Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ImpossibleIsNothing

Willpower

10 posts in this topic

I think willpower is a huge component, but it will only take you so far. You need to have some reasons behind your decision to help bolster the pure willpower. In order for most people to reach a goal/stick to a plan they generally need some kind of motivation. Whether that is running away from something that scares them (STDs, pregnancy outside of marriage) or running towards something that makes them excited about their decision (having a special bond with only one person, being the person they want to be, making their first time special). I guess there are some people out there who could go solely off of willpower, but I think all of us have reasons for wtm that go deeper than doing it just cause.

6 people like this

I think willpower is a huge component, but it will only take you so far. You need to have some reasons behind your decision to help bolster the pure willpower. In order for most people to reach a goal/stick to a plan they generally need some kind of motivation. Whether that is running away from something that scares them (STDs, pregnancy outside of marriage) or running towards something that makes them excited about their decision (having a special bond with only one person, being the person they want to be, making their first time special). I guess there are some people out there who could go solely off of willpower, but I think all of us have reasons for wtm that go deeper than doing it just cause.

I'm not sure why you would wait just because you have willpower. It would be strange if someone said, "I'm waiting until marriage just to test my willpower." I feel like willpower is less and end in and of itself and more something you use to achieve a goal.

I think you need more. Willpower comes from your own flesh and relying on fully on yourself, and when your flesh is left to make THAT choice, I believe at one point or another you will need more than just willpower.

2 people like this

Willpower is a good start but in the end I don't think it's enough. In my own strength apart from God's grace i don't know how i would have kept waiting this long. But i think willpower does help and having a firm decision a the beginning is helpful.

2 people like this

Well, obviously you need some support since it can get really emotionally taxing after a while. It's really easy if you are like me and don't find sex very important or are occupied with other things whether it is hobbies, occupation, or exploring other perks besides sex that a relationship has to offer because seriously, there is a lot of them, it could keep me satisfied for years.

But yeah, just find a good supportive SO and group whether it is us or your church or whatever and it will be much easier. 

Willpower yes but I am a believer that God gives me strength too so those are my biggest supports I suppose.

I think willpower is a big part of it, but I think it's more important to know why you want to wait. I have a firm grip on my reasons to wait and I'm also very stubborn. Support from a significant other also helps and of course I credit my religion with some of my success. Obviously you don't need religion to wait though, seeing as there are several people here who wait that are not religious. Just like your reasons to wait can different from another persons, what allows to hold on to waiting can be different too.

4 people like this