Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sobriquet

An atheist with an odd feeling

10 posts in this topic

I'll start by saying I'm an atheist, but there's just something, odd, that I'm feeling at the moment. I almost feel the need for spiritual validation. I don't believe in a God, but I do take comfort and guidance from scripture. I'm not conflicted in my belief that there are no gods, that I am sure of. What confuses me is my seeming want for what can only amount to religion. Am I just lacking in some sort of guiding factor in life? A moral rock if you will? It is just a very odd feeling. Does anyone here have a similar feeling, or can give me advice?

I signed up for this website to finalize my decision to wait, and here I am airing a laundry list of concerns I've had for years. I really am thankful I've found this place.

1 person likes this

It is good that you are seeking the truth!  In my own words, the bible says that we all are born to seek God and atheism is basically acknowledging that.  Atheism is a strong belief that their is no other greater entity or creator of the universe.  Atheism is absolute.  How does anyone really know anything for sure?  So whether one believes in God or not, I personally would be afraid to nix all possibilities.  And if there really is a God, the bible states there are grave dangers in turning your back on God.  I support the seeking of truth, a lifelong pursuit.  Truth isn't a culture.  Truth isn't what people say.  Truth is inside you.  [Truth is consistent and doesn't change (your moral rock).  Seek and you shall find.  Reap what you sow (long term reflection of one's own trial and error and what that shows about life and truth).  Follow your intuition (your gut feeling).] To me, this is how to discover truth.  but we'll never find it if we aren't listening to our innermost spirit (our gut) and instead listening to everyone else. 

1 person likes this

I'll start by saying I'm an atheist, but there's just something, odd, that I'm feeling at the moment. I almost feel the need for spiritual validation. I don't believe in a God, but I do take comfort and guidance from scripture. I'm not conflicted in my belief that there are no gods, that I am sure of. What confuses me is my seeming want for what can only amount to religion. Am I just lacking in some sort of guiding factor in life? A moral rock if you will? It is just a very odd feeling. Does anyone here have a similar feeling, or can give me advice?

I signed up for this website to finalize my decision to wait, and here I am airing a laundry list of concerns I've had for years. I really am thankful I've found this place.

An atheist would never even consider believing in God, or any sort of religion. They wouldn't question if religion is true or not. But that's exactly what an agnostic does. Perhaps they don't believe, but they question if they are right or not, and vice versa. They do not write off religion completely, which is what atheists do. So just saying, you can't be an atheist. But you did write, "I'm not conflicted in my belief that there are no gods, that I am sure of." That is very atheist. Truthfully I don't understand what you are trying to say. I'm an atheist, and I've never lacked morals or found them hard to find. But sometimes I can see why so many people believe in God. In the dark/scary/cold moments of your life when you feel alone, it's nice to believe that someone is looking out for you and will protect you. So even though I am an atheist I totally get the allure of religion. it's nice to think, "my future looks pretty bleak, maybe God will hear my prayers and help," instead of thinking, "my future looks pretty bleak, gotta suck it up and deal with it the best I can." Is that sort of what you meant?

1 person likes this

I think you've got an idea of what I mean. I don't want a god, and I don't seek a religion. I do find that religious works (not necessarily just the bible) carry some very comforting and guiding passages (along with many things I don't agree with, but to each his own). I suppose it seems that those who do genuinely believe in religions seem to have a special brand of satisfaction with life. I think that satisfaction and comfort is what I seek. I think I'd find religion though to be rather unfulfilling. Now that I've considered it, I think maybe what I'm looking for is really a philosophy, or something of that style.

I think you've got an idea of what I mean. I don't want a god, and I don't seek a religion. I do find that religious works (not necessarily just the bible) carry some very comforting and guiding passages (along with many things I don't agree with, but to each his own). I suppose it seems that those who do genuinely believe in religions seem to have a special brand of satisfaction with life. I think that satisfaction and comfort is what I seek. I think I'd find religion though to be rather unfulfilling. Now that I've considered it, I think maybe what I'm looking for is really a philosophy, or something of that style.

You "don't want a god"?  What if there is one?  You don't want Him?  Atheism is more of a statement, "there is no greater being." 

Also.. people who go to church regularly throughout their life live longer (a statistic) and are happier (long-term happiness).  Sort of coincides with what you have stated about the "special brand of satisfaction with life". 

