Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Piper

doing things together

12 posts in this topic

I lead a pretty active life, and it's got me to thinking lately about how this might influence relationships/marriage. I like canoeing, hiking, traveling etc and I think i'd really need someone who can keep up with that. How do you all feel? If you're the adventuresome type, do you need a partner who feels the same, or would you be okay wth someone to come home to? If you're a little less inclined towards adventuring, would you be willing to leave your comfort zone for your significant other?

I love leaving the house, and going some where. I'll drive for hours with no real place to go, no place in particular. I love to travel and I love to be active, if whoever I end up with doesn't like to be active, there's going to be some conflicts.

Definitely make sure if you like going out and about that he/she is not a hermit. My current boyfriend enjoy going to sushi bars and chinese buffets and also to gaming conventions and stuff. We also play D&D with mutal friends online. I'm the druid of the party and he is the paladin in our current campaign. 

I hope sometime we can ride our bikes together. He just recently got his bike fix. Also, I'd love to take him out on my family's boat. 

I'm not an expert (then again, who is?), but I'll throw out some thoughts. It seems you would have to want to do at least some things together, whether it invovles staying in together or going out and doing something together. Considering I have other strict dealbreakers and requirements, I plan on trying to be very flexible in regards to sharing her interests or accepting that she doesn't share a lot of mine. If she didn't want to do a lot of the stuff I want to, I would be okay with just coming home to her. Additionally, I'll try to do some of the stuff she would like to do if she would rather just not come home to me. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't be able to handle the extreme of her never doing anything with me or always doing stuf with her I don't want to if I feel I need the relaxation at home, but, like I said, I plan on trying to be flexible.

Oh my gosh, Nicole, I should totally get that T-shirt and wear it next time we Skype. Hopefully he'll get the hint. 

Since I'm attracted to the muscular type.. My guy would most likely be an active one (can't get abs by watchin tv 24/7 365 days of the yr lol) that being said.. I want an adventurer BUT trust me I like the indoors very much as well so we'll need to be balanced with each other. I'm sure whatever we do together (indoors/outdoors) well be having loads of fun together ;)

4 people like this

I also lead a pretty darn active lifestyle, and so I would definitely want my future wife to be somewhat athletic and enjoy outdoors stuff.

But also certainly enjoy indoors activities also.

4 people like this

(can't get abs by watchin tv 24/7 365 days of the yr lol)

You talking Egirly. I've been in that situation and I know how frustrating that can be... oigh. There is nothing frustrating or irritating when your partner wants to watch television rather than having a good conversation. Been there got the t-shirt.. only need the cap and then I'm rigged.

But on serious note. I will love to help and assist my wife with washing dishes, making the bed, cleaning the house, doing exercises together or helping everywhere you can [until my hip gives in :P ] But what I dislike of we men [not all of them] .. in the beginning we are very eager to help, but after 5yrs plus we become couch potatoes and let the woman do everything in the house.

1 person likes this

Am pretty much a junkie for trying out new things whether indoors or outdoors  ^_^ I would be okay if my partner liked different activities from mine so long as they are open minded and willing  to compromise some of the times.

I think it's great to have things in common but I also think the differences are just as important ; that way you get to try things you would never have otherwise done when alone and you might end up discovering something new about yourself....

Isn't that what relationships are for anyways...how else will you ever get to know someone fully if you never interested in knowing/ at least trying to find out  that other part of their life..

So my answer is no I don't think I would be fine with just someone to come home to, it could get really monotonous after some time...

I agree with Jada. I like both indoor and outdoor activities, so I would be open to whatever - well maybe not something extreme like sky diving. I hope who ever I marry would be open to trying things that I like and finding other activities that we both haven't done before :)

1 person likes this

I think it comes down to health habits... Most people who are active place value on their health... If their partner is completely opposite (like a couch potato type) there could be conflict...because then when their sedentary (sp) partner gets sick due to their health habits, it's really unfair to put the other "active" partner through all that emotional stress and other burden...

But if we're talking about "adventure" stuff like hiking and traveling, I think I'd be ok with a compromise if my partner is more of a homebody -- because for me, it would be nice just to be in their company. I would want him to share in some activities with me (i.e. traveling is a must!) but it's not like I'll drag him to yoga or zumba, hahahaha! ^_^