Guest markb4

Driving

39 posts in this topic

I don't mind driving, I have done so much highway driving by myself (5+ hour trips) and I even drove while in Europe, so I guess you could say I enjoy it for the most part.

But I have no problem letting a man drive. When I'm with my BF he usually drives, but we do trade off when taking road trips to see family. He's way better on ice and in blizzards than me, and since our relationship has not extended into the summer months yet, we've experienced a lot of it together.

I was recently talking to this guy I know, who is 26, and he told me that he has never dated or been on a date with a girl who can drive. I was shocked by this, as I thought it was very uncommon for many places in Canada, unless you live in a big city. These were mostly rural women. I can only think of two women that I know who did not have licences as adults, but they both have them now. Anyways, that little bit of info from this guy blew my mind a little, and he seemed a little annoyed by it.

Not saying anything against people who don't drive, this is just unusual considering the environment i grew up in. If you dont drive, it can be, depending on where you live and what you do, hard to have a job. If I lived in a big city, public transportation was good, and my relatives, who are numerous, didn't live all over creation, I don't think I would have even gotten my licence, or at least would have delayed.

I say bring on the teleportation devices.

If we had to live in a Doom world, how bad would that really be?

He HAS to drive unless there's a reason he can't

Driving is scary. Also I don't know how to drive yet. I would prefer him to drive most of the time if he's available to drive me, unless he drives like a manic.  

Any, even if i'd prefer him drive. This being said it dépends on how he drives. If i'm not comfortable with him behind the stearing Wheel, well I will be the driver.

Oh, I would definitely prefer that he drives, assuming he's a decent driver, of course.

I'd say I like to drive maybe 5-10% of the time. If we're going somewhere trafficky or difficult to find parking, then I shouldn't be allowed to drive; I'm very susceptible to road rage, though at least I've been told that my version of it is more amusing to passengers than it is scary. Or if we're driving a large SUV or Truck, then while I'm fine driving it, I probably shouldn't be allowed to park it.

So basically, unless he's an absolutely terrible driver or unconscious or something, he should be the one to drive. Unless we're going somewhere that I need to drive in order to know the directions to. Because I'm terrible with directions, but good at remembering routes I've driven before.

Lol, I thought this was going to be a topic on how women are bad drivers.  I like driving, but I also wouldn't care if he wanted to drive all the time.  Especially if he's a really good driver and likes going fast, that would be fun. 

3 people like this

I actually have a severe phobia of driving; I still don't have my license because of it. :( I'm trying to overcome this and learn to drive, but I'll probably always be relieved when someone else is willing to handle that particular responsibility. Unfortunately, my boyfriend isn't wild about driving either, so I'll probably end up having to drive more often than I'd prefer.

This is so me too. I have a severe driving phobia as well and still don't have my license yet either.

Vince is right about people who shouldn't be on the road. You don't even just have to look out for yourself it's everyone else around you.

Underthesun I'm awful with directions and I suck at even remembering routes I've been on. This is another part of my phobia - not knowing where exactly I am or how to get to my destination/home. I don't even want to picture myself parking lol.

I would definitely prefer him to drive.

I honestly don't mind taking turns. To be fair though, my husband will probably want to drive most of the time seeing as though I am lacking enormously in the good-driving skills department.

My husband's going to drive, because I don't know how and not interested in learning. Driving would make me too anxious anyway. 

When I was younger I used to count down the years till I could get my driver's license ("X years till I turn 16 and can get my driver's license!"), but it's been years since I turned 16, and I'm not any closer to getting one as I was when I was younger. Lost interest in it and don't really care about it. My brother is closer to getting one than me (he's on the practicing driving part), and he's 4 years younger than me. 

Since I'm not getting married (I'm hoping my interest in being in a relationship goes away like my interest to learn to drive has. Fingers crossed!  :)), I'm going to have to eventually learn to drive myself or hire a personal chauffeur.

1 person likes this

I actually have a severe phobia of driving; I still don't have my license because of it.  :( I'm trying to overcome this and learn to drive, but I'll probably always be relieved when someone else is willing to handle that particular responsibility. Unfortunately, my boyfriend isn't wild about driving either, so I'll probably end up having to drive more often than I'd prefer.

Since this thread has been revived I'll post an update: I have my license and have been driving for about a year now!  :D

I'm not gonna lie, it was terrifying for the first couple of months. But I found that I was able to build a lot more confidence once I was legally able to drive solo and didn't have to worry about endangering the friends/family members who would be nice enough to ride passenger when I just had a learner's permit. I've even made a couple of 3+ hour trips! Now my boyfriend and I split the driving about 50/50 (though I admit, I still do feel a bit relieved when it's his turn to drive.)

2 people like this

I don't drive. I don't have my permit and neither do I want to get it. I'm lucky to live in a country with numerous bike lanes and extremely â€‹good public transport, so it's never been a necessity for me. I'm much happier walking, biking or taking the tram :) Honestly I'd be happiest if he didn't drive either. But if he did, well, sure, we can drive, but he's going to be the one behind the wheel!

A few years ago, I went on a date with someone. I had to do all the driving. I know the question was asking about husband/wife scenarios, but I think I can squeeze in a brief discussion about a not-so-significant other. The guy I was dating had told me that his car was in the shop or something like that, so I had to pick him up from work and take him to our destination. I also had to drop him off at his house when the date was over. I really didn't like the idea of feeling like I was a chauffeur all the time. I'm a very good driver, but I'm not the kind of person who automatically knows how to get somewhere without using a GPS. If I ever get married, I might prefer my husband to do the majority of the driving at first.

I wouldn't mind if my husband drove me at all. My job includes 50% travel and sometimes when I get home from work, I don't want to drive around more because of it.

I will also add...that I find it important for a man to drive, have his own car, etc. Now in NYC, where there's massive transportation, that wouldn't matter. On Long Island and in other parts of New York State--you're screwed if you don't have a car. Sure, you can use the bus and taxi...but you have more independence and responsibility if you own a car.

I dated a guy who didn't drive, and after awhile, it was taxing and tiring since I always had to pick him up, drive him home, whenever we went out. If he had used bus/taxi or some type of service at times, it would've helped. I put up with it at the time because I recalled a time when I didn't drive either, and my boyfriend at the time drove us around. But now? Now it's different...now I appreciate a man who drives.