Faith

Marrying someone with a different Religion, Good or Bad?

83 posts in this topic

I want a woman who will instill Christian values in our children and one who will expect the same of me. I definitely won't be dating or marrying outside of Christianity.

I Agree! I want a husband the same way... to instill Christian values in our children and within our family.

5 people like this

I've dated my fair share of crazy church guys, so I think it's a case-by-case thing.

When dating a non-Christian who is open to learning about Christianity, you can't get away with using words like "salvation", "faith", "holiness", "offering", "praise" etc without knowing how to explain what it is and how/why it's an important concept.

When dating a Christian, you might realize this person has gotten by in church on a nice personality without actually getting to know God.

In either case, you'll never be able to tell for sure who's saved and who's not. Only God knows that.

1 person likes this

I won't be what my wife loves most - she will love The Lord most. (And then me next!) And then if I also put The Lord first, we cannot go wrong. Why? Because when we are both following the will of God, we will always be on the same page. We might each see the page in a different light and need to work it out, but we won't be pulling in opposite directions. I personally cannot imagine being married to someone that is not only on a different page, but in a completely different book.

10 people like this

I won't be what my wife loves most - she will love The Lord most. (And then me next!) And then if I also put The Lord first, we cannot go wrong. Why? Because when we are both following the will of God, we will always be on the same page. We might each see the page in a different light and need to work it out, but we won't be pulling in opposite directions. I personally cannot imagine being married to someone that is not only on a different page, but in a completely different book.

Yes!!

It's so important to love the Lord first...He is a jealous God and commands it!!

Godly men... seek Godly women. Godly women...wait on a Godly man.

7 people like this

Yeh Faith it isn't only the disagreements, it's also the fact that your spouse should love The Lord more than anyone including you, in order for him to love you in the best way he can :). And also I saw a comment saying religion shouldn't get in the way of love, but the truth is that God should be the foundation of a loving relationship.

Just my $0.02 ;)

8 people like this

I love that, Yours Someday, and this one

Imagine a man

so focused on God

that the only

reason he looked

up to see you is

because he heard

God say

"That's her."

9 people like this

Imagine a man

so focused on God

that the only

reason he looked

up to see you is

because he heard

God say

"That's her."

YES!!  Another one of my favorites!  

And have you seen this one?

7a4dba3b44fc0a09c756ece0a4b2905a.jpg

9 people like this

Christianity teaches Christians to marry people who are equally yoked.

Also marrying someone of a different religion (if both people follow their religions strictly as their God expects them to) would cause endless conflict, especially in terms of child-rearing, both parents would be insistent that the children is raised according to their own religion, who wants those problems? There are enough challenges in marriage. It's best both people are on exactly the same page.

If both people aren't very strict followers of their religion, there's room for room for manoeuvre, room for negotiation but I cannot and will not compromise on important things that are significant Christian principles, virtues etc

If there is no unity among the parents, there will be no unity between the children and their parents. E.g. if dad says or wants one thing and mum says or wants the opposite, that thing happens where the children go to the parent they know is on their side, children end up loving one parent more than the other and it causes conflict between the parents. E.g. when things go wrong there is that whole "I told you so but you didn't listen, you should have listened to me and she wouldn't be pregnant" for example.

If both parents agree on how to raise their children there will be harmony in the household, there shouldn't be two rule books but a general parental rulebook, there is strength if both parents are united, with parents that never agree on things that really matter to them and that can really affect their children it makes the children just go their own thing because if their parents don't even know between them which is the 'right' thing, why should they listen to either of them?

5 people like this

I'd say overall it's not such a good idea from a personal standpoint, because of this point, as was said above ...

2 Corinthians 6

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

However if we read on a little further there's this, ...

1 Corinthians 7

To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.

5 people like this

Yeh Faith it isn't only the disagreements, it's also the fact that your spouse should love The Lord more than anyone including you, in order for him to love you in the best way he can :). And also I saw a comment saying religion shouldn't get in the way of love, but the truth is that God should be the foundation of a loving relationship.

Just my $0.02 ;)

I agree 100% :)

I've always loved this quote...

db3c7254b42b3e4ddc317cddfdcb7212.jpg

I love this!

1 person likes this

Imagine a man

so focused on God

that the only

reason he looked

up to see you is

because he heard

God say

"That's her."

Never heard this one but now I love it!!!

1 person likes this

YES!!  Another one of my favorites!  

And have you seen this one?

7a4dba3b44fc0a09c756ece0a4b2905a.jpg

This one brought tears to my eyes!! So beautiful I love it!!

1 person likes this

I wouldn't marry someone with a different religion and I do think it'll end up badly. I'm fairly conservative christian and I don't even think I could take a more liberal christian let alone someone of a completely different religion. I want my children to go to church and be brought up with Christian faith and if my husband doesn't want that then there is an automatic rift in the relationship. To me it helps to be very similar in moral, religious and social beliefs rather than different in marriage since there are so many outside forces that one cannot even control (finances, kids in general) that could cause rifts in the marriage. The less strain the better. 

4 people like this

My husband is atheist, although he was raised Catholic, and I'm sure he's still formally counted among their numbers. I'm Protestant with a fairly liberal theology that stems from studying the Bible in multiple translations, studying the history & political motivations behind biblical translations, and studying the history of Christianity.

