LookingForTheOne

"The one" versus "my one and only"?

13 posts in this topic

Now, of course, all of us are "looking for the one". And I've noticed that it's not that uncommon...even among people who are not waiting until marriage. I have heard something along the lines of "he's/she's the one!" even from people who aren't waiting. But they don't mean it in the same way we waiters do. Thoughts?

Everyone, waiting or not, is either looking for something lasting or temporary recreation. "The one" depends on said goal..."the one" could be the girl who I thought truly had qualities that would make her a good wife...or it could be the hot chick I just really wanted to do the deed with...either way.

2 people like this

Now, of course, all of us are "looking for the one". And I've noticed that it's not that uncommon...even among people who are not waiting until marriage. I have heard something along the lines of "he's/she's the one!" even from people who aren't waiting. But they don't mean it in the same way we waiters do. Thoughts?

LF1.... you read my mind regarding this thread. Wanted to write similar like this one. How do people know she or he is the one. I've heard numerous men telling me.. he has met "the one" or "she's the one" and when you ask them.. "how do you know".. they respond.. "you just know" .. but after a month or two or even later.. the so called "the one" relationship is gone, or no more. I'm also very intrigue regarding this matter.

2 people like this

Veering a bit off topic, but I don't really believe in the concept of  "the one" as in   the only human being on the earth for you so say the universe  I believe we choose someone and make them into the one and only by working on our relationship and committing to them for a lifetime.

I do wonder what makes  someone decide to marry another person.

5 people like this

I believe in soul mates(friends,lovers etc.) some people were clearly made for each other like pb&j and some are just making it work. Id rather be with someone that was made for me, someone that gets me, accepts me for me and all my uncanny behavior... I'd do better with those folks anyway. 

3 people like this

Veering a bit off topic, but I don't really believe in the concept of  "the one" as in   the only human being on the earth for you so say the universe  I believe we choose someone and make them into the one and only by working on our relationship and committing to them for a lifetime.

I do wonder what makes  someone decide to marry another person.

Correct. Despite my user name, I think the idea of "soul mates" is flawed, and it's not what I think of when I talk about "the one".

"The one" of many is how I've always seen it, I have met "the one" before that I could have spent the rest of my life with but the relationship ended, there's obviously more people out there that i'll be able to spend my life with, but I don't know how many there are.

Based only on the people I know it seems like people  choose  "the one" when they are tired of the dating scene, and feel like they should settle down they marry the first person they get on decently with and that's that.  It's not overly romantic or mystical but I do not mean to be cynical. I sometimes wonder if it's more than  any of that

I'd like to believe that there's such a thing as "the one"...someone you just know is right for you. It would take a lot of the guesswork out of life.

I feel like there are most likely several "the one"s out there for me,  I just need to fine ONE of them.  I don't believe there's only one person for everyone.  People have this image of the person they could see themselves being with for the rest of their lives.  If you think about how many people there are in the world, the idea of there only being one person for you is crazy.  The person(s) out there who you mesh with well, share the same values and morals with, fall in love with, and can ultimately see yourself spending the rest of your life with is the "one" for you.  Who knows how many people that could be...

2 people like this

I recently read a really interesting article that addressed this article from a Christian perspective. It seemed to take a different approach than some other Christian articles I read. If you are interested, I highly recommend reading it, because even if you don't agree with what it says, it will probably make you think:

http://www.boundless.org/relationships/2005/soul-mates-or-sole-mates

1 person likes this

This is much discussed topic but surely there is no such thing as just one person out there for you.  Out of the billions of people out there in the world, there's only ONE individual that you are to marry!?  And so if you don't find her, that's it, you're on the shelf permanently!  Absolutely crazy whoever came up with that idea.  

There are many people out there for any one person to potentially be in a relationship with and eventually marry, it is your choice to choose one of them.  

2 people like this