Invincible

Have you ever experienced racism?

6 posts in this topic

This is inspired by Mike's "What's your worst experience with sexism?"

Personally, I have never experienced any racism in my life at least that I know of. No one has ever been openly hostile towards me for my race, though I have been met with some instances of ignorance before:

1. Once in high school, this guy walked up to me and asked, "Vince, are you Chinese or are you Asian?" After my epic facepalm, I responded with, "Are you stupid or are you dumb?"

2. Yet another time in high school, someone asked me to say "hello" in my native language. I responded by saying, "hello." He laughed then became serious, "No seriously, say it in your native language." Another epic facepalm.

It's pretty obvious that many people have this idea that Asians are all foreigners who have not successfully assimilated into American culture. Nine times out of ten, when people find out I'm Chinese, they ask me if I can speak the language. No one ever asks a white person if they speak German/French/Italian or a black person if they speak Kenyan or like a gangbanger (calm down everyone. It was a joke. Those who like my humor, go ahead and throw your heads back and laugh. Those of you who don't, just keep reading. I am not racist. I try to hate everyone equally, but it fluctuates depending on the day and the race of the person who cut me off while driving. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, Puerto Rican or vegetarian. I will hate you equally if you cut me off in the road. Well, if you're Asian I might especially hate you since we're stereotypically bad drivers. So for the good of public safety and our children, we shouldn't be allowed to drive by law.)

Moral of the story: Don't be racist. Either love everyone equally or hate everyone equally. To do anything else would be just plain mean  :P

5 people like this

I have. Probably the saddest thing that happened was when I had to break up a relationship because my then boyfriend's mother did not approve of me because I was a 'foreigner' and she didn't want one in her family. 

1 person likes this

Yup, tons of times. Though, in some cases it's been institutionalized (i.e. real racism) rather than mere prejudices/stupid c**p. I'm mixed (half Bengali, half Western/Northern European) so I've had my fair share, typically being the only mixed/not-totally-white/whatever everyone else was kid in the group/neighborhood. Throw in the fact that I'm Muslim (I once was part of a college ROTC unit ( it was a bad decision looking back...given the times and all), so I had to deal with plenty of "You're not a real American/you're probably a terrorist infiltrator, etc"., smh. I could probably write a book about that and other instances, but I'd rather not, lol. 

3 people like this

What do you call it if you experience "racism" from technically the same race but of a different culture and language? Any way, that is what I got in school. Being called derogatory names sometimes for my Dutch heritage. Also in the job market in South Africa we have affirmative action. It is not practiced everywhere as the law states it should but many companies adhere strongly to this policy. I once was told I couldn't get the job I really wanted because there is a certain amount of black employees that they must employ regardless whether the white candidates are better for the job. And that is how we get punished for the crimes of our fathers.

Though at one instance me and my family was saved by a black guy I believe. We were at a train station downtown trying to book tickets for a holiday trip. Now downtown Johannesburg I would say is similar to Detroit. Most people wouldn't dare go in there cause the chances of getting mugged or stabbed are quite good. At night you shouldn't even stop at the red lights cause you can get hijacked. I was still little at the time but remember it as well as yesterday. We were kinda lost in the station and were looking for the offices where we should book the tickets. At one place a black guy jumped up and stopped us. He looked scared and started pleading with us not to go any further down cause he said the people down there are going to kill us cause we are white. God were looking out for us on that day.

1 person likes this

Have I as an AA guy ever experienced racism, ...

Well that's probably like asking me if I've ever been cold or hot.

I'm thankful that I mostly grew up in SoCal away from the south where I was born where this sort of behavior was not only born but accepted by all.

Growing up in the "liberal" SoCal melting pot meant that I had and still have friends from many diverse ethnic and racial groups.  That I've not dated a lot but  the couple women I've dated have been from diverse racial groups. It's meant that I was exposed to different cultures and backgrounds and began to develop my mindset and view of people as just human beings with different melanin production and features. 

Unfortunately yes I have experienced racism, whether that's been dating and maybe the girl her parents they "simply cannot imagine" their daughter being with a tall black guy.

Or being pulled over for a simple, routine traffic stop and I'm handcuffed whereby my Caucasian friend who's actually the dude who's getting irate is simply told to calm down.

Or systemic racism whereby that I'd apply for that job and as soon as I walk into the room office for the interview I know that they're looking for someone who doesn't look like me.

But like I mentioned above I've been blessed to have lived a lot of my life in the Southwest and in very liberal parts of SoCal. That's meant that I've not received this for the most part as my way of living. 

However the dating thing does get to me more so than anything else and I've posted here on these forums about this topic. It's one of the only topics I've introduced actually. As I feel mostly most people aren't outwardly subjectively racist but it's the subtlety and "preferences" that are actually highly prevalent in racial groups.

Or if not the person but their "family pressure" to be with someone from their own racial group/ethnic culture.

In Canada i actually met this one old guy who wanted to sell my dad a motorcycle and had written some book which was basically a giant racist mess against muslims

Then i moved to Missouri and became a door to door vacuum salesman for awhile

while there was never racism directed towards me specifically there was a TONNN of racism towards black people, it was so bad that sometimes they would have to send me in the place of my black friend because they were worried he would get killed just based on what was said at the door

it was a typically like 70yr old+ democrat confederate flag all over the house people , but one time one of my friends ended up in a Nazi castle

you don't really get to find out sometimes until you are in the house and hear what they have to say

it was a scary job lol

1 person likes this