amberrandle

Introvert or Extrovert?

22 posts in this topic

Are you an introvert or extrovert?

I think I'm an introvert, but I'm slightly both. It's because I don't enjoy group discussions, but I'm a huge risk taker. I would also rather be in a group than alone. I feel depressed when I'm alone. I'm also comfortable in large crowds, large classrooms, and sometimes large groups because people tend to be less judgmental. It just feel weird when people keep telling you that you're shy.

I used to be shy, but it wasn't really the true definition of shy. Actually shy people aren't usually scared of people. That's social anxiety. It's usually just disinterest in certain things. A lot of the time I was just not interested in discussing certain things, so I had to gain interest in the topic in order to stop being "shy".

I used to wish I was an extrovert, but, I noticed that some extroverts can be really aggressive and conceited. I always find myself comforting someone because of the damage that an aggressive extrovert caused. But, yet I would still be considered unfriendly, mean, and shy by many

extroverts.

Which trait defines you? And what do you think about the other trait?

What type of misjudgments do you face?

It depends on the situation. On the norm I'm introvert minding my own business and moseying about but when I'm around those I'm comfortable with my extrovert side comes out. Also if I'm around those who are more introverted than I, I'll take up the role of extrovert to break the ice or help others especially in customer service. I like to have both honestly.   

Definitions I browsed...Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

Basically, an extrovert is a person who is energized by being around other people. 

1 person likes this

Mostly just introverted, but I'm not particularly shy either. I think people mistake introversion for shyness when all it really means is that you thrive best when you're alone. You can be loud and outgoing and still be an introvert.

5 people like this

I'm pretty Introvert, but I am NOT antisocial. If someone came up to me and started a conversation I would be able to talk and be interesting. I'm just really shy when it comes to approaching people I don't know, which is what is going to make dating hard :( but if I'm around people I know and am comfortable with, I'm extrovert.

1 person likes this

I am an introvert but only barely more than I am an extrovert. I do enjoy my time alone where I feel that I can be my complete, total self. I am also shy and suffer from social anxiety but that has little to do with my introversion. As you've said, the two things are separate. I actually do feel energized after hanging out with a group of people. I may experience anxiety when the people are unfamiliar to me but I also somehow thrive in that environment at the same time. I am very complex when it comes to this because I somehow love and hate being with lots of people. lol 

One of the worst things I get from people who don't bother to get to know me but see me being quiet is that they think that I am stuck up or just boring. Both of these are far from the truth but my social anxiety prevents me from being me in such situations. :/ 

Anyway, I am working on my anxiety and have already made great progress. It has prevented me from finding guys and I am determined to no longer let that be a factor that prevents me from living the best life possible. 

4 people like this

I'm very introverted but I've developed great social skills throughout the years. I become more introverted the older I get though. I have mild social anxiety but it's more things like being overly self conscious walking alone in busy public places. I don't have any problems talking to strangers/new people, in fact I'm probably better at that then the average person. I get performance anxiety though when singing solo and things like that. I'm also a highly sensitive person like loud sounds are unbearable though I'm developing a tolerance to them, bright lights are unbearable, I'm very emotionally sensitive too and so on.

1 person likes this

I have no clue. I use to say that I'm 60% introvert and 40% extrovert. I like being by myself sometimes but I can only take so much before I begin to feel sad. Same for being around other people, if I'm around them too long I start to get tired and moody. I'm a quiet person, my mother said I've always been that way. I tend to not talk alot and when I do, it's usually something kind of stupid (or atleast it is to me lol). I just worry alot which stops me from talking and also I think alot so I'm like in my own "little world", don't know if that makes me an introvert. But, then I can also be outgoing, depending on the people around me. I can also be loud and crazy/annoying (depending on how you look at it lol).

1 person likes this

I see a trend developing here...

I'm more of an introvert. I'm quiet content with spending time in my own little world...

Saying that, I agree with what Vince says. I can be very loud and outgoing sometimes, although only when I'm with people I know, otherwise I'm pretty shy. And I'll do other things that are outgoing, like singing on stage.

xxx

1 person likes this

Saying that, I agree with what Vince says. I can be very loud and outgoing sometimes,

Huge understatement. JK, love you Jegs :D Actually I'm definitely the much louder one between us both. I'm really quite talkative most of the time, but it does drain me. For extroverts, social interaction has the opposite effect.

2 people like this

I'm also an introvert.  I also like to be in my own little world.  However, like Jegs, I can be outgoing and loud when I'm with a group of people I know. 

One of the worst things I get from people who don't bother to get to know me but see me being quiet is that they think that I am stuck up or just boring. Both of these are far from the truth but my social anxiety prevents me from being me in such situations. :/ 

I can relate with you on this. I also made gains with my anxiety too. 

1 person likes this

I have no clue. I use to say that I'm 60% introvert and 40% extrovert. I like being by myself sometimes but I can only take so much before I begin to feel sad. Same for being around other people, if I'm around them too long I start to get tired and moody. I'm a quiet person, my mother said I've always been that way. I tend to not talk alot and when I do, it's usually something kind of stupid (or atleast it is to me lol). I just worry alot which stops me from talking and also I think alot so I'm like in my own "little world", don't know if that makes me an introvert. But, then I can also be outgoing, depending on the people around me. I can also be loud and crazy/annoying (depending on how you look at it lol).

