Mike

How exhausted did the journey make you if at all?

4 posts in this topic

Asked by LovingLana...

How exhausted did the journey make you if at all? Had you not have found the one, how many more years longer do you think you could have successfully waited?

this is a great question...  but a hard one to answer as i'm not sure i know that answer!

so first off - exhaustion.   Truthfully, i was more exhausted surviving the engagement than i was by dating.  I know that sounds backwards...  but the engagement was exhausting and draining.   All the planning, all the decisions, all the how-do-we-find-a-place together and move after we get married, in our case where do we live (we were living in separate cities through most of our engagement), and then of course the exhaustion of I want to BE with you....   but we're waiting LOL.   (just being human guys...).

i wasn't really exhausted by "waiting" per se...   not until we were so close to being married - and then it's more about being impatient than it is exhaustion.   By the time the wedding day is nearly in sight...   that's actually the problem... it's so close, you KNOW you're getting married.....   etc LOL.   So impatience becomes the bigger problem.

But this sort of relates to the second part of your question - how many years longer do i think i would have waited.   I have to say - for me at least - i wanted to wait.   I think - or maybe I just hope? - that i would have waited as long as it took.  There was nothing in me even then with my GF who would become my wife eventually that made me think well... maybe i'll give in and have sex with her.   You may or may not recall, but my wife was not a virgin - she had had two serious relationships before me- but even while we were dating i did not feel the press or exhaustion of giving in to having sex.

so I do like to think that if it had taken me another 20 yrs I would have waited to have sex.   When you haven't had sex, you paint pictures of it for yourself...  but in the end, i knew that i only wanted to do that with a serious dating partner who would eventually be my wife...   it never exhausted me to date and not have sex...   it only started to creep in when i was very serious about my wife as a GF and then impatience when we were engaged a while and we just wanted that step of connection to...   granted we  did wait, but you get to a point where that seems really nice :-).

hope that answered your question.

3 people like this

this is a great question...  but a hard one to answer as i'm not sure i know that answer!

so first off - exhaustion.   Truthfully, i was more exhausted surviving the engagement than i was by dating.  I know that sounds backwards...  but the engagement was exhausting and draining.   All the planning, all the decisions, all the how-do-we-find-a-place together and move after we get married, in our case where do we live (we were living in separate cities through most of our engagement), and then of course the exhaustion of I want to BE with you....   but we're waiting LOL.   (just being human guys...).

i wasn't really exhausted by "waiting" per se...   not until we were so close to being married - and then it's more about being impatient than it is exhaustion.   By the time the wedding day is nearly in sight...   that's actually the problem... it's so close, you KNOW you're getting married.....   etc LOL.   So impatience becomes the bigger problem.

But this sort of relates to the second part of your question - how many years longer do i think i would have waited.   I have to say - for me at least - i wanted to wait.   I think - or maybe I just hope? - that i would have waited as long as it took.  There was nothing in me even then with my GF who would become my wife eventually that made me think well... maybe i'll give in and have sex with her.   You may or may not recall, but my wife was not a virgin - she had had two serious relationships before me- but even while we were dating i did not feel the press or exhaustion of giving in to having sex.

so I do like to think that if it had taken me another 20 yrs I would have waited to have sex.   When you haven't had sex, you paint pictures of it for yourself...  but in the end, i knew that i only wanted to do that with a serious dating partner who would eventually be my wife...   it never exhausted me to date and not have sex...   it only started to creep in when i was very serious about my wife as a GF and then impatience when we were engaged a while and we just wanted that step of connection to...   granted we  did wait, but you get to a point where that seems really nice :-).

hope that answered your question.

That sounds a lot like DD and I's engagement too-as we are in separate cities too. There's definitely a countdown mindset sometimes, so that I'm not overwhelmed by the exhaustion-only a few more months of the back-and-forth, traveling, not getting to see each other every weekend, then we will finally BE together!! (In more than one way ;)  There are soooo many decisions and so much planning to do that all that in and of itself can be exhausting! We'll have a weekend chuck full of wedding related stuff and another weekend with nothing related to that in order to get a break! :P

4 people like this

well I wasn't too exhausted my husband had to chain me down because I loooved being single! lol jk but probably forever. I just want to say if you are single and WTM you are truly in a special place never take those moments you have for yourself for granted because once you get married your time for you is split and it's not as exciting as it sounds. Idk could just because I have a very independent nature compared to my husband who wants to spend every waking moment stuck to me.