Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Princess Victoria

so i have this problem.......

12 posts in this topic

i met this sweet guy at work and we started hanging out. after i moved away he confessed that he has feelings for me but i told him that i just want to remain friends. now he wont talk to me anymore. i give myself credit for being honest but he does not have to completely friend dump me for that. right? i really hope this does not happen to me again in the future. 

1 person likes this

Give him time. If he had developed feelings for you he may just need some time to cool off. It's easier for some people to take a break and get thier feelings in check before maintaining thier friendship... in the meantime kuddos to you for your honesty and for not stringing him along! You made the right choice regardless.

While I understand your annoyance, this is a common problem and I even think his reaction is justified. The problem is that men and women can't be "just friends" if attraction is involved. It makes interaction between you more awkward, and he would be pulling at his heartstrings for something that won't materialize. I think he realizes that being just friends won't get him any closer to what he wants.

You did do the right thing by being honest, and I would like to think that your friendship could continue, but in most cases it doesn't work that way.

1 person likes this

He has every right to discontinue the friendship and what he did isn't wrong in any way. The only thing I would say, though, is that if you ask him why he stopped talking with you, to me, he does owe you an explanation. Other than that, though, his dissolving of the friendship is entirely legitimate. 

You did the right thing by being honest with him, but of course, that should be expected and not an exception to the rule.

6 people like this

I agree with IAG. Imagine being forced to remain just friends with someone you're really attracted to.

Hint: its not fun.

3 people like this

i personally think that i did not do anything wrong. 

Well, you didn't really do anything wrong, per se; attraction can't be forced. But you can't really blame him for ending your friendship.

2 people like this

If he just straight dropped the relationship altogether without a proper explanation, I'd say he isn't being very mature. Also, you didn't do anything wrong based on what you've told us.

1 person likes this

Idk princess I hardly ever pursue a relationship with a girl unless I'm pursuing exactly that. I think its the natural way of life honestly.

1 person likes this

It's not the most mature reaction from him to just throw away a friendship, but it is probably very hard for him to remain friends with someone he has feelings for and knows nothing will ever happen between you two. He may also be pretty embarrassed that he told you how he feels and now knows you don't share those feelings.

2 people like this