my nephew! Also P90X is my Best friend too!

1 person likes this

I sing in a choir which is really good for all sorts of things

Fun fact , Singers in a group sync there heart rates (probably to do with breathing at the same times and following the same rhythms and yada yada)

I really enjoy how no matter how tired you are starting choir, you will be invigorated at the end, some of it is you taking in lots of oxygen, some of it is because music is good for your soul

1 person likes this

I love Zumba 

Glad someone else said it. Zumba is my addiction. I absolutely love it. I was thinking of getting certified to become a Zumba instructor because it's A) A great work out every time you do it and B) It's so much fun it doesn't even feel like a work out. Everyone should try it! It's a blast :)

2 people like this