I think you're an introvert. I can be loud and crazy too. I think the introvert full description is pretty hard to fit in. Introverts tend to think more deeply, which is why labeling can be pretty hard for us. Everyone needs energy from both alone time and social time. It's just that we are more quickly satisfied. I can have 3 positive friendly conversations for a day and be satisfied, but an extrovert would need at least 10 everyday. Sometimes I wouldn't even need any at all.

1 person likes this

I know Im an introvert because my best friend is a perfect example of an extrovert. When I'm around people I know, my funny personality comes out and I am loud (not that loud).  When Im around new people I'm very quiet and I hate small talk (something that extroverts do alot) I'm more of a deep conversationalist or atleast all for good funny chatter.  Im actually not shy at all I have a pretty wild fun personality...the only time and Im mean only time Im shy is when it comes to a guy that I like. I get all giggly and quiet and I totally hate that because it messes up my game.

I think some extroverts are cool but if they have an overpowering personality then I become quiet and reserved alot of them are outspoken and rude though like "hey look at me Im talking now!!" ugh.  I remember back in highschool this new kid in our history class was always making some type of obnoxious comment to anyone that would listen  <_< #Strike1

It was sooooo annoying but no one else seemed to be bothered by him, then he was on my same school bus *great* <_<  he was so loud and obnoxious telling his friends loudly and very explicit about his sexual experiences. I mean every detail. #strike 2

THEN towards the end of the semester in our history class I was having a conversation amongst friends and I hear him in the background calling role to see who would look up, while making fun of their names, snickering etc.  He got to my name and I ignored him then he called it out again and I still ignored him next I hear him say: "I know this B__ hears me" #Strike 3 

....So I basically umm kinda like uhh went off on him calling him out in front of everyone about his business calling him a explicit explicit  :blush:  umm yea but he was quiet for the rest of the semester.

I got misjudged alot people assumed just because Im quiet and have a sweet innocent face that I was just going to sit back and let them pick on me ...they quickly learned that was not the case. I guess Im a bit of a firecracker  :blush:  but I still get judged today people say "oh you're sooo quiet, you should open up more" and they just assume Im some little quiet girl in the corner, Oh well.

3 people like this

I got misjudged alot people assumed just because Im quiet and have a sweet innocent face that I was just going to sit back and let them pick on me ...they quickly learned that was not the case. I guess Im a bit of a firecracker  :blush:  but I still get judged today people say "oh you're sooo quiet, you should open up more" and they just assume Im some little quiet girl in the corner, Oh well.

I know right. People have assumed the same about me. There have been times where I have went off and had to put someone in their place and people would say "What you said that?! Are you Okay? Calm down!!" as if I was having some kind of mental break down and my speaking up for myself was out of character. As they say never judge a book by its cover. The brief article I read on introverts pointed out that they internalize things more and think before they speak, so just because a person goes for awhile without speaking up doesn't mean they have nothing to say...they are just building a case. 

Definite introvert here! But sometimes when I get to know a person really well I can blabber their ears off ;) So maybe 80% introvert and 20% extrovert. In school I use to be the quietest kid in class. Though since then I became more extroverted.

2 people like this

Definite introvert here! But sometimes when I get to know a person really well I can blabber their ears off ;) So maybe 80% introvert and 20% extrovert. In school I use to be the quietest kid in class. Though since then I became more extroverted.

I'm the same way lol, except I'm still just a bit quiet sometimes. Usually if I'm somewhere I haven't been or it's my first time, I'm quiet, but once I get to know someone or get comfortable somewhere I'll be more talkative.

2 people like this

I also prefer interacting with small groups (I think that's the social anxiety); I'd rather have a one-on-one conversation than talking to a group. It's like tutoring/teaching it's something I've always liked to do but I know I could never handle a class of 30 pupils (the average class size in England) whatever age they are. But in the new career I'm going into it's a form of teaching but one on one which suits me perfectly  ^_^

2 people like this

I'm more of an introvert than extrovert.  Like Vince the man and Francois.  Im not a shy person, but I have a tendency to give away a shy smile and blush maybe.  But I'm actually a very serious person.  

People have this nagging to tell me.. "man.. you're very scarce these days" .. "why are you so quiet" etc etc... Well.. I don't mingle much because of people you call "friends"  and they have this thing telling me "I'm a snob" or "stuck up".

I also have this tendency to talk much when I'm comfortable between people .. just like Francois :)

In highschool.. I was this shy / quiet guy ... but everything changed .. 

3 people like this

well.. I think I'm the first here... but I'm absolutely, undeniably an extrovert.  Although, I do like some alone time and every once in a while I can be shy.

I am most definately an ambivert!! Im an in between introvert and extrovert and as I get older I'm working on being even more social and making lots of friends. It's not that I prefer being alone, it's just that I'm shy around new people or when I'm not good friends unless I've known the person for a while or don't care of their opinion of me. Im glad I'm both an introvert and extrovert because I can be alone or with people(rather with friends) and I'm a good listener and loyal to friends and care about how people feel in general. Id have so much more friends if I wasn't shy with certain people or if I could easily make conversation with ppl but like I said, I'm gettin better and better. :)

1 person likes this

I studied extroversion and introversion in a psychology class, so I will share a few facts of what I learned.  Extroversion/Introversion is more of a spectrum.  You could be towards one side or the other or in the middle (in your natural state).  Say a very introverted person becomes a teacher, they can actually move their position on the spectrum somewhat towards the extroversion side.  If they choose an introverted job, they may even find themselves in isolation of others as a lifestyle. (in one scenario, for example)

2 people like this