Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Black_Swordsman

Hair care tips.

18 posts in this topic

I am growing out my hair again since I recently cut it. What would you ladies give for tips on hair care? Big problem I use to have was split ends and my hair being really dried out. The split ends would be really bad to, even was cutting my hair an inch like was recommended but it would still happen. :(

Any advice is highly appreciated! :D

1 person likes this

How many times do you trim your hair? How long is it? Because from what I've read if you have like shoulder length hair and wear your hair out often, the hair constantly rubbing against your shirts can cause split ends. I'm guessing it's like some sort of friction thing. You could try cutting your hair, or dusting (which is different from trimming hair because I believe it means that you cut off less than half an inch, which wouldn't make a difference in the length of your hair), every six weeks. Some people even put oils like olive oil or coconut oil (yes these can be used for other reasons than cooking) or their hair product of choice like a leave in conditioner on the end of their hair, I guess to make like a barrier around your hair.

For dry hair you can try making a hair mask which works like the ones used for your face. You can buy them in most stores that sell hair stuff. Or you can make your own. I personally like making it out of avocado and I'll add like oils to add extra moisture, because I have naturally dry hair. You can even put your hair in one of those shower caps things and let it sit for like 10-30 minutes. Your body heat will help open up your hair shafts to allow the mask to better condition your hair. You can do this after you wash your hair or before. I do it after because I use shampoos with sulfates. I guess you can do this when ever you feel that your hair is feeling dry? I think if you searched about deep conditioning/hair masks they'll explain it better lol.

There are also things in shampoos called sulfates, which appearently can strip your hair of moisture. Companys have begun to make sulfate free shampoos which are suppose to help. I think this depends on your preferences, your hair type (oily or dry, straight, curly or coily), and how often you wash your hair. I do use sulfate shampoos because I only wash my hair once a week due to dryness and I feel like it really takes the products that I have been using through out the week off of my scalp.

Okay I'll shut up now. Hope this helps a little.

1 person likes this

It was around 12 inches, and I never realized it could be due to friction, I'll look into the hair masks as well. I never knew about the sulfates as well. Thank you very much! :D

There's only one thing I think I've noticed that gives me split ends: Do not use hair straightners! I hardly even use the things, but whenever I do, I notice my hair is full of split ends later on.

And...I'm out of advice. I'm not great with hair advice...

xxx

Sounds like you need a deep conditioner try Apple cider vinegar rinse(3/4 water 1/4 acv) it works wonders and its natural, leave it on your hair for about 15 or 20 minutes and rinse it out that should restore some moisture also if you put oils on your ends with a little water over night you can seal in moisture and that also helps with hair growth since youre wanting to protect and retain your ends.  Castor oil is the best for that its thick and feels greasy at first but if you put it (small amount) on your ends with water over night your hair should absorb it. Anyway while doing this I recommend cutting off about an inch every 3 to 5 months depending on how bad it is thats how I got rid of my split ends since the castor oil strengthens the hair strand too, and  cotton pillow case can tear the hair strands causing split ends.  Also braids are your best friend at this point since you want to repair your hair and prevent further damage keeping a leave-in conditioner on your hair and keeping it in braids keeps the hair up and away from any friction while conditioning.  Another good thing for moisture leave in is vegetable glycerin the key is mixing it with water and putting it in your hair I like using it overnight it makes your hair sooo soft the next morning... if you dont use water with it, you hair wont absorb anything and itll just be sitting there greasy and gross (I learned the hard way).It also depends on what kind of hair you have naturally straight hair doesn't need as much moisture as curly hair.  Same with thick vs thin hair.

With the splits ends my hair was 8 inches long mostly damaged  so I feel your frustrations now it 17 inches long its been growing like crazy and its healthy but Im cutting a couple of inches off for the summer.  Stay away from heat for awhile that helps alot start researching and reading your ingredients on your hair products, If you stay away from drying ingredients like alcohol, sulfates etc. and stick to more natural hair products you should be fine.

hope this helps and good luck

if you have anymore hair questions dont hesitate to ask  I can talk about hair/skin care all day. :lol: 

