Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Server is upgraded!

21 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Sorry for all the errors over the last few days. I wish one of you was a tech person so I could explain just how retarded the cause of that error is. I want to kill my host.

Anyhow. I am finally making the leap to our very own server. This will cost about 5x more per month, but will make the site much more reliable and hopefully faster too. Plus it will give me the flexibility I need to build some slick site features in the future.

Please bear with me over the next few days as I get everything transferred over.

Hi Mike!

Really glad to hear that! Today, I could barely even log in.

It was literally: google, homepage, forums, clicked on "log in", and suddenly SERVER ERROR! And then you click Back, and it's another SERVER ERROR! And then Back again, and SERVER ERROR! And then Back to Homepage but it's just another SERVER ERROR!

Took me at least 3 attempts to log in, and even then, I would enter my details and click log in, and it'd be another SERVER ERROR! But, logged in eventually...as you can see...

Hope everything's better soon...it's a bit like the site's ill...poor thing

xxx

Thanks mike!! Really appreciate it.....its been really weird to me lately and its frustrating :/

Hope everything's better soon...it's a bit like the site's ill...poor thing

Haha that's exactly how I feel about it! I've actually thought "My poor baby!" on several occasions during this error-fest.

So I've been nursing it back to health all weekend with duct tape and new hardware. I think she's almost better!

UPDATE: We're back! All done with the transfer. Enjoy the stronger, faster, better WaitingTillMarriage.org from here on out. B)

UPDATE: We're back! All done with the transfer. Enjoy the stronger, faster, better WaitingTillMarriage.org from here on out. B)

whoot woo yay!

Hey, Mike?

I started getting those internal server errors again today...a lot of them, in fact...

xxx

I started getting those internal server errors again today...a lot of them, in fact..

Same...I just got 2 or 3 in about 5 minutes.

Damnit. Sorry about this, guys. I'm really disappointed with my web hosting company (boo HostGator).

Technically, this should not be happening. It was an issue of process limits and we're on our own server now, not on some little shared account, which means there ARE NO process limits...according to the Sales guy that sold me on upgrading.

Hopefully it's just a setting that I haven't configured yet on our brand-new server.

Otherwise, I may have to transfer to an EVEN BETTER (even more expensive) server at a different web host.

UPDATE: It WAS just a setting that I needed to switch on. We were bumping the memory limit, but we had a really low limit. Now we have 100MB of memory instead of 15MB. Let me know if you see those errors again, because technically there's still more memory left on the server that I can allocate (which I'll be trying to figure out how to do over the next few days...I'm a novice server admin at best).

UPDATE: It WAS just a setting that I needed to switch on. We were bumping the memory limit, but we had a really low limit. Now we have 100MB of memory instead of 15MB. Let me know if you see those errors again, because technically there's still more memory left on the server that I can allocate (which I'll be trying to figure out how to do over the next few days...I'm a novice server admin at best).

Thanks for making this site to begin with.

Any way ads may offset the cost?

You shouldn't be paying to provide others a service. Unless you're just getting started. What I'm saying is, isn't it possible to host this for free? I think there is free hosting for up to 2gb even.

Thanks for making this site to begin with.

You're very welcome! :blush:

Any way ads may offset the cost?

I think more about ads every day. I keep seeing people make decent ad money on sites with half our traffic, so I'm definitely not ruling it out. It would be nice to be able to offset server costs and such, but I'm kind of a purist. I care a lot about not cluttering the experience with a bunch of banners. Daniel Kern, founder of Acne.org, is kind of my hero in this: He's got an amazing site that is the end-all for his topic, he makes enough money off it to work on it full time and pay a small staff (which I would KILL to do with this site), and there's not a single ad on the site.

I've got a couple ideas for making this site pay for itself without ruining the user experience, but they're going to take me the first half of this year to develop. Ultimately I may just run ads.

You shouldn't be paying to provide others a service. Unless you're just getting started.

Haha thanks. I appreciate the thought there, but I really don't mind. We are just getting started in many ways, so hopefully I'll eventually figure out how to make this site return a little green.