My husband displays more of the values and qualities that I've always sought in a partner than ANY Christian man I've ever met. And I'm from the buckle of the Bible Belt, so I've had good friendships with hundreds of Christian men my age. Too bad the ones waiting for marriage believed in women's inferiority and the ones who respected women as equals all expected sex before marriage.

A mixed faith relationship is totally possible if you have the same values and goals. My husband is fine with our future children attending church with me, and we're both fine with exposing them to all world religions so they can make informed decisions about their own faith. My husband is very respectful of my beliefs, and he never says anything disparaging about Christianity as a belief system. (We do both heavily criticize Christianity as a tool of oppression, but that's more about sinners who are hiding behind harmful biblical interpretations).

A mixed faith relationship isn't for everyone, and I can respect that. However, my husband is very capable of love. Being an atheist doesn't mean he's unable to love. He has a very generous and open heart. He does regular volunteer work in the community, and he donates money to a variety of charitable causes (after careful research to make sure the charities are worthwhile, of course). He respects me and my choices, but he also encourages me to be a better person. He's quick to apologize and ask forgiveness when he makes a mistake, and he genuinely tries to avoid it again.

Again, it's not for everyone, but if your faith system is also open-minded, you shouldn't rule out marrying someone with a different religion.

7 people like this

Too bad the ones waiting for marriage believed in women's inferiority and the ones who respected women as equals all expected sex before marriage.

Unfortunately, this is what I have encountered as well. But your marriage gives me hope that I can find a guy who exists outside of this dichotomy! 

2 people like this

I'd prefer it if my beloved was of the same faith, but I put it in God's hands that He has a plan for my life and who'll I will share it with, regardless of background. It'll all work out in the end.

I had a good friend in high school who was Jewish and we liked each other at one point, but chose not to date. Neither one of us ever saw ourselves converting ( I am Catholic) and it was very important for both of us to be the same religion as the person we married.

My husband is Christian but his family doesn't regularly go to church and he was never brought up in a specific denomination. It is hard for me that he's Christian but not Catholic, but I have learned to look past it. We go to Mass together and he has been interested in converting sometimes, but still remains unsure. I go to other churches with him sometimes too but was up front with him when we were dating that I'm not willing to convert.

I don't think interfaith marriages are doomed, but I think it takes a certain kind of person to be ok with it- especially if you are planning to have kids. I firmly believe if that is part of God's plan for you, He will give you strength to overcome the religious difference and focus on your similarities instead.

2 people like this

Personally I would not have a problem marrying someone who was not atheist/agnostic as I am, as long as our children where not influenced by said partners beliefs and was allowed to learn about all religions, because I believe a child should have their own choice in life what they wish to believe in.

4 people like this

In theory I wouldn't be uncomfortable with marrying someone who is not an atheist; my best friend of over 13 years is a devout Christian, and we get along very well. *But* I would be extremely uncomfortable with taking my future children to any kind of organized religious meetings, or raising them with the belief that any particular god or gods are real. If they express a desire to explore a given religion when they are old enough to decide for themselves, that's fine; I don't plan on enforcing my lack of belief in any god or gods as any kind of an absolute truth. But I am very firmly against raising them in any kind of organized religion, aside from participating in secularized cultural traditions (for example, I have always celebrated Christmas despite being an atheist. My boyfriend is an atheistic Jew, and I'd be OK with doing Hanukkah the same way I currently do Christmas). I think you'd be hard pressed to find any religious adherent who would be OK with forgoing raising their kid in their religion at least to a certain extent.

1 person likes this

I wouldnt. i was taught not to be unequally yoked. I would worry about having kids with someone who believes differently. what if they taught your kids the opposite of what you were teaching?

1 person likes this

I just worry about the children. As a Catholic, we are told to bring our children up in the faith. But I've seen so many children confused and brought up without going to church, to appease the other spouse.

3 people like this

My first girlfriend was Muslim and wasn't allowed to date; her mother found out and broke us up, which is probably why we're still friends.  :P  I would go for her again, but I would have to convert to marry her.  Muslim men can have a wife who is Jewish or Christian, but a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man, so tough luck for me, eh?

It's probably for the best, though, since that experience taught me that interfaith relationships generally don't work out.  This is really hard to wrestle with, because there are women I could date who are atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus, etc., but my conscience says no.  I'm not even sure if I could marry someone who wasn't an Eastern Orthodox Christian, because unless one of us is infertile, the issue of taking kids to a certain church and raising them in it is going to come up.  I can marry anyone who was baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity, but what difference does that make if the person you're marrying thinks your denomination is idol-worshipping or heretical? 

So depressed lately over this.  :(  As if the options weren't limited enough...

4 people like this

Deep down, I would love my husband to share my religion, but I don't have my hopes too high. Considering the number of people who are of the same faith as me, I have an *extremely* small chance of marrying one of them. So for that reason, I will almost certainly have an interfaith marriage.

How do I feel about that? Not too bad. The main thing that matters, to me, is respect. If my husband can respect my beliefs, and I can respect his, we're good to go. I don't mind him teaching our children another religion, because I would do it anyway (I want my children to learn about different faiths so they can make an informed choice later on). The only thing I wouldn't do is have my husband tell our children that my beliefs are wrong, that I'm a heretic or what have you, but that ties in with respecting each other's religion. Otherwise, I've gotten used to the idea of an interfaith relationship, and I'm okay with it.

1 person likes this