Mike

WANTED: A shorter nickname for "people that are waiting until marriage"

42 posts in this topic

Alright, I am sick to death of having to type out "people who are waiting till marriage" whenever I want to reference, well, people who are waiting till marriage (see?!). It's cumbersome, it forces me to have way-too-long article headlines, and it's not at all catchy.

Once upon a time, people were tired of saying "people who habitually abuse alcohol" over and over again so some brilliant person came up with the term "Alcoholic" and article writers were forever saved keystrokes and headline space.

I'm asking you to be that brilliant person. Let's brainstorm here. What's are some shorter nicknames we could use for "people who are waiting till marriage to have sex"?

Possibilities I've ruled out...

• Waiters - Works perfectly, grammatically, but too easy to confuse with people who wait tables
  • Virgins - Not everybody who is waiting till marriage is a virgin
  • People in wait - Still too long, and sounds too hopeless for my tastes
  • People who wait - Breaks down, grammatically and too long.
  • WTM People - WTM might be too obscure and hard to figure out at first glance. And not quite right, grammatically.

I'll start the brainstorming...

• WTMers
  • That's all I've got
  • See? I need your help!

There has got to be a way to say this that's easy to understand at first glance, yet much shorter and more fun. Seriously, suggest anything that pops into your mind!

1 person likes this

Alright, I am sick to death of having to type out "people who are waiting till marriage" whenever I want to reference, well, people who are waiting till marriage (see?!). It's cumbersome, it forces me to have way-to-long article headlines, and it's not at all catchy.

Once upon a time, people were tired of saying "people who habitually abuse alcohol" over and over again so some brilliant person came up with the term "Alcoholic" and article writers were forever saved keystrokes and headline space.

I'm asking you to be that brilliant person. Let's brainstorm here. What's are some shorter nicknames we could use for "people who are waiting till marriage to have sex"?

Possibilities I've ruled out...

1. Waiters - Works perfectly, grammatically, but too easy to confuse with people who wait tables
  2. Virgins - Not everybody who is waiting till marriage is a virgin
  3. People in wait - Still too long, and sounds too hopeless for my tastes
  4. People who wait - Breaks down, grammatically and too long.
  5. WTM People - WTM might be too obscure and hard to figure out at first glance. And not quite right, grammatically.

I'll start the brainstorming...

• WTMers
  • That's all I've got
  • See? I need your help!

There has got to be a way to say this that's easy to understand at first glance, yet much shorter and more fun. Seriously, suggest anything that pops into your mind!

How about Volcel till Marriage or VCTM?

How about Volcel till Marriage or VCTM?

Cool! I've never heard that word before. I had to Google it.

But that's the problem with that one: It's not self-explanatory. I don't think most people would understand it immediately. :(

But keep suggesting things!

Cool! I've never heard that word before. I had to Google it.

But that's the problem with that one: It's not self-explanatory. I don't think most people would understand it immediately. :(

But keep suggesting things!

Well ya could say Voluntarily Celibate Till Marriage...I shortened the first world, 'cause I've typically seen it used in that form...mostly on the Incel (involuntarily Celibate :P) Support Forum and at Urban Dictionary (:P)

Well ya could say Voluntarily Celibate Till Marriage...I shortened the first world, 'cause I've typically seen it used in that form...mostly on the Incel (involuntarily Celibate :P) Support Forum and at Urban Dictionary (:P)

Forgot to add...I don't see how you can be waiting and a non-virgin...like there really isn't anything solid behind the whole 'Born-Again Virgin' movement...they just sound like a bunch of hypocritical zealots who woke up to the 'waiting' thing a little too late. They're typically the kind to lecture me on my own faults...when I've abstained, even when they were screwing off and all. I mean, once you lose your virginity, you can't get it back...no matter how much you want it back...or how many spells or prayer you make. Maybe you can give up 'living in sin'...but getting your virginity back...sorry but, no. If it were that easy, then why wait now? Just give it up, have your worldy fun, and then when you FEEL like have moral/principles from which to soapbox the rest of us who actually lived by those very principle from the get go, you can pick it up at your local 'I Wanna Be A Virgin Again, So I Can Present A False Image of Myself to Others and Garner Praise I Don't Deserve...Plus All the Other Benefits of Waiting." Anywho, just had to add that...sorry for the rant...

Yeah Urban Dictionary is where I looked it up! It's a cool term that would almost work once people learned it. It does almost work perfectly, except it's more an adjective than a noun. I want a noun. Alcoholic. Overachiever. WizKid...all nice, grammatically-usable nouns.

I don't expect this to be an easy task. But if we come up one in the next year I'll be happy. :D

Also: Is there seriously a Incel support forum? :blink:

1 person likes this

This… is probably a bad idea. BUT! I think it could work. In the past groups that are being oppressed will often avoid stigmatization by assuming the mantle that their oppressor has given them. One example is of feminists embracing the term ‘slut.’ Of course not all feminists do this but some do. They take the word that men have assigned to them and make it their own.

I think that in this same fashion we, people who are waiting until marriage, can embrace the term ‘prude.’ Bear with me here, the textbook definition of the word prude is ‘a person excessively concerned about propriety* and decorum.’

Some other definitions include:

• A person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity
  • A prude (Old French prude meaning honorable woman) is a person who is described as (or would describe themselves as) being concerned with decorum or propriety, significantly in excess of normal prevailing community standards.
  • A person who is or tries to be excessively proper, especially one who is easily offended by matters of a sexual nature

Now, we’d have to stretch the term a bit because by and large I don’t think that we are necessarily offended by matters of a sexual nature. And how could we be? We live in a culture that is soaked in sleaze. It’s every which way we turn our heads. I do think we could work with the 'correct and appropriate behavior' part though.