2 people like this

Sounds like you need a deep conditioner try Apple cider vinegar rinse(3/4 water 1/4 acv) it works wonders and its natural, leave it on your hair for about 15 or 20 minutes and rinse it out that should restore some moisture also if you put oils on your ends with a little water over night you can seal in moisture and that also helps with hair growth since youre wanting to protect and retain your ends.  Castor oil is the best for that its thick and feels greasy at first but if you put it (small amount) on your ends with water over night your hair should absorb it. Anyway while doing this I recommend cutting off about an inch every 3 to 5 months depending on how bad it is thats how I got rid of my split ends since the castor oil strengthens the hair strand too, and  cotton pillow case can tear the hair strands causing split ends.  Also braids are your best friend at this point since you want to repair your hair and prevent further damage keeping a leave- conditioner on your hair and keeping it in braids keeps the hair up and away from any friction while conditioning.  Another good thing for moisture leave in is vegetable glycerin the key is mixing it with water and putting it in your hair I like using it overnight it makes your hair sooo soft the next morning... if you dont use water with it, you hair wont absorb anything and itll just be sitting there greasy and gross (I learned the hard way).It also depends on what kind of hair you have naturally straight hair doesn't need as much moisture as curly hair.  Same with thick vs thin hair.

With the splits ends my hair was 8 inches long mostly damaged  so I feel your frustrations now it 17 inches long its been growing like crazy and its healthy but Im cutting a couple of inches off for the summer.  Stay away from heat for awhile that helps alot start researching and reading your ingredients on your hair products, If you stay away from drying ingredients like alcohol, sulfates etc. and stick to more natural hair products you should be fine.

hope this helps and good luck

if you have anymore hair questions dont hesitate to ask  I can talk about hair/skin care all day. :lol: 

As someone who has really long hair, This is AMAZING advice :) 

@Justin_Justice I'm growing my hair out as well (to hip length because I serious when I say I want to look like a mermaid with legs :lol:).

Big thanks to Daydreamer and Tatyana.

I've never heard of some of those hair tips so I can't wait to try them.

@Tatyana, I think we have a similar hair length. My hair at the top of my head is over 17 inches but the back is only like 15 inches, and then the hair that frames my face is even shorter. I think its due to breakage. I'm so scared of my hair breaking off! :unsure:

Thanks Cass  :) I did alot of research in my hair breakage days 

@Tatyana, I think we have a similar hair length. My hair at the top of my head is over 17 inches but the back is only like 15 inches, and then the hair that frames my face is even shorter. I think its due to breakage. I'm so scared of my hair breaking off! :unsure:

Yes my hair 16 at the bottom and the top 18 I cut the top hair more since it grows so fast(too fast to handle at the moment :wacko:) .  Dont panic its easily fixable ^_^ Let me start by saying water (with some type of moisture conditioner)is a curlies best friend.

Now your hair could be breaking off for many reasons, it may be too dry(needs moisture) or it may be too weak (needs protein)  if you have one way more than the other it can bring breakage...since you hair is curly you can easily do a moisture/protein balance check. Stretch a strand of you hair (while wet) and if it bounces back when you let go your balanced...if its gummy/mushy and stretches  far then breaks off or slowly curls back up then you need more protein...if stretches and breaks instantly or (when dry) your hair feels brittle like straw you need more moisture.

I think since you say the frames of you face are shorter it could be from you pulling/brushing your hair back constantly? I recommend braiding it in the front instead, up dos, bobby pins and braids are your best friend if you want long hair. http://prom.about.com/od/promhair/ss/The-Best-Braided-Updos_7.htm this style is what I did, its good for protecting the front of your hair and you can use bobby pins to tuck in the back of your hair or make a ponytail braid in the back and tuck that in using bobbypins. (I stayed away from any elastic hair ties at this time sometimes those can pull out and break your hair too). Since I think you said your hair is thick your hair should react alot better than mine and you may need to "water" you hair more often but Im not exactly sure how your hair is now so that may be wrong. 

What I used to do is I would have my hair in a nice cute updo like the one above with a moisturizing conditioner for the week and leave it alone. The only time I would touch it was to put oil and water on my ends...then Id tuck my ends back up for the rest of the week, by the weekend I would do a Co-wash/ wash my hair and do it again for the next week.(leaving it down to have fun with every other weekend)  I stuck with that for 6 months and my hair grew in strong and healthy. Also how you wash your hair, how often and what you wash it with can be the issue as well. You can try a multivitamin too Spring valley hair skin and nails is good, it nourishes and strengthens you hair and nails and provides health from the inside drink lots of water along with that and it should help. Put away/protect the hair you want to grow, so if you braid the front and tuck away the back hairs that should help tremendously find a regimen and stick with it for 6 mos or even 3 mos but make sure you stick with it and your hair will definitely react well.  :) 

2 people like this

Ladies thank you all! :D

Now when my hair is longer it won't be such a mess! :D

1 person likes this

This is what works for me and it is a little more simple:

comb with a pick (and be gentle with your hair)
Don't wear a pony tail
Leave conditioner in for a minute or so before you rinse

Anything I can use to make my hair straight without damaging it? I have natural wavy/curly hair, and I don't want to use a straightener too much. I used to use l'oreal hot and straight, which was a serum that I'd apply to my hair, and then I would blowdry or straighten a little and it would work wonders. It was a pink bottle with a grey cap, but I can't find it in any stores anymore, any replacement?

