Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evanescent_Beauty

Silver Ring Thing

3 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everybody knows about the Silver Ring Thing.  I was sorta thinking about joining their Tour Team, but the homophobia evident in the application gave me some pause.  Do you guys think it's a good group to work with?  Also, what are the specifics of their vow? 

Just wondering what everybody knows about the Silver Ring Thing.  I was sorta thinking about joining their Tour Team, but the homophobia evident in the application gave me some pause.  Do you guys think it's a good group to work with?  Also, what are the specifics of their vow? 

I don't know anything about the actual organisation, but I had a look at the application form. The only thing they ask is, "Have you ever in the past or presently struggled with homosexuality?". Obviously, if you don't believe those kinds of sexual acts are sinful, then you might find that a weird question. But it's in line with everything else they ask in the background check: "Have you ever in the past or presently been involved with the occult?," for example.

But that being said, I think it's a very strange question to ask. If it was just, "What are your views about homosexuality?" it would make sense, since it's a Christian group, and they'll want their staff who'll be teaching teenagers and young people to teach in line with their beliefs.

But it doesn't make sense why they'd ask a personal question like that, instead of something more general. I notice as well that instead of asking something like, "What are your views on abortion?", they ask, "Have you ever had an abortion?" and "Have you ever been pregnant or fathered a child?"

I mean, why would that matter? Surely all that matters is what they believe now? What are they going to do: "Oh, you've had sex with someone of the same sex before you decided to wait till marriage? You've had an abortion? Oh, you're out, then." Why would someone's past matter? The whole point surely is that your past mistakes don't matter, because you can always ask God for forgiveness. It just seems completely inappropriate to interrogate someone about past mistakes, instead of taking them where they are now.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the organisation, but that application form makes me uncomfortable. There's a bit that says, "A yes answer does not disqualify an applicant, it simply helps us know your story", but it's not convincing, to be frank. If they want to know someone's story, a little tick-box isn't going to do it.

xxx

1 person likes this

I bet what they're hoping for is either someone who's never been involved with homosexuality or any of those other things they seem to see as negative, or someone who HAS but has "reformed."

I like their abstinence message and their faith base, but the level of conservative viewpoint this seems to show might be a little much for me. Not all Christians are against homosexuality, abortion, etc.  I consider myself rather liberal and don't know if I'd fit in with them...You're also right about their lack of investigation.  They should ask a person's views and if they ask about history, they also should ask about now and instead of tick-boxes, maybe a spot for a short written answer.   Perhaps contacting someone in the organization and asking more about such matters would be a good idea before applying?