luxorcairo

Would you be willing to blend into new cultural traditions with your h/w?

10 posts in this topic

This may sound confusing, but if your relationship with you SO is intercultural and you marry them, would you be willing to adapt to the culture? Ex. Chinese and western traditions?

It depends on the traditions. If a tradition was that the wife should never work outside the home and do all the cooking and cleaning, no way in hell would I blend into that aspect of the culture. There are certain aspects of all cultures that I love - I love the politeness of the Asian culture and the value of history and education, but I love Western culture's value of individual independence and freedom. I couldn't assimilate into another culture, because there are too many things I love about Western culture - how independence is incredibly important, even from your family, equal rights for both genders, and the abolishing of forcing gender roles. I also love Western music (entertainment in general.) I think because I have learned so much about the Japanese culture at a very young age, I would not find it so foreign and strange. I really like certain parts of it (like how it values cuteness, the "kawaii culture.") But ultimately I would like to keep my Western culture. It is not perfect, but no culture is.

1 person likes this

Well I am the most culturally white Chinese dude you'll ever meet. If I marry a white girl, I will already feel at home. Lol.

If it was anyone else I would probably blend our two cultures together.

2 people like this

Generally speak I believe all serious relationships not just intercultural ones require blending of beliefs, traditions , and lifestyles. That is part of two becoming one. That said it would depend on the specific tradition. For example if the tradition was for me as a woman to wear nothing but skirts and dresses I could not do that. However I don't think I would become seriously involved with a guy that felt that way.

2 people like this

Well I really wouldn't want to have to adopt a completely new culture so I'm not sure... Like I would still marry them but I really don't want to adopt a new culture, I can't explain this very well without sounding like I'm saying I won't marry someone who wants to change or is interested in othe or cultures.

I don't see why not :wacko:

I don't like everything about every culture (even when it comes to my own cultures) but I think that every culture has beauty and certain things I could see myself appropriating into my life (if I haven't already because I draw inspiration and ideas and values from different cultures on my own accord anyway).

I would say it depends on what those traditions might be.   I like cultural diversity, but I'm not going to embrace something that would go against my religious beliefs.   Generally, I would be glad to embrace differences, to talk about them, etc....but yeah....there are boundaries that I do have.

Ha ha. i thought "Homework" straight away too. High five.

Cultural differences yes be ok flexing,having an open mind with as long as it was not too diverse. Eg I had to grow hair lol.

In fact it could lead to some interesting discussion.

Differences on WTM principles is the hardest one in the world for me im afraid one thats not going to go away boooooo.

But I have my mates on here for inspiration however and a yacht who loves and looks after me lol lol lol so lifes v v cool.

Another weekend over chaps hope it was all good for you. Col.

Well, I come from a very "white" family, and my husband's entire family is Mexican (I don't say this to be prejudice, but his entire family came from Mexico, and it's the cultural they identify with), and we really haven't had many problems.  A woman's "place" is "submissive" to the man in his family, but the man is expected to also treat his wife like a queen.  We both come from homes with very strong family values, but practiced in different ways.  His family is more in need of financial support (both of his parents are very ill and can't work) while my mother is retired and surviving just fine off of her pensions and Social Security checks.  His uncle is staying with us in our tiny house because his wife recently decided to divorce him (after more than 20 years!) and we were the only family that had somewhere for him to stay.

For me I don't see any of these things as a problem because we wouldn't have gotten married if we didn't think we could work through anything together.  Sure it can have a few downsides, but we're a match so what else could possibly matter?

1 person likes this