Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest markb4

What does "dark" mean?

14 posts in this topic

Hey girls,

A question that's always bothered me. What does "dark" mean in the phrase, "tall, dark, and handsome"?

Haha, its like tan/olive skin....think Mario lopez...he's an example of tall, dark, and handsome

I always took it to mean "Italian, and possibly a little dangerous" :lol:

Haha I've never cared much for that quote....probly because I'm not tall...not dark...and handsome well not sure about that one but even if I were to give myself the benefit of the doubt its still only 1 out of 3 haha! :lol:

Bahaha its like one of those thongsike the stereotype that a girl woth blonde hair, blue eyes and big boobs is the most attractive girl.

From coming across the phrase in books, etc. I've come to understand it to mean dark hair, but not necessarily dark eyes and/or skin

Hmm. That would make a lot of sense. According to the Google search I just did 5 seconds ago, only 2% of men have blond hair, and another 2% have red hair. That means 96% of men have dark-ish hair.

That could mean that "dark" is just a throwaway that basically means "accentuated" or "pronounced." Also another factor contributing to "handsome," like "tall."

Or maybe I'm over-analyzing this. :unsure:

According to the Google search I just did 5 seconds ago, only 2% of men have blond hair

No kidding?? I must be a rare breed then!! :lol:

And Sally yes it's exactly like that!

Haha I actually always thought when someone said that they were refering to a black guy, Like a tall dark and handsome guy? Anyone else agree?

Ooo, tall dark and handsome!! :wub:

Kidding :lol:

I always took 'dark' to be more of an aura than anything else. To me, it was effective as a description in literature because the audience is able to interpret it in a way that appeals to their own palette. Used in this sense, I guess I always thought it was more of how a man carries himself-- more about definition, mystery, and the allure of the unknown. Dark hair always seemed like a correlating quality, but I guess I never associated it specifically with tanned/darker skin. I will say that I have heard it used to describe Italians pretty frequently!

1 person likes this

I dunno what it means but it doesn't ring true for me cus I'm into Caucasian men & some hispanic♥

Ooo, tall dark and handsome!! :wub:

Kidding :lol:

I always took 'dark' to be more of an aura than anything else. To me, it was effective as a description in literature because the audience is able to interpret it in a way that appeals to their own palette. Used in this sense, I guess I always thought it was more of how a man carries himself-- more about definition, mystery, and the allure of the unknown. Dark hair always seemed like a correlating quality, but I guess I never associated it specifically with tanned/darker skin. I will say that I have heard it used to describe Italians pretty frequently!

This

Dark has nothing to do with skin colour. It has to do with the aura of the guy - the presence. For example: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hb8HY46S8l8/TWcuOC_pZDI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/nPJgpMmFAA8/s1600/Damon-Salvatore-.jpg

That is a TV character, Damon. See the devilish glint in his eyes, and his dark curly hair? He gives off the "dark" feeling. Something that appears slightly aloof and distant.

Now look at this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UB2-sbYZQVk/S_Nyvd3sySI/AAAAAAAAB58/owbc4zjNJpQ/s1600/Dan+Humphrey+Penn+Badgley.jpg

This is Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl. He has dark hair, but he doesn't look "dark." he looks light, open, innocent, etc.

Now "dark" doesn't mean dangerous, abusive, cruel, temperamental, etc. It is just the appearance. Not what's inside.