Roller setting is really good for that (using the big rollers) it gives you volume and you can use aloe vera gel (or flax seed gel) and a light leave in conditioner there are many different ways of doing that and many different outcomes depending on how long/thick your hair is.  Also there is hair wrapping, use a serum and setting lotion, brush/comb your hair around your head wrap it over night and the next morning when you comb it out it will be silky straight (easier on short hair) with volume...both can be a pain in the butt to do honestly if youve never done it but when you get it right, it comes out beautifully and they are better for you hair you dont have to use heat in either situation. When it comes to serums I usually use John frieda Frizz ease but I honestly dont know if its the best since that and fantasia IC serum are the only ones Ive used and that was a long time ago. Those are the only non damaging straightening techniques I have up my sleeve.

Yes my hair 16 at the bottom and the top 18 I cut the top hair more since it grows so fast(too fast to handle at the moment :wacko:) .  Dont panic its easily fixable ^_^ Let me start by saying water (with some type of moisture conditioner)is a curlies best friend.

Now your hair could be breaking off for many reasons, it may be too dry(needs moisture) or it may be too weak (needs protein)  if you have one way more than the other it can bring breakage...since you hair is curly you can easily do a moisture/protein balance check. Stretch a strand of you hair (while wet) and if it bounces back when you let go your balanced...if its gummy/mushy and stretches  far then breaks off or slowly curls back up then you need more protein...if stretches and breaks instantly or (when dry) your hair feels brittle like straw you need more moisture.

I think since you say the frames of you face are shorter it could be from you pulling/brushing your hair back constantly? I recommend braiding it in the front instead, up dos, bobby pins and braids are your best friend if you want long hair. http://prom.about.com/od/promhair/ss/The-Best-Braided-Updos_7.htm this style is what I did, its good for protecting the front of your hair and you can use bobby pins to tuck in the back of your hair or make a ponytail braid in the back and tuck that in using bobbypins. (I stayed away from any elastic hair ties at this time sometimes those can pull out and break your hair too). Since I think you said your hair is thick your hair should react alot better than mine and you may need to "water" you hair more often but Im not exactly sure how your hair is now so that may be wrong. 

What I used to do is I would have my hair in a nice cute updo like the one above with a moisturizing conditioner for the week and leave it alone. The only time I would touch it was to put oil and water on my ends...then Id tuck my ends back up for the rest of the week, by the weekend I would do a Co-wash/ wash my hair and do it again for the next week.(leaving it down to have fun with every other weekend)  I stuck with that for 6 months and my hair grew in strong and healthy. Also how you wash your hair, how often and what you wash it with can be the issue as well. You can try a multivitamin too Spring valley hair skin and nails is good, it nourishes and strengthens you hair and nails and provides health from the inside drink lots of water along with that and it should help. Put away/protect the hair you want to grow, so if you braid the front and tuck away the back hairs that should help tremendously find a regimen and stick with it for 6 mos or even 3 mos but make sure you stick with it and your hair will definitely react well.  :) 

Thank you! Can't wait to implement these tips.

My hair is very stretchy, but it does break with enough force, but it also seems very dry and strawlike especially when it is dry with no product. .

Yes, I do pull and brush my hair back. I always put it in a bun or pineapple at night, and most days I wear a headband because my edges are so frizzy and doesn't want to lay down like the rest of my hair (also because that part is short).

I don't know how to braid :(. I try to learn but its just difficult for me. I know how to do a regular braid straight down but I can't do french braids and cornrows.

Yes my hair is thick. Its similar to this thickness and texture but black not blond

tumblr_med6e1GhWV1rxotmho1_500.jpg

I have never tried vitamins for hair. Do they have any side effects?

The ones I took didnt they have collegen support for skin too so its very healthy it also helped prevent breakouts.  Sounds like you need moisture I would try that first since its easier to deal with moisture overload than protein overload, protein overload is rough on the hair. So since your hair is like straw your hair is thirsty and needs moisture. what moisture products do you use? does anything have alcholol in it? you need products that will moisture curly hair the first ingredient should be water curly hair is like a flower it needs moisture moisture moisture. Shea moisture products are really good and affordable, its organic and smells good I you deep moisture mask as a leave in and my hair loves it. I also hear mixed chicks is a good line and miss jessies curly products but Ive never used those. There are videos on youtube that will teach you how to frenchbraid (I'd start out with it wet and detangled so its easier) if you can do a regular braid you should be able to do a french braid you'll get it its a little difficult at first but after that its easy.

