Mike

Happy New Year 2014!

18 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody!

Welcome the annual WTM.org new year’s post! (albiet a few days belated)

2013 Recap

I spent most of 2013 writing The Waiting Till Marriage Survival Guide instead of doing other site updates. Despite this, our daily traffic still grew 25% from 1500 visitors per day to 2000 visitors per day. And lots of other cool things happened...

• 2 couples who met here at WTM.org got engaged (Chris & Princess Z, Sally & Dodgedude)

• 250 new people joined and posted

• 24 new articles were posted on the main site

• Sexless and the City Season 2 premiered

• The Waiting Till Marriage Survival Guide was written, released, and continues to sell!

• Financially, WTM.org is now officially self-sustaining! At the rate the book is selling, we are on track to completely cover server, domain, and software costs every month. This is not small news.

So all-in-all, an eventful year. But I’m going to try to make 2014 even moreso.

2014 Plan

Here are some things that are on my list for 2014…

• v3.0 Redesign - The next version of the site will load faster, work better on phones and tablets, and hopefully sign-up more new members.

• Dating features - A few of you know about the dating feature I’m working on. I have The WTM Matchmaker feature (working title) about 50% finished already, and plan to launch it soon after the 3.0 redesign. Hopefully we’ll see lots more WTM.org couples!

• Your Member Blogs on the home page. After the redesign, the blogs you post the Member Blogs feature will show up on the main site/blog. The idea here is that you'll get more readers, and you'll help keep the WTM.org home page fresh by default.

• Ask a Successful Waiter - Ian, AussieStig, Jennifer, OneHappyGirl (and soon: Sally, Dodgedude, Chris, and Princess Zelda) are precious resources here, and this year we'll have a feature on the main site to organize their advice and let visitors (and members, of course) ask them questions.

Those are the main things. And hopefully, we’ll see faster traffic growth and lots more new members too. So happy new year! I think it’s going to be a very eventful year for WTM.org. Let me know if you have any ideas!

P.S. - Our profile on reality TV star Angela Zatopek is now live! I think she has some of the best quotes about waiting yet.

14 people like this

The Blog thing inspires me to write one :D...

Awesome to see everything that's gone on inside a year, 7 days until I've been here for exactly a year.

Can't wait to see more future progress!

1 person likes this

Keep up the good work! This site has been helping a lot of people. Happy New Year to us all!

1 person likes this

We're proud of your accomplishments, Mike! Looking forward to the great changes that are coming in this new year "_

2 people like this

hello! a question here. how do i buy the book? seems like an interesting one that i want to read. LEt me know please. Thanks

1 person likes this

Great stats right there! :)

Just curious.. the 2 WTM couples you mentioned getting married, did they meet on this website or were they already dating and then they both decided to join this site whilst dating?

1 person likes this

Great stats right there! :)

Just curious.. the 2 WTM couples you mentioned getting married, did they meet on this website or were they already dating and then they both decided to join this site whilst dating?

This isn't a dating website (although it seems we're adding dating features), but both couples did meet here before they started dating.

This isn't a dating website (although it seems we're adding dating features), but both couples did meet here before they started dating.

Oh yeah I knew this wasn't a dating site :) lol I just thought it was really neat if there were some couples who married after meeting each other on this site. It would be interesting to hear their stories I think :)

3 people like this

Happy New Year Guys! Looking forward to the new features on the site. 

1 person likes this

@Joy - Follow Vince's link! You can also buy the book on Amazon, for like $0.01 cheaper.

This isn't a dating website (although it seems we're adding dating features)

I think once we launch the dating feature, maybe I'd be OK with WTM.org being referred to as a dating site. Especially since The WTM Matchmaker (working title) is kind of anti-creeper by design (famous last words), so it'll almost require that people get to know each other before they can declare their affections. Maybe our new stance will be "join and get to know people, and if you like somebody, use the The WTM Matchmaker to find out if they return your affections!"

Ultimately, the purpose of WTM.org is to make waiters happy and validated, and the quickest, most thorough way to do that is to hook them up with each other. I'd be OK if we eventually become pretty much a dating site.  :lol:

@Everybody (Vince already knows how the dating feature will work, but you guys might not)

How the dating feature will work: To use The WTM Matchmaker (working title) feature, you'll send an outgoing "crush" to a particular member, and then that member will be notifed that "somebody" likes them. Then they'll have to guess who it is, based on who THEY like. If you match, you're both notified. If not, your crush will never know that you were the sender, and everybody saves face. So a match depends on both people knowing each other (or knowing OF each other) and liking each other already. Hopefully this will cut down on willy-nilly date-messaging by new members. 

So, let's say I like Susie. I pop open The WTM Matchmaker, type in Susie, and hit send. Susie gets notified that "somebody" likes her, and is prompted to type in the name of the person she likes. If she types in "Mike," we're both notified that we match, and can start PMing like people who like each other. If she types in "Vince" because she likes Vince and not me (screw you, Vince, stealing my hypothetical girl), then nothing happens. Susie is notified that her guess didn't match, and encouraged to send Vince a Matchmaker crush thingy. That's it. I don't feel explicitly rejected because maybe Susie just hasn't gotten to know me well enough to like me. And Susie doesn't feel weird for rejecting me next time we're hanging out in chat, because she never explicitly knows it was me.

7 people like this

with all due respect to Apple....    you have a bit of "WTM GeniusBar" going on with this model....    which seems (to a 50yo) potentially an interesting naming direction to explore.   one man's thought.

1 person likes this

@Ian - Haha I like that. I could even approximate Apple's genius icon. 

1 person likes this

Great progress on your site, Mike!  And what a bright future!

1 person likes this

If she types in "Vince" because she likes Vince and not me (screw you, Vince, stealing my hypothetical girl), then nothing happens. Susie is notified that her guess didn't match, and encouraged to send Vince a Matchmaker crush thingy. That's it. I don't feel explicitly rejected because maybe Susie just hasn't gotten to know me well enough to like me. And Susie doesn't feel weird for rejecting me next time we're hanging out in chat, because she never explicitly knows it was me.

If this is somehow prophetic, then I will keep an eye out for a new member named Susie ;)

4 people like this