IAG

Would you marry a twin?

11 posts in this topic

Developing a special kind of bond with my future partner is exceedingly important to me. It's for this reason I question whether I'd be OK with marrying a twin. I feel that twins have such a strong bond that it's bound to alter the closeness between husband and wife in marriage.

I'm sure some people have wonderful experiences marrying a twin, but I've also heard of horror stories.

Here is one example from here:

"My wife and I got married nearly two years ago and there has always been a difficulty that I have had with her twin sister. I can't really explain it, but I remember that initially it was hard for me to accept her calling her sister so much and constantly wanting her sisters advice. I mean once a day I can understand but twice simetimes three time a day. It really got me upset. This issue has stuck around and we haven't really dealt with it. I quite like her twin sister but I feel there is something between them that is exclusive to their relationship. Something I am unable to be a part of . . ."

And to further help you grasp how close twins can be (something non-twins may not be able to fathom):

"But as even most of you twins say over and over in these posts, it is a special bond and no one else can really understand that."

Considering how close twins can be... a closeness that non-twins can't fathom, would you be comfortable marrying a twin? Woud you feel that it could compromise the bond you could have with your future spouse? And would you be willing to risk that?

1 person likes this

I don't feel it could compromise my relationship with someone, I'm perfectly fine with someone saying it is a deal breaker for them though, I understand why they type of bond can bother someone, they'll always want their advice and ideas on something before they ask you.

Good question by the way, I actually never even considered the possibility of marrying someone who has a twin!

Good question! I guess it would depend on the person and how they act while we're dating. If her relationship with her twin was getting in the way of ours, then no I would not marry her. Marriage is supposed to be the most intimate relationship two people can have. But even if she and her twin were really close, if she was mature enough to separate her relationship with mine, then of I would marry her.

5 people like this

It wouldn't get in the way of a relationship with a future spouse. At least not for me cuz i'm a twin.

We're close sure, but she doesn't know everything about me. I would hope guys would be willing to. I think it depends on the person anyway.

Sure I have a lot in common with my identical twin and we have similar interests, etc. But I also have my own particular interests, mind, thoughts, knowledge, views, passions, etc. We are two very similar people, while at the same time we're completely different and unique individuals.

5 people like this

I agree with Kendra, and like a lot of you know I am also an identical twin. Is it nice to be able to get advice/reassurance from somebody that has had almost the same life experience and has, up until this point, witnessed nearly every day of your life? Sure! But that doesn't mean that the relationship will interfere with a marriage. I wouldn't marry somebody unless I trusted them as much as my twin anyways, so all things would be equal. I really don't think this is a problem isolated to twins, think of the ultimate mamas boys, etc. It really is an individual problem.

9 people like this

I agree with Kendra, and like a lot of you know I am also an identical twin. Is it nice to be able to get advice/reassurance from somebody that has had almost the same life experience and has, up until this point, witnessed nearly every day of your life? Sure! But that doesn't mean that the relationship will interfere with a marriage. I wouldn't marry somebody unless I trusted them as much as my twin anyways, so all things would be equal. I really don't think this is a problem isolated to twins, think of the ultimate mamas boys, etc. It really is an individual problem.

Definitely! I think that it really depends on the person.

1 person likes this

I feel like just them being twins might not always make a difference. Them being twins wouldn't automatically mean they are bffffffffs. Any two siblings could have an inseparable relationship so it'd definitely depend on how close any two siblings were not only or limited to twins specifically. Lol the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic is..if the other twin was sick enough before or once being married they might pretend to be their brother seriously and in "special" activities too. That'd be my main concern or that'd Id be confused bc some are extremely hard to tell apart.(I'm sure by marriage I'd know though which is which )

I agree completely with Vince, Missy, and Kendra for me it would have no bearing on whether or not I married a girl if she was a twin. Twins really are individuals, like us all, and should be treated as such. Our bond (husband/wife) must be first above any other...'the most special' bond. Only glitch I would see which has also already been fore mentioned is if their relationship got in the way of our relationship; but this could be true of friends, exs, mamas boys.....Anyone not mature enough too have relationship boundaries and not mix relationships on incompatible levels. Bottom line, I would like to get along with her sister/twin but even if her twin/sister didn't like me it wouldn't matter because I am dating/marrying her and not her twin/sister. Its also important that we both love and trust each other more than anyone ...including family (parents,siblings,etc) ...while you do for the sake of your love interests' care for her family make certain accommodations for family but not ones that interfere with your relationship and vice versa for you...it's a partnership of two people not many.

Bringing it together (all relationships mentioned now would be to the point of unreasonable/ unhealthy) : So this is why men shouldn't seek their moms' advice about their wives and wives shouldn't ask their father for things. Duly a sister shouldn't ask a sister for advice even if its a twin. Seek things and advice from only your spouse and work it out together and you will always be close.

P.S. On a different note- I think there is value from time to time to seek advice and council together such as marriage counseling with a pastor or counselor. But thing about this that makes it different and nice is you do it together and you involve a non-partisan third party and not family or seeking advice alone about your (our) relationship (it's always a partnership)

4 people like this

Haha it's funny you asked this question because I was just thinking of the possibility. Twins seem to be my lot in life. Though I'd think I'd rather be a mommy to twins.

To answer your question I'd expect the same from a twin as a non twin I'd hope they'd have a loving and healthy relationship with family but be able to have appropriate boundaries with them so we could have a healthy relationship as husband and wife.