lexxy53

When my friends talk about religion and God...

21 posts in this topic

When my group of friends talk about God and religion, I get really sad.  :mellow: 

They are all atheists, with the exception of one guy, who's also in my class. 

Some of them, believe there is a God, or something of greater power, but obviously don't live a very religious lifestyle (especially with what they talk about (sex, religion, etc)). 

Lately they were having a discussion about religion, and were joking about having a religion involving Star Wars, which I found quite amusing to listen to (I am quite good at tuning out of their anti-Christianity stuff), but anyway, they started talking about hell. 

Then this really lively and feisty discussion started about going to hell, and how they don't care about going to hell, because they'll 'rule the place' and they think it's going to be amazing and etc etc. In principal, I don't mind dealing with things like that, but they just kept going on and on and on, and eventually I got so pissed/sad that I was on the verge of crying, until I sought out that one Christian guy from the class, who eventually calmed me down. 

I don't know what to do?  :mellow:

I love my friends a lot, and they usually aren't 'bad' people, they don't usually get drunk, none of them smoke/do drugs, and we're all very respectful towards one another. Just lately, they've been talking about alcohol and religion a lot, and even though they're not directly 'attacking' my opinion, I always feel very alone in this, and sad.

And help/tips?

Thanks! 

1 person likes this

You need to surround yourself with people that will encourage you in the most important areas of your life. If they don't consider your feelings in such conversations then maybe you should tell them how you feel or find friends who will care more about your feelings. You also have to take into consideration that certain types of people will negatively influence you (I don't mean religion) say all your friends party and drink..:is it more likely for them to stop because of you or for you to join them? Just remember to surround yourself with positive people that will encourage you and take how you feel into consideration:) hope I helped a little.

2 people like this

A tip from a Christian guy, ....

Listen to these lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=2mvzFgqgGDI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2mvzFgqgGDI

Gotta love this:

But if we are the body

Why aren't His arms reaching?

Why aren't His hands healing?

Why aren't His words teaching?

And if we are the body

Why aren't His feet going?

Why is His love not showing them there is a way?

There is a way

Then of course there's this, get involved with your faith community.

There's always things that need doing, people that should be reached.

And through the process you'll make some like-minded, and really positive friendships.

Hope you're looking forward to a blessed weekend!

A tip from a Christian guy, ....

Listen to these lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=2mvzFgqgGDI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2mvzFgqgGDI

Gotta love this:

But if we are the body

Why aren't His arms reaching?

Why aren't His hands healing?

Why aren't His words teaching?

And if we are the body

Why aren't His feet going?

Why is His love not showing them there is a way?

There is a way

Then of course there's this, get involved with your faith community.

There's always things that need doing, people that should be reached.

And through the process you'll make some like-minded, and really positive friendships.

Hope you're looking forward to a blessed weekend!

Is that Casting Crowns?

I definitely feel for you! I was having a conversation with a friend and colleague of mine just yesterday about something similar. He also is a Christian and some of his friends not. Perhaps your friends see "religion" different than we do. I always tell people that the Christianity isn't exactly a religion like one some would suspect. It is a relationship with God. A relationship of unending love. It is quite common for Christians to feel alone. Best is to be the light among your friends. If God's light shines out from you they will see that there is something different that they don't have. And pray for them. Sometimes the strongest Christians are those who opposed it. Take Paul for instance.

4 people like this

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. :) I'll do some thinking on what every one of you has said. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free.  :)

Well first of all, they're atheists, so they don't believe in hell. Therefore they don't ACTUALLY think hell will be awesome cuz they don't believe in it. I'm an atheist too and like most atheists, I get frustrated with religion sometimes. I've never said stuff like that before but most likely they did so because they believe religion is all made up so "hey, let's make up stuff too: hell is an awesome place, we'll rule it, etc." They don't genuinely believe that at all. Atheists (probably especially those in religious countries,) can feel incredibly suffocated by religion. It's easy to become bitter about it and we can end up saying offensive things out of frustration that are meant to be a joke. But hey, we get told we need "saving" and are "going to Hell" and get questions like "if you're an atheist, how come you're such a good person?" So yeah...hurtful stuff works both ways here.

