amberrandle

Dating Abroad

34 posts in this topic

First I might say that it's not that common to date in Sweden, we just hang out in big groups and eventually couples are "made". I've never been on a real date (would love to be asked out sometime by someone who actually know what a date is and not these swedish guys who only wants to hang out as friends: no romance, pick up the girl at eight, bringing flowers, watch a movie, go out for dinner, whatever a date involves - I only know dating from the american movies...

Well, it seems a lot of guys in America are the same. I still haven't been taken on a proper date. The ones Ive been on werent called a date and it seemed the guys were doing that on purpose so if they weren't "feeling it"they couls say "we were just hanging out" :P

Well, it seems a lot of guys in America are the same. I still haven't been taken on a proper date. The ones Ive been on werent called a date and it seemed the guys were doing that on purpose so if they weren't "feeling it"they couls say "we were just hanging out" :P

Wow, that sort of destroyed my image of dating in America... ;)

Haha I hate when you just hang out with a friend and they caught you off guard like "Hey, no I didn't wanted to hang out it was just a lie to get you over here to date me and now you are trapped!"

I would love, for once, that (regardless of it is a typical date as seen in the movies) we both know it is a date and that we both want to take that step rather than having your friend who you never had the chance of thinking of in a different way sort of make you into a fakedate-hostage...

Of course I'd date a broad. You think I'd date a guy? Oh you mean date someone from a foreign country? Um...awkward..... :P

1 person likes this

I mean, my plan was to fall in love with a French man, get married, and gain my French citizenship. When that dream didn't happen, I settled for an American. ;)

I'm still trying to get him to move to France...

I can consider it (to be honest, I'm really attracted to East Asian guys lol).

I plan to become a physician though, so if the foreign country's official language is something other than English, then it would be pretty difficult for me to practice there because I would need some time to become fluent. Yet, I would still be willing to give it a try.

First I might say that it's not that common to date in Sweden, we just hang out in big groups and eventually couples are "made". I've never been on a real date (would love to be asked out sometime by someone who actually know what a date is and not these swedish guys who only wants to hang out as friends: no romance, pick up the girl at eight, bringing flowers, watch a movie, go out for dinner, whatever a date involves - I only know dating from the american movies...)

So if someone abroad would ask me out on a real date I would totally say yes! But then, depending on how serious it gets the question of where we will live will eventually come up and I'm quite determined to settle down in my own country, but perhaps it also depends on who the person is, where the person comes from and at what stage in life we are... but a date - totally!

I have heard from various people that dating in Europe isn't really a thing, which confuses the heck out of me! In my experience of dating in the American South, people usually hang out in friend groups, two people will develop mutual interest, and then go on a series of dates before becoming an official exclusive couple. To me, a date is just any activity two people who are romantically interested in each other do together! There's the stereotypical "date" that definitely does happen sometimes, in which the guy asks out the girl, takes her to dinner, pays, etc, and gives flowers if it's a special occasion, but it's not what a date has to be.

I have heard from various people that dating in Europe isn't really a thing, which confuses the heck out of me! In my experience of dating in the American South, people usually hang out in friend groups, two people will develop mutual interest, and then go on a series of dates before becoming an official exclusive couple. To me, a date is just any activity two people who are romantically interested in each other do together! There's the stereotypical "date" that definitely does happen sometimes, in which the guy asks out the girl, takes her to dinner, pays, etc, and gives flowers if it's a special occasion, but it's not what a date has to be.

Yes I know that there are many different ways of doing a date, but that's just the thing... it's still a date. It's just something that people rarely do where I live. Most people here just go from hanging in a big group to being together, with nothing between (don't ask me how, it's actually quite weird... no wonder sweden has one of the highest rates of singles in the world!) so my point would still be that I would love to go on a "real" date - that is that it not has to be stereotypical but just a plains simple date where both know it is something more than just hanging with a group of friends as you almost always do, but with that said I wouldn't mind doing it the stereotypical way either :)

1 person likes this

Online dating someone from another country, I am still on the fence about. I think they would have to be someone really special.

Now someone IRL from another country could happen. I live next to a military base and there are people from all over the world here.