Jegsy Scarr

Who is your favourite saint?

12 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

So, in the honour of All Saints Day (hope all the Catholics here remembered Mass!), thought I'd ask...Who's your favourite saint? Say more than one if you can't make up your mind!

I'll go first...

St Catherine of Siena: My Confirmation saint! Doctor of the Church, stigmatic, mystic, wrote awesome stuff, had visions...Plus, her body's incorrupt, so some day I'll go see her head. It's in a fancy case.

St Lawrence: Used to be my all-time favourite saint. He's said to have laughed all the way through his martyrdom, when he was put on a griddle and roasted to death over a fire. Therefore, he was made patron saint of comedians. And cooks, because the Church has a weird sense of humour.

St Maria Goretti: One of the youngest canonised saints. Killed fending off an attacker, who she forgave before her death.

St Gianna Molla: A mother who gave her life for her unborn daughter, going above and beyond the call of duty.

Those are some of my favourites. Your turn!

xxx

2 people like this

Saint Francis, cause I went to a Franciscan high school. 

1 person likes this

Some of my favorite saints are St. Peter, St. Thomas Aquinas, and St. Therese of Lisieux.

2 people like this

You evil Catholics and your superhero, polytheistic view of saints. :P

Alright, this Protestant will play your game:

Augustine of Hippo: Among the greatest of the Church Fathers and Christian theologians. His teachings heavily influenced concepts such as the just war theory and movements such as Calvinism.

St. Jerome: For one reason and one reason only: He translated the Bible in.....

The Apostle John: Come on now, anyone who wrote a Gospel has to be worth mentioning. Plus, he was the only apostle to die a natural death. Yes, he's that hardcore. lol

5 people like this

Vince mentioned all the ones I was thinking of save one:

Saint Michael the Archangel

I mean common how awesome is his prayer. Not to mention he is the one bound to crush Satan in the end. Okay so I am a bit biased since I am a Devil Dog but knowing that I have The Lord's protection and His Angel of Death at my side creates quite a bit of reassurance. A reassurance that allows me to live up to "When death smiles, we smile back." Since he is an angel mentioned in the Bible you can't doubt his sainthood or existence.

**Since I don't celebrate Halloween; All Saint's Day seemed the logical alternative for this Protestant Italian

5 people like this

St Francis of Assisi, and St Agnes of Rome (patron of betrothed couples and chastity).

2 people like this

Saint Germaine Cousin.  Her simple nobility and endless forgiveness of those that spurned her inspires me to be a better man.

1 person likes this

Mine is Saint Paul. From militant, serious anti-Christ pagan/atheist >road to damascus> strong follower of Christ (zealot). 

4 people like this

Saint Cuthbert, believe it or not, he is an actual saint and not just that one D&D god with the mace. You'd be surprised to learn how many don't realize that (unless they look it up themselves out of curiousity) I had an interesting time learning about the real Saint Cuthbert. 

I also like Saint Hildegard just because of her intelligence she claimed was a gift from God and was humble about it and had some pretty historically significant works of writing. She did so much compared to other women of her time which is why I love her as a role model. 

2 people like this

There are way too many to pick from.... In no particular order it would be St. Padre Pio, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Anthony of Padua ( got to love the Franciscans :P) St. Michael the archangel, St. Joseph, St. Rita of Cascia, St. Bernadette, St. Therese of Liseaux, St. Alphonsus Ligouri, St. Francis Xavier. 

If you want to read the writings of the saints and great catholic Literature click the link below its got tons of free PDF files that would last a lifetime!

http://www.catholicdoors.com/misc/ebooks.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

2 people like this

St Lawrence: Used to be my all-time favourite saint. He's said to have laughed all the way through his martyrdom, when he was put on a griddle and roasted to death over a fire. Therefore, he was made patron saint of comedians. And cooks, because the Church has a weird sense of humour.

He is still my favourite saint for all of these reasons and more, and I want him to be my patron saint upon baptism.  :D

Some other favourites of mine (so far):

Saint_John_of_Damascus

Saint_John_Chrysostom

Saint_Spyridon

Saint_Polycarp

James_Intercisus

2 people like this