Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

Do you feel like the media gives an inaccurate depiction of females??

18 posts in this topic

I posted a very similar question on the Guy Questions section, asking about how males are depicted in the media.

I, personally, am pretty disgusted by the way girls are handled in the media. I mean TV, movies, literature, magazines, etc. Not only have women been incredibly sexualized, but they are also Photoshopped to the extreme (magazines.) I feel like when it comes to us women, we are like ornaments in the celebrity world. I mean, male celebrities never wear make-up, and they can walk around all scruffy and that's called cute or handsome.

Plus, it is now considered "strong," "independent," and "empowering" if a woman is either promiscuous, somewhat promiscuous, and has a b****y attitude. And the worst part is that when very popular female characters are made to be mild-tempered, conservative, and intellectual, they end up living in the shadow of men and allowing themselves to be controlled (like Bella Swan.) The characters always wear make-up, dress provocatively, etc. Which is okay if it wasn't for the fact that it is almost all the time.

I'm not really sure how to express my opinions. Mainly because I feel so strongly that girls and women are being depicted so badly by the media, and I just have too much to say on that matter. >.< I think I can sum up my feelings in this one sentence: Women used to be looked upon as objects of childbirth, and now we are being looked upon as objects of sex.

What do you think?

I agree in a way. Women were created to be respected, adored, loved, etc. The media has done their job in sexualizing women and "teaching" many, especially our young ones, that being promiscuous is a way to be popular, independent, pro-feminist, etc. This also I think is a reason why many girls/women do not wait until marriage any more.

I agree the media is total garbage they sell you bad news. Like the news came out that the victoria secret model adrianna waited till marriage I would have never known this if it wasnt for this site. Yet I bet you if it was sex tape it would be all over the news and what not for months. When honestly the should have wrote a story on her waiting and how she was able to wait so long and never give into temptation and etc..... The media only shows what sells and thats the problem.

1 person likes this

I agree the media is total garbage they sell you bad news. Like the news came out that the victoria secret model adrianna waited till marriage I would have never known this if it wasnt for this site. Yet I bet you if it was sex tape it would be all over the news and what not for months. When honestly the should have wrote a story on her waiting and how she was able to wait so long and never give into temptation and etc..... The media only shows what sells and thats the problem.

I know. And I googled "celebrities waiting until marriage" and I was surprised at how many are doing that. Plus, more celebrities than you think waited until age 20...Tina Fey was 24 and lost her virginity to her husband (but they weren't married.)

I agree in a way. Women were created to be respected, adored, loved, etc. The media has done their job in sexualizing women and "teaching" many, especially our young ones, that being promiscuous is a way to be popular, independent, pro-feminist, etc. This also I think is a reason why many girls/women do not wait until marriage any more.

I hate how promiscuity is being seen and taught as "pro-feminist." Girls are being taught that by being sexually free, they are taking control and power over their own bodies. I don't think that at all.

1 person likes this

I hate how promiscuity is being seen and taught as "pro-feminist." Girls are being taught that by being sexually free, they are taking control and power over their own bodies. I don't think that at all.

I'm glad to hear another girl say that :) . In my experience, most girls call me anti-feminist, etc. for saying something like that.

1 person likes this

I think feminism is good; for voting, equal pay, more jobs available, etc. I agree that its not good for sex life/romantic relationship.

omg, Sophie, omg. I can go on about this. I don't even understand why some people are so obssessed with the media and trying to look like some star or beauty queen.

The media tries to portray people of perfection through digital enhancement and alterations. Like, (we've researched this in class)they'll get different parts of people's faces and put them together to make a perfect picture or some models won't even be actually wearing makeup or be all done up crazy but the photoshop, etc. will make them appear that way to achieve a "perfect look." Why bother with what the media says? No-one will ever be freakin' what they want-they don't even know what they want their trends and idea of what's in or not are always changing! You're too pale, you're too dark, your hair is too short, too long, your too tall, too short, too skinny, too curvy-wth??

As long as a person looks decent and takes care of themselves and acts appropriate and proper than that's all a girl needs. Girls are just naturally pretty anyways with out all the extra stuff the media tries to shove down our throats-we're girls so we can always get away with being pretty/decent looking♥

and on the feminist movement I think women took it to extremes they just went overboard. (Everything in moderation.)

very true, Seeflo! Like some of the(I'm a media major) big wigs don't necessarily condone with their own advertisments or movies but like you said-whatever is going to make them money they'll produce.

I think feminism is good; for voting, equal pay, more jobs available, etc. I agree that its not good for sex life/romantic relationship.

EXACTLY! lol. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm glad to hear another girl say that :) . In my experience, most girls call me anti-feminist, etc. for saying something like that.

I had a friend get very mad at me an call me "anti-feminist" when I expressed my disgust towards casual sex and when I said that it is not empowering when a woman is promiscuous - she is merely allowing her body to be used by men who couldn't care less about her existence or personality. To me, it is empowering for a girl to say "no" and only have sex in True Love relationships or wait until marriage.