I know her hair isnt curly but she shows you how to do it well and there are lots of other videos out there.

Once you learn Im sure you'll love it it was fun trying out different styles when I first learned how to french braid.

^Interesting. I think I will try the vitamins. Can you get them from regular places like Walmart, Target, Walgreens, or are they sold at specialty stores? I use mainly natural stuff for moisture like olive oil and coconut oil, but as of lately I have been using grapeseed oil. When I wear my hair curly or in a braid out or "bun out"-yeah I just made that up (I do this thing wear I put my hair into chinese buns/princess leia buns at night

street_fighter_the_legend_of_chun-li_143

and then take them out in the morning and my hair is like loose beachy waves

sock+bun+curls.jpg

i like to put Shea butter on my hair. It seems like it would be too heavy but it isn't for my hair since I do have thicker coarser hair than most and I feel like it also keeps my hair from tangling and even reverting in the humidity. I use Miss Jessies line of products. I want to try Mixed Chicks but I can't find it here, and I don't want to buy it online. Miss Jessies products smell good but meh, for the price its not anything amazing. The only things I use that have alcohol in it is heat protectants. I use John Freida Frizzease Heat Defeat and Treseme Heat Tamer. I used to have the Chi Iron Guard but I gave it away because of the smell (I'm not usually sensitive to smells but I hate men's cologne and thats exactly what it smelled like). Trust me, I have tried learning how to french braid because I see girls with those nice braided hairstyles and I hear that it protects your hair, I have watched tutorial after tutorial. I know how to do it, I just can't make it work with my hair. I think if I had hair like the girl in the video you posted I might be able to do it, but mine is a hassle.

Then twist it in the front instead of braiding http://www.polyvore.com/my_hair_creations_bohemian_twist/thing?id=48297987

If you like putting your hair up in a bun, its the only way to protect your front hair so itll stop breaking. You can even roll it in the front and pin it up (like I have in my photo) as long as the ends are tucked away.( I recommend rolling down not back like she did that way your not pull your front so far back) 

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/01/roll-and-side-bun-natural-hair-styles.html

Trust me Ive done all of these you dont have to have straight hair to do them, its fun doing all that stuff with hair this is bringing back memories  ^_^

Once you get the style keep it like that for the week and dont touch it unless you want to moisturize it. Oils by themself only seal in moisture in they dont really absorb in the hair so you need a good moisturizing leave in then put oil on your ends and breakage(to protect). yes the vitamins are at walmart, I believe target too and many other stores easily accessible. Try Shea moisture products if you like miss jessies they are at walgreens or target http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-organic-raw-shea-butter-deep-treatment-hair-masque/ID=prod6057762-product

it a great moisturizer and only $10 (all their products are) this is all I use it lasts me 6 mos for you since your hair is thicker it may last 4 mos depending on how you use it.  I use it as a leave in you dont have to rinse it out since its organic, if you want to go cheaper than that vegetable glycerin is great (I only use this in dry winter months since its hygroscopic) should be at any health food store.  Dampen your hair with water and then put the glycerine on your hair (what I do, the lazy way) or get a spray bottle and put 1 part glycerine 2 parts water. Its great for moisture too the only problem with this is since its hygroscopic (draws moisture(water) from its surrounding) your hair will revert in the humidity poof! so thats why I only use this in winter months.

I just thought I'd share this video for coarse curlies or all curlies she really knows what shes talking about for those that have trouble with their curly hair. And some things she says is great for straight hair too.

http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-3280207044.html?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

I love how often she mentions moisture/water it sounds repetitive lol but very true when it comes to curly hair, personally Ive never done the twirly thing (too much work) but she has good tips.

On 25.05.2013 at 10:41 PM, Selina said:

Anything I can use to make my hair straight without damaging it? I have natural wavy/curly hair, and I don't want to use a straightener too much. I used to use l'oreal hot and straight, which was a serum that I'd apply to my hair, and then I would blowdry or straighten a little and it would work wonders. It was a pink bottle with a grey cap, but I can't find it in any stores anymore, any replacement?

Personally, I have pretty long, thick hair so I'm looking for something that will heat up quickly, make my hair shiny (and not frizzy) and is easy to use all round.  I've done some Googling and found reviews on most popular Flat Irons , but still need some real recommendations based on the real experience. What would you recommend to go for?