God is not a religion.  People create religion.  Therefore there is no perfect religion, so a perfect religion will not be found. 

Optimally, the pursuit of truth in time will help to develop a solid philosophy. 

1 person likes this

You "don't want a god"?  What if there is one?  You don't want Him?  Atheism is more of a statement, "there is no greater being." 

Also.. people who go to church regularly throughout their life live longer (a statistic) and are happier (long-term happiness).  Sort of coincides with what you have stated about the "special brand of satisfaction with life". 

God is not a religion.  People create religion.  Therefore there is no perfect religion, so a perfect religion will not be found. 

Optimally, the pursuit of truth in time will help to develop a solid philosophy. 

I just don't find myself believing in a god at the moment. I do very much like your statement about god and religion being seperate. It is a distinction I think more people should draw. Things change, and people change. Perhaps some day in the future something may convince me there is a god, but I doubt it would be through organized religion. I think I've found the solution that I was seeking elsewhere though.

I just don't find myself believing in a god at the moment. I do very much like your statement about god and religion being seperate. It is a distinction I think more people should draw. Things change, and people change. Perhaps some day in the future something may convince me there is a god, but I doubt it would be through organized religion. I think I've found the solution that I was seeking elsewhere though.

You ever thought of extensively researching some things , such as for example, the shroud of turin?

You will be very surprised at what you find. ;)

You ever thought of extensively researching some things , such as for example, the shroud of turin?

You will be very surprised at what you find. ;)

Or the Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano. Ooh, hang on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kuxEJXgGSI

If you've got an hour, that's an interesting video. It's a little icky if you don't like blood, but otherwise you should be fine.

xxx

Thank for the video Jegsy, i will probably watch it either tomorrow or on the weekend. The miracle of lanciano is an amazing eucharistic miracle. I have spent a few months studying it . There are quite a few amazing aspects to it. It has no preservatives added to it and yet it has remained fresh since the 700's ad. Whats also interesting about it is that it has the same blood type (AB) of the shroud of turin and the miracle of lanciano.

My area of expertise is in the shroud of turin, which I have studied now for 4+ years.

If your a seeker who is a touchey feelee kind of seeker who needs something solid to research the shroud is it.

It has converted quite a few agnostics who really took the time to research it.

Doctor August Accetta was one such person who grew up in a catholic household but became an agnostic during his twenties because he was convinced that religion was nothing but a crutch to help people deal with death.

During his research on the shroud as being one of the sturp team of scientists that researched the shroud he had become convinced that teh shroud was the burial cloth of Christ and the only reasonable explanation for the sophisticated image on the cloth was the resurrection.

But Doctor Accetta went even further. He allowed himself to ingest potentially harmfull radioactive material because of a hunch he had about how the image was formed by some type of gamma rays. To date he came closest to replicating most of the unique aspects of the shroud of any scientist yet, and as a result of all of this he converted back to the faith of his childhood. He also runs the shroud center of southern california, so if any of you ever get a chance to get out there pay the center a visit.

For anyone interested in getting into the research of the shroud, there is a Doctor who is currently giving presentations and lectures on it all over the USA.

Here is one of his video presentations to a highschool class

After this video you will have an elementary understanding of what Science has so far found out about the shroud.

Now as far as the recent news of the new method used to date the shroud that puts it within the time of Christ Give or take 200 years, they are still waiting on professor fanti's Chain of evidence that will prove that the shroud fibers fanti acquired were from the shroud tube that had the then cardinal ballestrero's seal on it, so the chain of evidence still needs to be proven on that.

As I said jegsy, I will make some time to watch this video.

Thanks again for the video linki :)

Bobby

Update: I just had to get a sneak peek at the video link Jegsy gave us so I watched the first 23 minutes before getting ready for bed :)

Ill probably finish it off tomorrow. Fascinating video.

Thanks again Jegsy

1 person likes this

You find yourself thinking that the bible has good writings but God is the one who wrote them. I read what you said about wanting that satisfaction in life, truthfully life is harder for a christian than most cause of how we try to live the satisfaction comes in a personal relationship with God. It may not be what you believe but that is why. When I have a hard time in life I lean on my God and satisfied by him and defined by him. I hope all that makes sense I know it may be odd sounding but it's how I see it.