MissTO

Would you stop dating someone because your parent's don't like their nationality or socioeconomic status?

10 posts in this topic

na·tion·al·i·ty  (nabreve.gifshlprime.gifschwa.gif-nabreve.giflprime.gifibreve.gif-temacr.gif, nabreve.gifsh-nabreve.giflprime.gif-)

n. pl. na·tion·al·i·ties
1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
3. Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.

I think I would consider their point of view , maybe there is something I am missing or not paying attention to ...

Try to convince them to know the person better , maybe they would change their minds . 

After all , most of the parents' actions are based on love & what they think is best for their children , even if we dont see it that way  

1 person likes this

I would agree with @Maryqueen. Like trying to understand why they wouldn't want me to date that person but at the end of the day I make the final choice. I also would ask him about how he feels  and thinks(well that's if he know my family doesn't like him), because it would definently feel weird to be in a room where you know the people don't like you.

But if I can see like a future with that person then I would probably date them anyway as long as they themselves were okay with it. My family means alot to me but I feel like if they were going to put their own horrible judgements obove my happiness then I don't even care what they think anymore. Thankfully they aren't like that.

I hope that made sense.

1 person likes this

No way! A lot of members of my family are a little bit racist or group people into stereotypes. But that doesn't mean I have to do the same. I like people for how I feel about them, I don't think about nationality really... Well, I am very mixed, like latin-european with a little african in there, so I sometimes think I should try and date an asian girl so my kids will be even more mixed xD but I'm not serious about that haha.

I would definitely consider it because I trust my parent's judgment especially pertaining to socioeconomic status but at the end of the day I would make the final decision. If it caused a lot of strife in my family and was outside of pure stereotypes then I would probably stop dating the person. Then again I'd like to think I'd do a good job with picking my guy so there's little strife in the family. 

My family is not like that, but if they were, I might consider their opinions, but I wouldn't dump someone due to their socioeconomic status or their nationality. 

Edited by EWZ

My family is not like that, but if they were, I might consider their onions, but I wouldn't dump someone due to their socioeconomic status or their nationality. 

Considering their onions might make you a little teary-eyed. Try and stay as far away from them as possible to avoid this.

5 people like this