1 person likes this

and on the feminist movement I think women took it to extremes they just went overboard. (Everything in moderation.)

Exactly what I believe! But, I can't profess it too much, might get beat up or something, lol!

Yes I agree with this so much .

and I agree with what sally said.it sad how the media affect young girls so much other than being a family\marrage consler I relly considerd would have also liked to consul girl with poor self image. I mena look how many young girls have eating disorder there thoght to be preety or loved they have to look exacty like the fake girls on tv and be permiscurus. Look how many informtural even are selling product for female self improvment. Woorkout equpment, diteplans, (togh I'm happy abut working out it should be to be helty not just trying to sell by telling girl they should look a sertan way) liposuction, nose jobs, boob jobs, botox/ ton and tons of makeup the lit realy gose on and its not jut in the meda anyomre it gotten so programed into pepole that we actuly begen to judje on theses qulity. How many time do you see some stick thin sluty miss thang who tretes pepole like dirt is well loved. But some girl who is realy sweet to everyone but isn't the medias vershon of prety is ingnored and harased its redeculose

Hey!

I had a friend get very mad at me an call me "anti-feminist" when I expressed my disgust towards casual sex and when I said that it is not empowering when a woman is promiscuous - she is merely allowing her body to be used by men who couldn't care less about her existence or personality. To me, it is empowering for a girl to say "no" and only have sex in True Love relationships or wait until marriage.

Ditto. The feminist movement has gone so far wrong nowadays. Back in the good old days of the 19th century "first-wave" feminists, you hade women fighting for equal rights, equal pay, the right to vote, the right to stand for election. They were against abortion and believed that motherhood was liberating. And, things began to get better.

Then came the "second-wave" feminists in the 1960's. You had women fighting for contraception, abortion, reproductive "rights". The freedom to have sex whenever and with whoever you wanted was supposed to be liberating.

Really? I don't feel liberated. I don't see how the knowledge that I could kill my unborn child if I ever wanted to is liberating. I don't see how me taking the Pill is liberating: I don't see how me putting chemicals into my body to mess with my hormones, increase my risk of breast cancer, and destroy my natural fertility cycle rendering the sacred, beautiful act of lovemaking completely sterile, is in any way liberating. I don't feel liberated by the idea of letting any man use my body purely for his own pleasure, for fun, is liberating, or the fact that people now see sex as something trivial and worthless, rather than the expression of true love it should be.

And...I'll finish my rant there. I could go on. I mean, to me, the feminists nowadays don't even deserve to be called feminists!

xxx

1 person likes this

Hey!

Ditto. The feminist movement has gone so far wrong nowadays. Back in the good old days of the 19th century "first-wave" feminists, you hade women fighting for equal rights, equal pay, the right to vote, the right to stand for election. They were against abortion and believed that motherhood was liberating. And, things began to get better.

Then came the "second-wave" feminists in the 1960's. You had women fighting for contraception, abortion, reproductive "rights". The freedom to have sex whenever and with whoever you wanted was supposed to be liberating.

Really? I don't feel liberated. I don't see how the knowledge that I could kill my unborn child if I ever wanted to is liberating. I don't see how me taking the Pill is liberating: I don't see how me putting chemicals into my body to mess with my hormones, increase my risk of breast cancer, and destroy my natural fertility cycle rendering the sacred, beautiful act of lovemaking completely sterile, is in any way liberating. I don't feel liberated by the idea of letting any man use my body purely for his own pleasure, for fun, is liberating, or the fact that people now see sex as something trivial and worthless, rather than the expression of true love it should be.

And...I'll finish my rant there. I could go on. I mean, to me, the feminists nowadays don't even deserve to be called feminists!

xxx

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Except about the abortion thing (I am pro-choice.) What's so feminist about sleeping around anyways? Everyone does it, barely anyone cares anymore...there's nothing left to be "feminist" about. Feminism is about fighting for female rights that we don't have. So many countries abuse their women terribly, and even in America and Canada, equal pay is still a problem. THAT'S something to fight for. I believe very, very strongly in gender equality and I don't know what ever made people think that women messing around with guys in bed made them "equal" to men. These girls actually think they're empowering themselves...I just think guys have it better now than ever. And then the guys of this world who prefer serious relationships - or want to WTM - find it much harder to date or marry a girl with the same values.

Exactly what I believe! But, I can't profess it too much, might get beat up or something, lol!

hahaha Mark you are something else! lol you're totally fine! My brothers always say that about girls and I always agree with them! so no worries you're good I'll stick up for you :P

Hey!

xxx

wow, Jegs! You go girl! I agree 100%! I think shows like "The Bad Girls Club" and even shows like "Toddler's and Tiara's" are very detrimental to females and their image and what is empowering. I think a lot of the times it's that people know what is right but want to deviate from it and try and justify their actions.

hahaha Mark you are something else! lol you're totally fine! My brothers always say that about girls and I always agree with them! so no worries you're good I'll stick up for you :P

Lol, thanks! It's nice to have a supporter ;) .