Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Francois

White wedding dress?

9 posts in this topic

Okay, I've been talking to people about this topic before and would like to know your thoughts....

To me (and without doing deep research I believe this is the origin of it) wearing a white wedding dress on a wedding symbolizes purity, thus being a virgin still on one's wedding day. I feel that someone who has been sleeping around does not deserve to have claim to purity and to also show off with a white dress. It is a privilage that they lost. Many woman wear it only out of tradition perhaps not knowing. Depending on the replies I have a second or third question to follow.

A white dress does represent sexual purity. But it doesn't only represent that, it represents happiness as well, doesn't mean a woman can't wear a white wedding dress, she isn't un-deserving of a white dress if she isn't a virgin.

A person can wear what ever they want on their wedding day.

2 people like this

I think traditions mean something, and if a bride isn't pure, she shouldn't wear the color of purity. It's pretty sad they make wedding gowns in maternity sizes now.

It's true that a white wedding dress has become a symbol of the bride's virginity, but when the practice first became popular (after Queen Victoria wore white for her wedding to Prince Albert) that wasn't what the colour white symbolised. The colour white was more a statement of wealth, since it was an impractical colour for clothing, and symbolised "Look at me, I'm rich enough to buy a dress I'm only going to wear this one day!" White also symbolised happiness. Before that, any colour would be worn for weddings, and people usually wore just their Sunday best, since most couldn't buy a whole new outfit for just one day, or thought it was a waste of money. My own grandmother, who grew up during WWII and experienced the whole "make-do-and-mend" and rationing culture didn't wear a white dress either. She wore a lilac suit, jacket and skirt, her Sunday best. (She looks very pretty in her photos, I think.)

Anyway, nowadays we think of white symbolising virginity and purity, but that's a relatively new thing. That's okay though, since colours change their associations all the time. That's just how the culture works. I'm not going to tell a woman that she can't wear white on her wedding day. You can wear whatever you want. Just because it's come to represent virginity doesn't mean non-virgins can't wear it. I certainly wouldn't prefer a society where non-virgins are told, "No, you have to wear a different colour so everyone can see you're not a virgin". Everyone deserves to be able to start over again. 

(Incidentally, in the Western world we now think of the colour red being the colour of sex and lust, like prostitutes would wear. In the East, it's the traditional colour brides wear. And in Jesus's time, it was the colour that symbolised virginity. The colour blue symbolised maternity and motherhood, hence why the Virgin Mary is often depicted wearing both blue and red. Just a thought of how colours change.)

xxx

8 people like this

Yeah I could care less. Many people don't even know that white dresses mean that, and even i didn't know that until I joined this site. Even if it was a widely broadcasted fact, I have a feeling that many women would still wear white, simply because they want to portray that they are innocent. 

1 person likes this

I actually want more of an ivory dress with gold embroidery from Rivendell Bridal. My mother's dress was ivory colored too. I really like ivory and champagne, also antique rose and ice blue. Those more dilute and/or muted colors look good to me.

I've known many people who have different wedding dress color traditions according to their heritage, like I think in India they wear red wedding dresses, but I'm not quite sure. 

2 people like this

I think it's fair to say it has just become what is normal. Whether you are pure or not.."white is just the color people where at weddings" is the mentality today just as much as "having sex before you marry someone to test comparability " is. Even if people know that...like Alex said..they want to portray purity and innocence even if they carry neither. As for the whole losing the privelage to wear white thing..I honestly don't know exactly what I'd conclude with that..but i know Id find it ok for a reborn virgin to wear white without argument.. I just don't know If I could tell a friend who may have been promiscuous that she couldn't wear white to her wedding. Mixed feelings on that last part but pretty clear on the beginning :)

1 person likes this

White wedding dress is not only symbol of purity but also joy and happiness. I'm very happy that clothing brand manufactures maternity bra and dresses as pregnant woman have equal right to wear that dress that virgin lady have.

1 person likes this

I agree if a woman keeps doing it but let's say she changes and becomes pure again then I think its okay.