Mike

How many people did you date before meeting your spouse?

8 posts in this topic

Hey Successful Waiters,

How many people did you date before meeting your spouse?

As many as you can remember; bonus points for differentiating between short-term and long-term tallies.  :D

1 person likes this

well that is just a math QUIZ, Mike!

let's see....2 seriously - 1 of whom lobbied for us to lose our virginities to each other...   another 5 or 6 fall in the short-term or we liked each other but not loved each other mode....

and perhaps more to everyone's habits...   when i wasn't "dating" - i group-dated a ton.   so i was a social guy - but in groups - when we weren't with BFs and GFs but wanted to hang out or go out or just get out...   and sometimes with a GF i would still join the group - those were my "mates"!   and honestly - the safety and sheer no-pressure fun of group dating kept me happy and being a social animal even when i really wasn't dating someone.... the end of the night in those cases did not include kissing :-).

4 people like this

I've gone on dates with 5 guys including my finace. I've only had 1 other relationship other than with my fiance.  ;)  :wub:

3 people like this

like dated dated well I dated 1 in hs and 1 in college but only loved the 1 in college. He was my first true love♥ and then my hubs :)

5 people like this

I dated one woman for 3 years (from when I was 16-19) and then I had over 10 years of not dating at all.  Then in my early thirties I dated two women for half a year each.  I was trying really hard to be straight and praying that God would fix me.  When the third relationship ended I felt like a monster because I know that she fell in love with me and I felt nothing.  So I vowed never to date a woman again and I decided to investigate if I could date a man.  (I'm Christian and quite committed to my faith so I had a lot of things to work through in terms of my faith and sexuality questions.)  

However  I finally worked through things and was open to dating a man.  Three weeks after I made that decision I was contacted by Dave.  Things started to develop between us and it just got better and better.  There was a part of me that worried about marrying the first guy I ever dated but it seemed silly to throw away a great relationship just because he was my first.  I had learned a lot about relationships in general from my other relationships.  So I ended up marrying the first guy I ever dated!

5 people like this

i think the fascinating thing about your story, Shane....    in your case...  you dated...   your learned about building relationships with people... and you learned something truly fundamental about yourself...   struggled...   and emerged knowing who you are and then being open to what that would lead to.   The magic is of course that Dave and you discovered one another at that moment... and so whether he was your first, your fourth, or your fourteenth... doesn't matter.   everything at the right moment in time.  :-)

3 people like this

I had four official "first dates," including the one with my husband. I also had this weird kinda-sorta complicated dating thing with this guy in France. But my husband was my first boyfriend. I was never in a relationship before him. It's funny because several of my friends and my twin brother had all guessed that I would end up marrying my first boyfriend, not out of desperation or anything, but because my standards were so high that I wouldn't bother being with someone who wasn't marriage material. They were right!

11 people like this

I dated only one guy when I was 15/16 for about 8 months. I thought it was serious, but looking back I don't consider it serious at all. I swore I wouldn't date again until I was 20 and Dan asked me out a month before I turned 19. He was my first serious relationship and I was also his first serious relationship. A lot of people in my family have ended up marrying the first person they seriously dated, but I never thought I would. Kind of crazy!

2 people like this