4 people like this

I just don't see how a fun chat about a Star Wars religion is anti-Christain.

1 person likes this

Any religion that isn't Christian is anti-Christian. :P

1 person likes this

Hmm...You know your friends better than me, of course, so only you'll know if this advice will be relevant to them, or not...

But anyway, you said that you got really upset, which is understandable, and went to the Christian guy in your class to feel better. If that's the case, then maybe you should try your best to find some more friends who share your beliefs. If you still want to be friends with your atheist friends, then that's fine, of course. I've got a few very good friends who are atheists. But I like that I have other friends who are Catholic, so that if I ever want someone to talk to who understands me, then I can talk to them. That's one thing you could do. I remember when I was at high school, where there weren't that many people who were Catholic (or at least, not Catholic Catholic...). Even though they were really good friends, it was great to talk to like-minded people every now and then, especially when I had a problem or was troubled or whatnot...

Also, if your friends are just joking around and it doesn't bother you too much, then that's fine, but these guys are your friends! So if what they're saying is really bothering you, I think it's perfectly okay for you to say to them, "Sorry guys, but could you not say stuff like that? I know you're not trying to be mean, or anything, but it's very hurtful for me to hear things like that" etc. They're your friends, and they're nice people, so I'm sure if something is really bothering you, then they won't say it again.

(Obviously, you don't want to tell them to stop every time they say something that you just disagree with: e.g. "I don't believe in God", or whatever. You still want them to be able to say what they think around you, but if it's getting out of hand to the point where they're just insulting religion, or whatever, then I think it's perfectly okay for you to politely ask them to stop.)

Another thing you could do (which is something I try to do when I can) is just give your opinion on things, or ask them questions about why they believe what they do. For example, for something like the situation you said where they were all joking around about going to Hell, then you could try to derail the conversation right at the beginning. For example, when the first guy says something like, "Oh, I don't know, Hell sounds okay to me!" you could add something like, "*rolling your eyes* Oh, yeah. Eternal suffering, cut off from an all-loving God forever...That sounds really fun." - Something like that, but with a smile, so they know you're serious, but you're not angry with them, or anything. You can add in things about your faith, but keep it light. If they do have a serious-ish conversation about something to do with religion, then add in your opinions, again keeping it fairly light so they don't feel threatened.

And I think it's good to ask people questions, like, "Do you mind if I ask? Why don't you believe in God? Any particular reason, or..." And then just let them talk to you (if they're willing to, of course). Ask questions, just nod along, and just try to understand the reasons for their beliefs. That might help you to understand more about them so you can answer questions and stuff they might ask later on. And it might make them more willing to ask you questions about Christianity, which you can then use as an opportunity to help them understand you better. But that'll depend on how open they are to answering/asking questions.

And...Just in general, try to be joyful in expressing your faith. Even just casually mentioning God with a smile on your face every now and then...That might just help them to have a more positive view about Christians and Christianity, which might make them less likely to be so anti-Christian.

Anyway, that's just some of my thoughts. I don't know if they'll be useful, or not, so...Yeah, I hope you'll find at least some of that helpful!

Well, guess what ? I'm an atheist ! Surprised ?

Yeah, I'm an atheist of the false God forced for centuries by the Inquisition from the Vatican ! 

I mean, who would want such a dreadful and awful Bogeyman God who doesn't care to the slightest about human sufferings and only want to send everyone but the saints to hell ?

I hate to death that awful Bogeyman God ! And if not for the Scriptures I studied on my own in a totally unbiased way,

I would have never discovered the true God, and His true Message ! The false God is dead !

I...hope you're being sarcastic! If not, then I'd love to talk to you in my "Ask a Catholic" thread!

xxx

2 people like this

Yeah, I'm an atheist of the false God forced for centuries by the Inquisition from the Vatican !

I mean, who would want such a dreadful and awful Bogeyman God who doesn't care to the slightest about human sufferings and only want to send everyone but the saints to hell ?

I hate to death that awful Bogeyman God ! And if not for the Scriptures I studied on my own in a totally unbiased way,

I would have never discovered the true God, and His true Message ! The false God is dead !