Also, I'm a waiter too. I'm in this journey/battle with you. All the things people get from this site: encouragement, validation, new friends, advice on problems most people can't relate to, the possibility of much more as our membership grows...I get those things out of it too, so I want to see it grow for the same reasons that most of you do.

Plus, speaking as an idealistic creative type, nothing is more worth the money to me than improving something I've created and put out into the world.

isn't it possible to host this for free? I think there is free hosting for up to 2gb even.

Sorry, when I said "memory" I meant "RAM" not hard drive space. We actually have tons of resources, I just hadn't allocated them all properly yet (I just moved us to our own server a few weeks ago, and didn't realize I needed to do that).

There may be free hosting deals, but those packages are usually pretty restrictive in other ways (I work in the web hosting/web software field). I'm accustomed to certain flexibilities when it comes to server environments, so it's worth it to me to pay a little extra for a great environment, recent Internal Server Errors not withstanding (hopefully we won't see those for a while).

But I like that you're thinking of creative solutions!

I think more about ads every day. I keep seeing people make decent ad money on sites with half our traffic, so I'm definitely not ruling it out. It would be nice to be able to offset server costs and such, but I'm kind of purist. I care a lot about not cluttering the experience with a bunch of banners. Daniel Kern, founder of Acne.org, is kind of my hero in this: He's got an amazing site that is the end-all for his topic, he makes enough money off it to work on it full time and pay a small staff (which I would KILL to do with this site), and there's not a single ad on the site.

Hah, strange. For some reason I had acne.org in the back of my mind when visting this site. Must be the layout.

Haha thanks. I appreciate the thought there, but I really don't mind. We are just getting started in many ways, so hopefully I'll eventually figure out how to make this site return a little green.

I didn't mean charge people. I meant somehow generating something to either offset costs or generate revenue. Unless you consider this charitable. :P

Sorry, when I said "memory" I meant "RAM" not hard drive space. We actually have tons of resources, I just hadn't allocated them all properly yet (I just moved us to our own server a few weeks ago, and didn't realize I needed to do that).

There may be free hosting deals, but those packages are usually pretty restrictive in other ways (I work in the web hosting/web software field). I'm accustomed to certain flexibilities when it comes to server environments, so it's worth it to me to pay a little extra for a great environment, recent Internal Server Errors not withstanding (hopefully we won't see those for a while).

But I like that you're thinking of creative solutions!

100mb of RAM for a server? No offense, but what are you running this off -- an outdated smartphone? Or maybe that's a lot for a web server. I don't know. I wouldn't. I wasn't interested in that branch of IT.

I did host WoW and gaming servers (Mu Online, etc) when I was like 14, though.

Could have been pulling five digits a month then. Chose not to. Blizzard rapes everything that moves.

And you're also not ruling out more being allocated to emoticons, avatar size, etc? :D

I didn't mean charge people. I meant somehow generating something to either offset costs or generate revenue.

Oh yeah me too. I meant more a different form of advertising money. I'd never charge you or anything like that. :lol:

100mb of RAM for a server? No offense, but what are you running this off -- an outdated smartphone?

That's just for this site. Our "server" has about 768MB of RAM, which isn't a lot for a whole server full of sites, but is a lot for two sites. It's also just a VPS, not a full dedicated server.

That's just for this site. Our "server" has about 768MB of RAM, which isn't a lot of a whole server full of sites, but is a lot for two sites. It's also just a VPS, not a full dedicated server.

What's the other site?

Also, when can I get my .gif avatar? I found this neat one but it's way over 50kb in size :D :

:excl: EDIT -- Hah, I got it to work! :excl:

MIKE EDIT: Yeah, sorry. Had to remove that. Come on, man. Did you really think that was going to fly?

The site had been weird for me for the past fee hours, but just staryed working again...yay!!!

Hey mike I was just writing to ask, I wanted to upload some photos to a thread, but It said that my maximum global data is only 500k and right now I have uploaded 468 or something like that. So all the files i want to upload are to big. Is there any way I can get my data increased? has anyone else had this issue?

Hey Seeflo. Will increase your limit when I get home. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0