Prude isn't a term that I've heard used much, but then again I keep to myself for the most part so I don't think most people that I meet ever really know that I'm waiting. I've heard other people being tormented with this word though, which is sad. Prude doesn't necessarily mean that someone is waiting but it does mean that someone is inexperienced or at least intentionally avoiding sexual activity. Here's a great definition from Urban Dictionary.

"Taken from the term "prod femmes" in pre-revolutionary France, meant that they were proud, wise, virtuous women. These days, it's more of a discriminatory word, stating that women could be "too" proper, too wise, and so on, especially when not interested in sex. It's also a word men *think* they can use in order to get women to perform sexual favors with them, and in order to put them down a notch - which in fact is absolute bullshit. The word prude may not seem like a good term, but it in fact is a compliment suggesting a lesser id and a higher intelligence and a stronger will and confidence than most."

Some examples in action might be -

Frat Guy 1: Hey did you hear about that website where all the prudes get together and talk about not having sex?

Frat Guy 2: Oh yeah! What a bunch of prudes! I have gonorrhea!

Virgin Girl 1: Ugh Todd keeps calling me a prude because I won't sleep with him, it's seriously getting me down.

Virgin Girl 2: Why are you even talking to that titanic douche? Dump his sorry ass. You'll be happier in the long run, trust me.

Slut 1: Ha Becky is such a prude, can you believe she's never even given a hand job?

Slut 2: Seriously!? I have zero self-esteem!

Virgin Guy: Do you think there is a girl out there for me?

Virgin Girl: For sure, I know I'm in the market for a prude dude. Don't worry, you'll make a girl very happy one day.

Ha those examples were a little mean spirited but fun to write! What does everyone think?

*propriety is correct or appropriate behavior

2 people like this

I think anything with WTM in it will work such as WTM People or WTMers. And if you think it's too obscure to figure out, I mean, people will get used to it in the end. I mean, 10+ years ago, I don't think anybody would have ever thought that "lol" would stand for "laugh out loud", but after time people got used to it. So, I think the same for WTMers or WTM people :) .

I think anything with WTM in it will work such as WTM People or WTMers.

Yeah I think I'm going to end up just continuing to use that WTM acronym. I mean, it works, doesn't it?

Although the more I think about it the more I really like Leo's "prude" idea; so creative. And I've used TempestDesh's Voluntary Virgin a few times too.

But alas, WTMers it is for now!

Frat Guy 1: Hey did you hear about that website where all the prudes get together and talk about not having sex?

Frat Guy 2: Oh yeah! What a bunch of prudes! I have gonorrhea!

Virgin Girl 1: Ugh Todd keeps calling me a prude because I won't sleep with him, it's seriously getting me down.

Virgin Girl 2: Why are you even talking to that titanic douche? Dump his sorry ass. You'll be happier in the long run, trust me.

Slut 1: Ha Becky is such a prude, can you believe she's never even given a hand job?

Slut 2: Seriously!? I have zero self-esteem!

Virgin Guy: Do you think there is a girl out there for me?

Virgin Girl: For sure, I know I'm in the market for a prude dude. Don't worry, you'll make a girl very happy one day.

Ha those examples were a little mean spirited but fun to write! What does everyone think?

*propriety is correct or appropriate behavior

roflmho! that was super hilarious! hahaha omg I love this!!! :DDDDDD ♥♥♥♥ *catching my breath* so funny...

roflmho! that was super hilarious! hahaha omg I love this!!! :DDDDDD ♥♥♥♥ *catching my breath* so funny...

roflmho? rolling on floor laughing my ___________ off? head? hair?

Head lol I remeber we debated that before; laughing my head off or sonething else....one I don't use obvi lol

Head lol I remeber we debated that before; laughing my head off or sonething else....one I don't use obvi lol

precisely what Sally said! & Mark your a goof! hahah "hair" hahah that's just funny.

I agree hah I think its cute hoe naive some of the guys on here abt certian things related to women (I'm more talking abt the measurements and other things) no offense to anyone, its cute.

I agree hah I think its cute hoe naive some of the guys on here abt certian things related to women (I'm more talking abt the measurements and other things) no offense to anyone, its cute.

Now who in their right mind would ask a question about women's measurements? I wonder who that could be.

I think you just got told your cute mark :lol: eh you are pretty cool thogh I like about every thing you have comented the last few days even if you are goof lol

I think you just got told your cute mark :lol: eh you are pretty cool thogh I like about every thing you have comented the last few days even if you are goof lol

(Crickets chirping) :mellow: I'm taking that as a compliment, lol.

Yes its a complent that was like the best coplemnt ever I. Was worried it was too much :)

Yes its a complent that was like the best coplemnt ever I. Was worried it was too much :)

Lol, I love being naive on this site :P !

I think WTMer will become more popular and is probably most apt. Maybe we pronounce it as "Wait tuh mer" instead of "dublyu tee emmer".

Usage: I saw a WTM at the ATM with a hefty account balance.

Because WTMers have a high cash balance just as their IQ.

1 person likes this

I'm curious how you became WTMers?  On another site I'm on we've always said Waiting Until Marriage and thus we refer to ourselves as WUMmers.  (said like summers)