I...hope you're being sarcastic! If not, then I'd love to talk to you in my "Ask a Catholic" thread!

xxx

Oh dear.... I sense a storm is coming.
4 people like this

Wow, Im a catholic and I know my history well. I think the bogey man here is this supposed history being forced here out of context. If you knew your history you would know that it is the catholic church that gave the world the bible, the doctrine of the trinity and protected Christianity from the countless heresies that hit the church like the docetists, arianism, montanism and many others. If they didnt protect against these heresies all Christians would have been practicing gnosticism or something similar.

If you studied the scriptures in your own biased way my friend please tell me why your interpretation of scripture isnt the same as the personal interpretation that other Christians came to by reading the bible on their own.

Is this what the early Church of the 1st , 2nd and 3rd centuries taught? Personal interpretation of scripture?

Well lets see.what the early Christians said about this starting with the students of the apostoles?

Ignatius of antioch was a student of John the apostle. Let us see what John passed down to ignatius of antioch shall we?

Chapter 9. Honour the bishop

Moreover, it is in accordance with reason that we should return to soberness [of conduct], and, while yet we have opportunity, exercise repentance towards God. It is well to reverence both God and the bishop. He who honours the bishop has been honoured by God; he who does anything without the knowledge of the bishop, does [in reality] serve the devil. Let all things, then, abound to you through grace, for you are worthy. You have refreshed me in all things, and Jesus Christ [shall refresh] you. You have loved me when absent as well as when present. May God recompense you, for whose sake, while you endure all things, you shall attain unto Him.

He didnt say do your own thing. He specifically said follow the bishop. This was in 110 ad. Ignatius of antioch was specifically trained by John the apostle and ordained as the third bishop of antioch by the apostles. He was the successor that was picked by the apostles to help lead the early Church for when the apostles passed on.

The docetist who believed that Jesus didnt have a  real physical body read the same scriptures that the apostles read and taught but they came to a completely different conclusion didnt they, and they were quickly denounced as heretics against what the apostles taught to their students who were the apostolic fathers. The docetists read the same scriptures that you did and they read them with their own interpretation of who and what Jesus was. Scripture early early on was never meant to be interpreted personally.

Jesus gave the power to authoritatively interprete doctrine and dogma to peter and the apostles, and if you read your early Christian history you would see a uniformity in what the church believed. You wont see one church believing one thing and another church believing another thing like your doing right now. Reading the bible without understanding the first 1500 years of Christian history and the first 1000 years of bible history will only cause chaos.

There are people even today that read the bible and cant see the concept of the trinity being there. Who established and defined the doctrine of teh trinity which you now believe today? Thats right, it was the catholic church in 367 ad. When you pick up your new testament and read from it which church had the authority given to it by Christ to determine which gospels bel;onged in the new testament and which didnt? It was the catholic church in 4 counsels between 380ad and 422ad. Everytime you pick up the new testament and read from it your reading a catholic book.

Now Roy, I respect your Christian faith, but I as a Christian Catholic know my bible history well as well as my Christian History..

When Jesus Gave the power to bind and loose to Peter it meant something very important. This was the authority to decide on Church matters including doctrine and dogma

Please read the writings of teh early Christian Church and you will know what the earliest Christians, including the students of the apostles (of which I gave you one allready) were taught by the apostles to believe.

Now I respect your faith, but your ignorance and lack of respect for mine tell me that you just bash things without any knowledge of what your bashing.

I am also a Christin Inclusivist which means that I dont believe that only Christians can make it to heaven, and you read the writings of the early Christian church fathers you will see that almost all of them were inclusivists also.

For the next time please research and read before bashing someones beliefs

It will save you in talking about things you have absolutely no idea about .

4 people like this

Wow, Im a catholic and I know my history well. I think the bogey man here is this supposed history being forced here out of context. If you knew your history you would know that it is the catholic church that gave the world the bible, the doctrine of the trinity and protected Christianity from the countless heresies that hit the church like the docetists, arianism, montanism and many others. If they didnt protect against these heresies all Christians would have been practicing gnosticism or something similar.

If you studied the scriptures in your own biased way my friend please tell me why your interpretation of scripture isnt the same as the personal interpretation that other Christians came to by reading the bible on their own.

