Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest markb4

Celebrities and Marriage

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was just wondering if others here besides myself are disgusted and confused about the celebrity marriage. What I mean is the majority of celebrities whose marriages last only a few years and they seem to have spouses by the dozen. It just bothers me that they can't keep their relationship up. I think they give up wayyy too early.

I know there are celebrities who have long-lasting marriages such as Dustin Hoffman, Hugh Laurie, etc. And especially the actors of the golden age of Hollywood where marriage was a virtue and divorce was looked down upon. But for the portion of celebrities who end marriages quickly (Kim Kardashian, etc.), I was just wondering why do you think they do that? Publicity? They think marriage is a game? They give up too early? etc?

For Kim Kardashian, marriage was a way to promote her brand. And it did get her a lot of publicity. People talking about how she is immoral are only increasing the attention and exposure she gets.

There is an increasing thought that marriage is the new boyfriend/girlfriend. It's not seen as a serious lifelong commitment anymore.

In a way I think this is bad and in a way I think this is good. It is bad for the obvious reasons: loss of trust, hurt, betrayal, lack of integrity, etc.

However, it is good because the "marriage industry" has for decades (centuries?) been promoting marriage and the wedding day as the peak experience in life, complete with wedding gowns and expensive diamonds. I would be happy to see all of this pomp & circumstance go. And people are starting to realize that all the pomp & circumstance is stupid.

When you think about it, all a marriage consists of is a legal contract. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with spirituality or commitment; people can be married & not committed to each other, committed to each other & not married, or committed married & atheist. Even when a marriage is performed in a church, that church has absolutely no say when the couple decides to call it quits. The lawyers, however, DO get involved. Something is wrong with this approach.

I"m so glad you mentioned this Mark! I def. agree with what you've said. Personally, I really think celebrities are obsessed with attention to they'll do anything to stay in the limelight and money. and it could be possibly that they give up too early or could care less to try that's just my take