Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest markb4

How will u solve problems as a couple?

4 posts in this topic

Hey all,

If/Once we get married, it's inevitable that as a couple although we love each other, we may fall into some disagreement/spat/problem/argument w/each other. So my question is, how would you go about solving it? Wud u apologize first or want ur partner to? Will you make a rule never to go to bed angry at each other? Etc?

I love this question very much Mark.

Well I read a book on relationships one time and one thing I never forgot was trick to diffuse an argument was to bite my tongue down and LISTEN. It gave a trick to let the other person talk for one whole full minute then I can talk for one whole full minute then back and forth. I would try that try to understand his side too.

and if that didn't work I would cry and get really sad and hide out if he was still mad at me.

I would want me and my wife to sit down and talk things out... Listen to each other and try and understand each others thoughts, feelings and opinions on the matter.

I think making sure you are civil to each other I.e NEVER CALL EACH OTHER NAMES, no put downs, always listen to each other etc.

Never go to bed angry with each other or with unresolved issues is really important too me... Otherwise I will be too upset too sleep.

I hope me and my wife will always sort things out this way!

To solve problems in your marriage—along with your other closest relationships—first begin by stating your positive reason why you want to solve a specific issue. For example, in Ron and Patty’s case, something like the following could be said: "Honey, I’d like to talk to you about the issue we have about chores. I don’t want to make you wrong. I just want to work out something that would be agreeable to both of us. I’d really like to avoid arguments and instead spend more time feeling intimate with each other. Would you be willing to talk about it so we could finally resolve this issue?"

When you tell people the ultimate positive reason why you want to solve a problem with them, they’ll tend to be receptive to listening to you.

After presenting your positive reason for talking to someone, don’t fall into the trap of presenting your side of the issue. Instead, begin by asking him or her "the amazing problem solving question." The power of this question is that it gently directs people to think in ways that are helpful for solving the issue at hand. In addition, by asking the person you’re dealing with to solve the problem, it prevents the two of you from bickering and establishes your sincerity in looking for a solution. The question is, "Considering my needs and desires with this issue, what do you propose might be a compromise that would work for both of us?"

There are three possibilities of what someone will do when asked this question. First, they may present a solution that you find agreeable. If they do, tell them how great of an idea it is, write the solution down on paper and keep your end of the bargain. If he or she says they don’t have any ideas, or if their ideas are not acceptable to you, you can say, "Those are interesting suggestions you made. Would you be open to hearing some ideas I have that might work for both of us?" Since you let them go first, they’ll feel obliged now to listen to your suggestions. When proposing possible solutions, try to present at least a couple of specific ideas; that way they’ll see that you’re not dead set on a specific solution, and it will create a better atmosphere for compromise.

If you or the person you’re talking with fall back into the blame game, ask the problem-solving question again. Keep steering yourself back toward exploring solutions that are acceptable to the both of you. You might ask your spouse, "What is most important to you about [the issue at hand], or what most bothers you about the problem?" The more you understand each other, the more likely you’ll be able to come up with agreements that truly work.