Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegsy Scarr

Mornington Crescent

15 posts in this topic

Hey! Just wondering if anyone here knows the game Mornington Crescent? Hopefully someone else can play along with me...

The rules are pretty simple to pick up. There's probably a copy of NF Stovold’s Mornington Crescent: Rules and Origins at your local bookstore, or The Little Book of Mornington Crescent by Tim, Graeme, Barry and Humph. 

Also, Google is your friend! But just play along, even if you're not clear on the rules. I'll keep you right :)

Okay, I'll start! We'll go from Kew Gardens, since that's on the London Overground and the District line. A King Arthur's parallel is a good move to start with, I think. More opportunities for whoever goes next.

And here is a map of the London Tube: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.gif

xxx

Very well. And just to throw a spoon into the works, I'm taking the river-bus at Westminster and hopping off at North Greenwich at the Jubilee line.

xxx

You are a crafty one Jegs. I'll take your hopoff at North Greenwich and move to Stratford at the Central line.

Very well. From Stratford to Holborn, Central line.

You are aware of course that Central line carries a starter-pawn bonus, and therefore I am entitled to an additional turn.

From Holborn to Piccadilly Circus, on the Piccadilly line.

xxx

Ack! The starter-pawn bonus, I forgot about that move. In that case, I move from Piccadilly Circus to Tooting Bec, Northern line.

Hey, there's no starter-pawn bonus on the Bakerloo or Piccaddilly line! According to the 1979 revisions, you only get a starter-pawn bonus on lines that contain an S or a T.

xxx

Hmm....in that case I'll change from Piccaddilly Circus to Bushey @ Bakerloo line.

I'm not sure about that move. I'm not sure if you know this Jegs, but the London Overground is supposedly haunted. Who knows there could be ghostly spiders hanging around it (joking). On the otherhand, I heard within the vicinity of this line there is a ghost that looks like a chicken roaming around the place....scary.

Hmm. So the Overground is blocked by a ghostly chicken. That is worrying.

In that case, I'm pretty much stuck in Nid, since there's no other way back through. Therefore, I'll travel by foot. As you know, that means you get to pick the station I go to (somewhere nearby please).

xxx

@ Jegs: I'll place you at Harrow on the Hill on the Metropolitan.

Myself: I'll move to Baker Street on Hammersmith & City I want to visit the home of Sherlock Holmes. To get to this station, I'm using the Hungarian variation after I crossed the Rubicon :).

Can more than 2 people play this game?

Sure! Just jump in! The Slayer's at Baker's Street, so you can make the next move from there, if you like.

Meanwhile, I'm still way behind play and have to catch up. Stupid Hungarian variation. Okay, I'll go to Finchley Road, on the Jubilee line. Must...catch...up...to...play...

xxx