Queen

Don't want to get married?

10 posts in this topic

On these WTM forums, I get the impression that most people here would like to get married (maybe even sooner than later).  I know a few men my age (28-30) who are single, but it is because they don't want to be married.  I know some middle aged women who are happily single as well. 

Why wouldn't someone want to be married?

They don't want to get married because they don't want to feel trapped, don't want to spend a life time committing, don't want to go though divorce. Not all who don't get married are afraid of commitment, some just don't want a life time commitment. I for one do not like the idea of life time commitment.

On these WTM forums, I get the impression that most people here would like to get married (maybe even sooner than later).  I know a few men my age (28-30) who are single, but it is because they don't want to be married.  I know some middle aged women who are happily single as well. 

Since we're all waiting until marriage to have sex on here, we all have one very obvious reason to want to. But, for people who aren't waiitng (the majority of people) they feel they can have sex just fine and dandy without marriage, so there goes a motivator right there. Another reason is some people view marriage as outdated or unnecessarry. In their opinion, they can be with someone and it doesn't make a difference one way or the other if they are officially married or not. Some people may want to avoid the financial risk of divorce, so they decide not to marry. Like Mstr Josh said, some people may just not want to commit. I think this is a feeling that will go away for a lot of people at some point in their lives, but some people probably just like being single, which, temporary or not, is fine. Even though I want to marry, I don't know that I would want to be married right now, even if it were feasible financially and with my educational goals. Now, I am only 21, but I think it is reasonable for someone to feel this way even if they're older.

2 people like this

I can think of one or two reasons:

1) A person might think he can serve people better if he's single than if he is married.

2)  She is not attracted to marriage. Maybe she thinks a big part about marriage is having children (and she does not want any), so she does not want to get married, or the thought of being with someone for a lifetime does not appeal to her. She might feel "tied down."

1 person likes this

Since we're all waiting until marriage to have sex on here, we all have one very obvious reason to want to. But, for people who aren't waiitng (the majority of people) they feel they can have sex just fine and dandy without marriage, so there goes a motivator right there. Another reason is some people view marriage as outdated or unnecessarry. In their opinion, they can be with someone and it doesn't make a difference one way or the other if they are officially married or not. Some people may want to avoid the financial risk of divorce, so they decide not to marry. Like Mstr Josh said, some people may just not want to commit. I think this is a feeling that will go away for a lot of people at some point in their lives, but some people probably just like being single, which, temporary or not, is fine. Even though I want to marry, I don't know that I would want to be married right now, even if it were feasible financially and with my educational goals. Now, I am only 21, but I think it is reasonable for someone to feel this way even if they're older.

And since most people are living together and having premarital sex, it just gives people even less of an incentive to get married. Many people in this situation claim to love each other and trust each other but they say don't need marriage to prove they love each other. If that is their reasoning,I really beg to differ. If they are afraid of the risk of divorce or think it's unnecessary, then I don't think they truly trust and love each other. It's like saying. "I love and trust you, but not enough to commit myself to you in every possible way." They would rather have an easy way out in case things don't work out. That just shows how little faith they actually have in their relationship. If you truly love each other, I don't see any reason not to get married because it is the most intimate relationship you can have on earth. Why not take the extra step to show you love each other by binding yourself legally, emotionally and spiritually with the other person? 

Marriage is not outdated. In fact, I think it's important more than ever given how casually our society treats love, sex and relationships.

2 people like this

Like slayerofdragon said some people just aren't attracted to the whole idea of marriage...

I would be totally fine in a life without marriage and I wouldn't regret it as much as I would not having kids...I would be happy as a single mum or even better, being  in a co-parenting kind of relationship.  The latter seems more realistic to me than the idea of  waiting for the 'one' .

Then there are some people who are just plain aromantic that just aren't interested, period in dating and relationships.

1 person likes this

I don't believe in having sex outside of marriage, and I'm perfectly fine with not getting married for a long time, if ever. To me, the work that's put into a relationship is way more trouble than any perceived benefit of getting to have sex. Some day the Lord may put a man in my life who is worth the effort  of marriage, but until then I'm not too fussed about it :) 

Some people like being alone and not bothered at all, marriage isnt for everyone If I was promiscuous I probably wouldnt get married either as I would really see no point.

I wouldn't ever say that I don't want to get married, but it WOULD be a big inconvenience to work around as far as my career goes. That would be my only hesitation.