Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayerofdragon

?Consummate the Marriage?

8 posts in this topic

Okay, this is a probably a dumb question, but what does it mean to "consumate a marriage", and why is it important?

I have this image of my wife and me on our wedding night, I turn to my wife and say, "So babe what do we do now?" Lol...yeah I'm kinda clueless.

1 person likes this

What are we waiting for? That's pretty much it.

1 person likes this

Stealing from Wikipedia:

"Consummation or consummation of a marriage, in many traditions and statutes of civil or religious law, is the first (or first officially credited) act of sexual intercourse between two people, either following their marriage to each other or after a prolonged sexual attraction. Its legal significance arises from theories of marriage as having the purpose of producing legally recognized descendants of the partners, or of providing sanction to their sexual acts together, or both, and amounts to treating a marriage ceremony as falling short of completing the creation of the state of being married. Thus in some Western traditions, a marriage is not considered a binding contract until and unless it has been consummated."

So to consummate the marriage, as far as I understand, means to make the marriage truly officially by having sex, thus becoming "one flesh." To some people, you are not really married until you have sex with each other.

Yeah, consummating the marriage is having sex for the first time in marriage. In some cultures it is a really big deal. I've read things that in some cultures that if a couple hasn't consummated their marriage, it can be grounds for divorce. Like said before in those cultures, a marriage is not a marriage until sex has happened. I think that for the most part in American culture, it is assumed that sex happens the first night of marriage. Plus, consummation is a big deal for the most part in America. Most couples have sex long before marriage, so why would consummation be a big deal?

I really am unsure if I really want sex on my wedding night! If your wedding day is that busy, I just want to sleep! I'm also worried about not really wanting sex and only doing it because it dictates that I should. Sex just doesn't appeal to me right now even if I wasn't waiting, but I feel like it must and I would be odd to focus on swimming and enjoying the warm weather on my honeymoon than sex which is what I feel like I'm supposed to be doing.

I just wish there wasn't so much pressure. It makes it sounds like a sexless marriage is the worse thing ever, even if both of the people are happy. 

I shall take the hilarious slightly naughty root, and say you put your penis in her! TA DA! :P

Edit sorry if that offends anyone****

Edit2: puns puns everywhere :D 

3 people like this

Okay, this is a probably a dumb question, but what does it mean to "consumate a marriage", and why is it important?

I have this image of my wife and me on our wedding night, I turn to my wife and say, "So babe what do we do now?" Lol...yeah I'm kinda clueless.

That's exactly what it is. After your wedding, you come back home with your new spouse, and one of you says, "Now what?" (really more like "what are we waiting for?") And everything goes from there.

3 people like this