luxorcairo

Who here aspires to marry a wealthy man?

83 posts in this topic

I wish I could "Like" HopefulPoet's response more than once. Maybe a few hundred times...

2 people like this

You're greedy and shallow. And also a hypocrite. You want a high-paying job, the independence of being a working woman, etc., but you still expect a provider for a husband?

That is the one of the worst features of modern feminism (sorry about going off-topic). And yes, you are a gold-digger.

Ummmhmmmmm

1 person likes this

I’m male but would like to chime in. I can understand a woman wanting a man to have a decent income (not necessarily wealthy). I think it strikes fear in the heart of a woman if she has to wonder how they’re going to buy food, or keep the lights/heat on. It relates to her need for security. I, too, have heard that money issues is a top reason for divorce. While I don’t know if it’s a lack of money that is the primary issue, or the way it’s spent, but I’ve headed off part of that by paying my home off 16 years early. I am 100% debt free. I don’t know if I will ever marry, but if I do, I would think that would be a huge relief for my bride, knowing we don’t have a mortgage or debt. I’d even go so far as to say I think the marriage would be more fun/enjoyable without the constant stress of finances. It would also give us the opportunity to bless others.

4 people like this

I can understand a woman wanting a man to have a decent income (not necessarily wealthy). I think it strikes fear in the heart of a woman if she has to wonder how they’re going to buy food, or keep the lights/heat on. It relates to her need for security. 

This hits the nail on the head.  For many women, it all comes back to that need for security and to know that the man will go out and work at a fast food restaurant or odd jobs if needed in order to support a family and keep food on the table and lights and heat on in the house.  I don't need a millionaire or a wealthy man, but I do want a man who is willing to work at keeping us financially stable.  I've worked for many years and will continue to work, but one day if I marry and have kids, I would like to have the freedom to stay home with them while my husband supports us.  I've supported myself and have a mortgage so I know what it takes and will support him in any way that I can and if that means I work if we fall on hard times, that's okay too.  And as Blind and Broken stated, it would be a wonderful opportunity to be debt free and to bless others.  

3 people like this

That's just a given but it doesn't really address why the woman's salary is irrelevant but the man's salary is scrutinized to whether it is good enough.

I still don't see why one half of this working household gets to sit back and judge whether they "approve" of the others career while theirs is beyond evaluation.

I don't think anyone has said that it is OK for women to judge mens' salaries, but a man can't have a woman's salary as a dealbreaker. I have no issue with a man not being on board with financially supporting a woman who wants to be a stay at home mom, or a man who just doesn't want to marry a woman in a substantially lower income bracket.

There are plenty of reasons to care about a potential spouse's income aside from the desire to be a house-spouse. Maybe neither member of the couple wants to be a stay-at-home parent, but they still want to have a family, and it's important to them to be able to afford good nannies, private schools, college tuition, etc. Maybe they want to live in a city with a high cost of living, or travel frequently. Maybe they just like the security in knowing that if they were to lose their job or get in an accident their spouse's income would easily be able to support two people, even if such a disastrous event is fairly unlikely. I don't think any of this stuff is unreasonable to take into consideration when choosing the person you're planning on building a life with.

1 person likes this

A job.  I would like him to have a job. 

One that's legal.

One with which he could support a family so we have options for childcare and education (homeschooling isn't my first choice, but I'm a teacher so I definitely could, and I want to choose whatever is best for each of our kids, based on their individual needs).
And preferably, one he feels fulfilled doing. :)

Sorry.  Women check out what's in a man's pants all the time.  If things don't stick out of his pants from the size of his body, it better be from the size of his wallet, at least...

Let's be honest.  Once couples start making babies, there is rarely a couple alive that doesn't want what's best for their kids.  It seems that if given two options in a man where everything is equal between then except their income, then a woman will have a preference for higher income.  I mean really.  A part of a man even goes into what created his income in the first place, like all that hard work he put into it, for example.

I think it also benefits MEN to realize these things by actually answering questions of this nature when they HAVE favorable traits.  Are you a man that makes a lot of money?  Then how would YOU answer the question?  It is always easier to admit a "hard truth" in life when somebody can deliver...

Also, I wouldn't mind if a woman liked a man with a large income as long as she could prove she had what it took to earn it for herself.  With all the women's lib. (which I support personally for a multitude of reasons, and not necessarily feminism) out there, I would be more accepting of a woman who wants a large income man if she could prove she could earn a large income of her own.  Hell, in a waiting community like this one; how much free time does one have to go after her hopes and dreams as a waiter anyways?  She should work on her career if she doesn't have sexual burdens to worry about.  And, that's what women's lib. has always been about: choices...

It is not the money, per se.  It is how one acquires it, and how someone uses it...