Piper

Like minded people?

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone on this forum get the opportunity to hang out with like-minded people outside of the Internet? I really have no problem getting along with most anyone, but it would be nice to be able to socialize with people who have a similar perspective and worldview. It just doesn't seem like there's much opportunity for that sort of thing in the post-college working world. I'm currently in a very isolated situation where I can't really do any kind of socializing outside of work, but I'm relocating to KY in the fall where there's hopefully more human civilization. So do any of you guys have a WTM peer group? Do you have like minded friends or are you mostly alone in your wtm decision?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I guess I'm just looking for ideas on how to locate peers who don't think my decision to wait makes me the equivalent of a two-headed circus freak.

1 person likes this

I'm never alone or short of like minded people with my view of the world, no one I know shares my WTM choice though, but I don't care about that either, since its not that important in a friendship.

You have to either figure out what like-minded people like you are doing, and then go do that. Or, learn to play well on your own. I chose the latter. And found a few likeminded people along the way. Most of them don't really want to talk about it though.

Whereabouts in KY, just curious?

Well I always think church is one of the best places to find like-minded people in regards to WTM if you're the religious sort. Not everyone there is going to be WTM obviously, but the chances are better than finding them elsewhere. Joining some sort of non-profit organization and volunteering might lead you to some like minded people too.

Other than that, I personally keep in touch with a number of members here outside of WTM.org. While usually it's through Internet services like skype or FB, I also talk to some through texting or over the phone. I've even met a few people here in real life too. If you happen to know someone here who lives near you, it doesn't hurt to reach out to them. Worst thing that could happen is they don't respond, best case scenario you earn a like minded friend :)

2 people like this

Two of my closest friends, a guy and a girl, are waiting. They're both Christians. I can't talk about anything like this to the guy, though, because he's a sheltered prude. Any mention of real life issues, like sex, marriage, or politics, and he clams up. My female friend is much more easy to talk to...we've had many deep and enjoyable conversations. 

1 person likes this

I don't talk about waiting until marrriage with anyone outside of this site. I have a cousin who I think waited, but it's a cousin who I don't see very often and who I wouldn't want to talk about this with. I know someone else who I was told was waiting at one point, but has since had sex. I'm not sure if that was a slip up or if he's not waiting anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be talking about this off the internet. I think it might even feel a little weird at first talking about this with a girlfriend.

Well I always think church is one of the best places to find like-minded people in regards to WTM if you're the religious sort. Not everyone there is going to be WTM obviously, but the chances are better than finding them elsewhere.

I remember I started a thread a while back asking if church was a place to meet virgins and it seemed like a lot of people didn't think so. I can't remember if you responded in that thread or not. Do you really think there is a pretty good chance of meeting other waiters/virgins there?

I remember I started a thread a while back asking if church was a place to meet virgins and it seemed like a lot of people didn't think so. I can't remember if you responded in that thread or not. Do you really think there is a pretty good chance of meeting other waiters/virgins there?

Of course church is a good place. Most waiters are at least partially motivated by faith so why wouldn't places of worship be the ideal place? It's true that many religious people have had premarital sex, but compared to most every day places like school, the bars and parties, places of worship has the highest chances of finding virgins I think.

1 person likes this

Of course church is a good place. Most waiters are at least partially motivated by faith so why wouldn't places of worship be the ideal place? It's true that many religious people have had premarital sex, but compared to most every day places like school, the bars and parties, places of worship has the highest chances of finding virgins I think.

I tend to think there would be a higher chance, as well. I think it probably also depends on the denomination (I'm thinking in Christian terms since I live in the U.S. and that is, by far, the predominant religion here). I can't imagine many mainline Protestants or Roman Catholics wait in the U.S. I figure it's more the evangelical types.

I tend to think there would be a higher chance, as well. I think it probably also depends on the denomination (I'm thinking in Christian terms since I live in the U.S. and that is, by far, the predominant religion here). I can't imagine many mainline Protestants or Roman Catholics wait in the U.S. I figure it's more the evangelical types.

I would also suggest that certain cultures are more likely to be waiting or conservative about sex than others.

I would also suggest that certain cultures are more likely to be waiting or conservative about sex than others.

I think you're right about this. I've heard Filippinos tend to wait until marriage. I'm not sure how likely it is I will encounter other cultures, though.

1 person likes this

thanks for the thoughts, everyone...it pretty much seems to be the case that running into other WTMers is more a freak accident than anything else :P It isn't hard for me to be friends with most types of people since I mostly choose to fly under the radar as far as waiting goes, but it would be encouraging to meet other waiters...sounds like I need to find a good church i guess.