Is this what the early Church of the 1st , 2nd and 3rd centuries taught? Personal interpretation of scripture?

Well lets see.what the early Christians said about this starting with the students of the apostoles?

Ignatius of antioch was a student of John the apostle. Let us see what John passed down to ignatius of antioch shall we?

Chapter 9. Honour the bishop

Moreover, it is in accordance with reason that we should return to soberness [of conduct], and, while yet we have opportunity, exercise repentance towards God. It is well to reverence both God and the bishop. He who honours the bishop has been honoured by God; he who does anything without the knowledge of the bishop, does [in reality] serve the devil. Let all things, then, abound to you through grace, for you are worthy. You have refreshed me in all things, and Jesus Christ [shall refresh] you. You have loved me when absent as well as when present. May God recompense you, for whose sake, while you endure all things, you shall attain unto Him.

He didnt say do your own thing. He specifically said follow the bishop. This was in 110 ad. Ignatius of antioch was specifically trained by John the apostle and ordained as the third bishop of antioch by the apostles. He was the successor that was picked by the apostles to help lead the early Church for when the apostles passed on.

The docetist who believed that Jesus didnt have a  real physical body read the same scriptures that the apostles read and taught but they came to a completely different conclusion didnt they, and they were quickly denounced as heretics against what the apostles taught to their students who were the apostolic fathers. The docetists read the same scriptures that you did and they read them with their own interpretation of who and what Jesus was. Scripture early early on was never meant to be interpreted personally.

Jesus gave the power to authoritatively interprete doctrine and dogma to peter and the apostles, and if you read your early Christian history you would see a uniformity in what the church believed. You wont see one church believing one thing and another church believing another thing like your doing right now. Reading the bible without understanding the first 1500 years of Christian history and the first 1000 years of bible history will only cause chaos.

There are people even today that read the bible and cant see the concept of the trinity being there. Who established and defined the doctrine of teh trinity which you now believe today? Thats right, it was the catholic church in 367 ad. When you pick up your new testament and read from it which church had the authority given to it by Christ to determine which gospels bel;onged in the new testament and which didnt? It was the catholic church in 4 counsels between 380ad and 422ad. Everytime you pick up the new testament and read from it your reading a catholic book.

Now Roy, I respect your Christian faith, but I as a Christian Catholic know my bible history well as well as my Christian History..

When Jesus Gave the power to bind and loose to Peter it meant something very important. This was the authority to decide on Church matters including doctrine and dogma

Please read the writings of teh early Christian Church and you will know what the earliest Christians, including the students of the apostles (of which I gave you one allready) were taught by the apostles to believe.

Now I respect your faith, but your ignorance and lack of respect for mine tell me that you just bash things without any knowledge of what your bashing.

I am also a Christin Inclusivist which means that I dont believe that only Christians can make it to heaven, and you read the writings of the early Christian church fathers you will see that almost all of them were inclusivists also.

For the next time please research and read before bashing someones beliefs

It will save you in talking about things you have absolutely no idea about .

I'm a Protestant. But I applaud and respect your response. Well said.

2 people like this

I'm a Protestant. But I applaud and respect your response. Well said.

Ty my friend and my fellow Christian. I've spent a few years going to Protestant bible studies and they were a very positive experience for the most part. What I respect most about Protestant is their incredible love of The Lord which I tend to carry with me when ever I am discussing Christ even with other catholics . We Catholics can learn a lot from them :)

God bless

4 people like this

I am a peace loving Hindu but do respect all religions.

I do support interracial relationships because I believe that if both are you are in love that is all that matters. One of my relatives even married a nice English lawyer. She had a such a lavish wedding in the Sussex countryside. 

2 people like this

What do you mean with the 'real' and 'false' God? 

What do you mean with the 'real' and 'false' God? 

I think he's banned temporarily or indefinitely or something like that @lexxy

Yeah, I think he was trying to say that Catholics aren't Christians, and therefore don't worship the "real" God. But he never did get back to me, so I guess we'll never know...

xxx

Lol I guess we won't then...and Catholics can very well be Christains like baptists and many other denominations

1 person likes this