Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

Moving abroad for your partner?

17 posts in this topic

I asked this question before but I think it was over a year ago. Now with all the new members, I would love to hear new opinions. Would you be willing to move abroad to your partner? Would you be more willing if you we're married? I personally would not move abroad, unless it was to America (unless we have children.) I used to think moving abroad would be exciting and a great experience, but after a shaky (but exciting) month in Germany in June (but a great 5 days in Switzerland,) I am not sure if I could live abroad. Culture shock added with a language barrier (even though I am very conversant in German) is very overwhelming. It also makes things so much more difficult when the people are so different. Everyone was so different in Germany and somewhat different in Switzerland. So now I would be very reluctant to permanently leave Canada. I would be slightly more open-minded if the country's native language is English. I wouldn't be opposed to moving temporarily, but not for a long period of time.

What about you?

I would move somewhere only if it was warmer than where I am now, English is spoken there, and it's not Italy. But other than that no I would not.

Maybe to Australia, but I really, really like the desert Sonoran Desert. I probably wouldn't more to another state though, especially one where it rains often. 

I don't think I would. My family and I are very close and most of them live here. I also love my country and I wouldn't want to leave my beaches long-term. If it were for a very short period of time, I would probably agree if we'd be going somewhere like Italy, Hawaii or Argentina.

It depends where though. If the culture is similar or something I am familiar with then yes. But I would not if the country has dreadful weather like the grey skies of England.

I am actually in a long distance relationship sort-of situation. I am in Ohio and he is over in BC, Canada. I am very close to my family, so I don't know if I'd ever be willing to move abroad to be with someone. However, I think it would depend just how far the move was. If it was just a few states over or a few states down, I think I'd be more willing to than if I had to move to say, Australia or Germany.

Hmm...I think I'd move if I had to, but I'd really rather not. It would make things so much easier if I married someone who lived close to me (at least within driving distance).

Saying that, I'm the only person from Scotland on this site. So far, anyway, other than one other (female) member who was here for a while, but hasn't come back. So with that in mind, it'd be nice if there were some guys on this site who'd be willing to move to Scotland...

xxx

1 person likes this

If it were anywhere in Canada then sure. I wouldn't want to move very far from my family. Maybe like a couple of hours. Like another city.

If I don't have a ring on my finger I would definitely not move anywhere for him. But if I were married I would have no problem moving anywhere. But if we had kids I would think it would be too hard for the kids because I want them to have a stable environment but we would have to do it for the sake of the family. 

I absolutely would. I have a very close relationship with my family but don't feel the need to live in the same city or even the same country in order to maintain the relationship. Although I am currently in Korea, I speak to my Dad every week and the time that I do spend at home is wonderful, quality time. I have lived in a few different countries when I was growing up so I feel I could adapt to living anywhere. Also, my job as a teacher offers the flexibility to work virtually anywhere in the world so I would have no problem moving to wherever my husband lives. 

3 people like this

I have lived abroad before and enjoyed the experience. I want to move abroad again anyways, so if they lived abroad it would be a big bonus because they already know about the customs and the language of that region and they could easily teach me.  

I would move around before we have kids. I kinda like the idea of travelling around Europe for a couple years, but once we have kids I want to settle down and be close to family; I think it's very beneficial to have your kids growing up around other people they can truly trust with anything. Plus, the free babysitting isn't too bad either  ;)

If we were married, of course I would move abroad for him. I would do anything for my husband. Plus, I love travelling and would love to live abroad--anywhere--for an extended period of time!

If I were married, I'd definitely consider it after all marriages only work due to compromise and sacrifice sometimes. It really depends on the reason he wanted to move as well.

There certainly isn't much tying me to England though; I definitely wouldn't want to live here for the rest of my life and would love to live abroad (if it's the right place).

Yes, definitely. I'm extremely interested in other cultures, so I wouldn't think twice about it. It's actually one of my dreams to live in France. Moving to Canada would be cool too.

1 person likes this