Guest Princess Victoria

do you believe in love at first sight?

17 posts in this topic

you know in the twilight series how werewolves have the ability to imprint? i wish we had those superpowers 

No, but seriously. I do not. I like to call that lust at first sight.

2 people like this

I'd have to agree, even if it's not quite lust, but just infatuation.

It's not Love, Love is such deep, complex, foundational emotion, and psychological sense that it just doesn't happen like in the movies.

would be nice though.

However wouldn't it detract from the awkward getting to know someone phase that is sorta enjoyable and awe-inspiring.

You the shy girl and guy who are attracted to one another, share common interests, and desires, have "weird" conversations, and just click you know.

At least I dig that.

5 people like this

I do not really believe that except when it comes to babies. Whenever I have one my love for them the first time I look at them will be extremely strong I already know that just thinking about it.

(also I think maybe when 'the one' comes God may hint at it so you feel a tingle but full on love immediately..?? Idk)

I believe in lust at first site and if the two people are compatible, the line between love and lust is indistinguishable.

3 people like this

No. I don't believe in love at first sight. We don't live in the movies or soap operas. Their [soap operas / movies] realities differ from the real world reality. You might love what you're seeing [body figure / looks], but you don't know the persons personality at all.

1 person likes this

Oh I love this question! One of my favorite eternal mysteries.

Many married people report that they "knew" right away when they first met their spouse. My dad said after he met my mom he went back to work and sat by himself in the back room (he was 17 and worked at a shoe store), just processing the event. I also have a friend who says he remembers when his future wife was walking up to him right as they met. He remembers thinking "Shut up. Here it comes. Just sit here and enjoy it."

Myself, I've had similar experiences a couple of times, where I've known from the first meeting that somebody was at least going to be a significant person in my life --- if not a great love.

So I think that the experience of love at first sight is real, but the origins and causes of the experience are debatable.

There's a spiritual case, that argues that love at first sight is your soul acting on some kind of foresight.

And there's also a psychological/scientific case. We are able to tell a lot about people very quickly from their face and body movements. Within the first 10 seconds of meeting somebody, you've already made decisions about their personality, intelligence, sexual orientation, and a bunch of other qualities.

It's possible that when you get the "love at first sight" feeling, it's actually your subconscious doing its normal "summarize this new person" calculation and computing that "this seems to be who we've been looking for, love-wise."

Of course, I've also seen people grow into loving another person, so although love at first sight is possible, I don't think it's a prerequisite.

10 people like this

If you can't believe in miracles then they are impossible. I choose to believe in love at first site so that hope of falling in love instantaneously is still within me. Love at first site would truly be a miracle and I hope whenever I meet my future Wife I fall in love right away. May Her beauty be so distinct from that of other women that I lose all composure in her presence. That I know she is the one God blessed me with. I can't buy her a new Lexus or beach side mansion, but if I could do one thing for Her it would be to provide her with my selfless love as long as I live.

Sorry I kinda get carried away when talking about love :)

2 people like this

I don't believe in love at first sight, at least in the way I choose to define love. Love can only come with time and shared experiences, good and bad, and at least some longevity/commitment/faithfulness.

However, I like how Mike put it, and I tend to agree with him, especially this part:

And there's also a psychological/scientific case. We are able to tell a lot about people very quickly from their face and body movements. Within the first 10 seconds of meeting somebody, you've already made decisions about their personality, intelligence, sexual orientation, and a bunch of other qualities.

It's possible that when you get the "love at first sight" feeling, it's actually your subconscious doing its normal "summarize this new person" calculation and computing that "this seems to be who we've been looking for, love-wise."

There have been probably half a dozen times in my 3+ years at college when I've seen a girl that stands out from the many attractive girls I see every day. There's just something about them, and I know that part of it is my subconscious making assumptions about them and thinking they might make a good match. They stick in my mind throughout the day and I feel nervous and queasy thinking about them. One of those cases is ongoing right now, with a girl I keep seeing on the campus shuttles (in a somewhat irregular pattern that I might attribute to fate if I believed in it). I'm trying to come up with a way to talk to her...

4 people like this

I did when I was little, but not anymore. That's lust at first sight. Some things may look good on the outside, but can be really terrible on the inside. It's kind of like with certain foods. A food can look extremely delicious, but it can still be gross.

No. Even attractiveness increases with over time.

A couple of girls I know are gorgeous but after 2nd meetings they become stunning.

1 person likes this

I don't necessarily believe its love at first sight.....I believe its a certain connection that you are experiencing when you meet that guy/girl. This connection can apply on strictly a friendship basis....Ever meet a person & you just clicked?? It was something in their characater that linked to yours....then from their you became life long friends? Well, when it comes to the spouse God has for you.....I believe it will be much the same way......only slightly different.....their will be something about them that will strike a deeper cord in you spirit.....and the more you come to know them....And listen to Gods leading, the more you will recognize the qualities you asked God for in a spouse....always keeping God at the center of the dating process.....Then will come that moment when you will honestly "know" that they are......"The One"......

1 person likes this

@Matt - I once saw a scientific study on the effectiveness of different pickup lines. The most successful, with both sexes, was "Hi."

4 people like this