Mike

Did you have differences in religion? How did you resolve them?

6 posts in this topic

Asked by Jordan...

If you and your spouses had differences in religion (I'm shooting in the dark because I obviously don't know this), how did you resolve them?

we were both protestant - different specific churches - but both protestant.   she had been going less often... and as part of our dating relationship, she began to join me in going to my church.   that was the way we "resolved" it...   hardly a resolution... more a commitment that together we liked that church and wanted to be part of it ongoingly.   she eventually joined "my" church.   of the two of us, I am perhaps more "religious" in my practice, but over time we have joined that church, been active in sunday school, baptized our children and had them in sunday school, etc.

2 people like this

We met in the same church, so we had that sorted from the start :)

It was great knowing that she was always thinking along the same lines as me spiritually, and we really cherish that. I don't think I could date a non-Christian...

4 people like this

We are both of the same religion and I think that being the same religion can be a great bonding experience. You are able to share your spirituality with them in the same way. 

3 people like this

We are both Christian.  When we were dating we went to the same church and I really enjoyed our shared church experience.  However after a year into marriage, my husband said he wanted a break from church.  That has been difficult for me because sharing our faith together is something important to me.  However he is very supportive of me being very involved in church things he just doesn't want to be involved himself.  I'm hoping and praying that things will change in the future, but I know that the worst thing you can do for someone's faith is to force them to go to church. 

3 people like this

Hey,

This is sort of an old topic, and I know I'm not married, but it disappointed me that there weren't very many interfaith marriage responses. I'm pretty sure my parents waited till marriage though, and my mom is Catholic, while my dad is Jewish. I know from their stories that it was very difficult for them. They even broke up over it I think, but my dad was exhausted in dating Jewish girls he didn't love. He realized he loved my mom regardless of religion, and they raised us Catholic because of the whole mother transfers religion thing. He knew that my mom would do a good job because she was strong in her faith and that's what really mattered. I can honestly say I'm very glad to be raised knowing both religions and it has taught me respect of other faiths. I love seeing how the religions connect and differ, and the history of both. It makes my culture more rich because I am surrounded by both religions and their culture. Also celebrating Jewish holidays out of respect for my dad is always great.