luxorcairo

Would you marry someone who isnt your faith, but is WTM?

48 posts in this topic

Id have a really really rough time marrying a non believer...I want to be able to see my love in heaven with me...just thinking about them not makes me sad....

I would since I am really open to it. However it has caused friction with other people when I have tried dating, usually them lying to me, or being extremely disliked by their parents or friends to an insane extent which in term seems to influence them heavily. I only see this in Christians though, so as a result, I tend to avoid Christians because I have had nothing but negative experiences with them. Does that mean all of them are bad? No, of course not, but since I seem to only attract the zealots, I'd rather just avoid wasting not only my time but theirs as well. ;)

1 person likes this

derinately not. my faith is the most important thing in my life, i wouldnt compromise it for anyone in this whole world. i wouldnt even think about getting serious with someone who isnt of my faith.

1 person likes this

My answer, simply is yes.

I refuse to let some religious rules tell me what to think. I'm Christian and of course I have preferences like anyone else. A fellow Christian woman would be ideal, but I feel like God sometimes calls us to go against the norm and If I fall in love with an Atheist, Agnostic, or something else I will be willing to marry her.

Dear future Wife, I will let nothing come between us. My love for you is stronger than any religious or traditional rules. When I say you come first, I truly mean it. I love you and you love me. It's about us. Not religion, not who believes what. We love each other and that's the most important part. As long as we have that love, we'll stay married till the end of all time. 

2 people like this

I'm an atheist so I don't have a religion but I wouldn't mind marrying someone who has one if they are moderate and wouldn't expect me to convert to raise future children only in their religion.

1 person likes this

My answer, simply is yes.

I refuse to let some religious rules tell me what to think. I'm Christian and of course I have preferences like anyone else. A fellow Christian woman would be ideal, but I feel like God sometimes calls us to go against the norm and If I fall in love with an Atheist, Agnostic, or something else I will be willing to marry her.

but God also tells us not to be unequally yoked and to me, I will love who He wants me to love not just who I want.
6 people like this

but God also tells us not to be unequally yoked and to me, I will love who He wants me to love not just who I want.

It's not a sin to be unequally yoked. If I love Her I will love her the way God would wants me to love her. If she just happens to be a non-believer then so be it. Who knows maybe years of her seeing me pray and love her in a selfless way may convince her to consider that God is real,

2 people like this

Yes and as a Hindu I don't push my beliefs in to any non Hindu . I wouldn't require converting to Hinduism

3 people like this

No I wouldn't. There are too many things I stand firm on and religion is a touchy subject even amongst those who practice true tolerance.

3 people like this

I couldn't marry some one who was not my religion. For one thing I am planning to be a missionary so my faith  is a gigantic part of my life. I want to be able to discuss those important areas and topics with my future husband and if he were of a different religion I wouldn't be able to. In the bible God tells us not to because he knows neither one of us would be truly happy or compatible.

1 person likes this

We have to share the same faith; as long as they have an intense love and belief in God, and as long as they are willing to make an effort to accept Christ (something I struggle with myself) then it doesn't matter to me what they choose to label themselves as. :>

1 person likes this

On 24/04/2013 at 6:50 AM, NicoleNova said:

I would like to marry someone who is of the Restoration faith but they are a rare breed of men. I know of many because I live in an area where the faith congregated but to find a single one, who gets along with me, makes me laugh, who I am attracted to and who is attracted to me, etc is going to be extra difficult and I've already narrowed down my search as it is with my deal breakers so I am open to any Christian but I always say that God knows best so I'll leave it to him. I'm not going to quit looking for a Restoration guy but if God brings me someone else and lets me know he is the one for me, that's how it shall be. God knows the future and I do not. He will know what will work best. :)

Sooo...I'm curious :D

Is your fiancé of Restoration faith , if I may ask? ^_^

If that person isn't a Christian I wouldn't date them - let alone marry them.

That's one of the things I would find attractive about them in the first place, what is their relationship with God like and If they can't even tick such a fundamental box it will never happen :mellow:

2 people like this

My own faith is in constant flux these days, so I'd welcome anyone so long as 1) they believe in God, 2) they do not have a materialist understanding of the universe, and, 3) they are open-minded to and interested in different ideas. 

Maybe, it depends on how compatible he is with me otherwise. I have requirements in a spouse that are way more important than religion, and I'd rather date/marry a non-religious guy that had all my other requirements than date/marry a religious guy that only had some or even none of my important requirements. I might end up dating/marrying a non-religious guy anyway cause religious guys are kinda unappealing to me nowadays. Besides, most religious guys wouldn't want to be in a relationship with me anyway because I wouldn't be religious enough for them. 

I'm somewhat open to it, to an extent. The girl I'm hoping to marry someday is nominally Christian, but she has extensive occult experience, as much to rival mine. The girl I was after before her is an Umbandist with some occult experience and looking to expand it. I've been engaged before, and the girl in question is a pantheist. We made it work just fine, and that difference never got in the way. I'm pretty okay with nominal difference in religion, as long as other important things are present.

Well, I'm Christian, but do not claim a specific religion. Nor do I attend church regularly. For me, I would be ok if they were like me, with a strong faith in God like me, or if they practice a specific Christian religion. I'd even consider attending church with them as long as they don't expect me to convert, as I do not believe any one religion is absolutely correct and would feel a disconnect of my faith by practicing something I can't put my whole faith into. Like I said, hour, any Christian faith, sure. The main thing I need to have in common is a strong faith in God.

Given how many people share my tradition, I'll probably have to :lol:

In all seriousness, I would marry someone of any faith or non-faith so long as they met two criteria: 1. their beliefs/values stem from a similar place as mine - that is, being the best person you can be through compassion, tolerance, piety towards their God(s) (if religious) and showing consideration for all life; 2. they respect my beliefs and tradition. I wouldn't marry someone who expects only their beliefs to be practised openly in the household. It should be a fair deal - the children get exposed to both traditions, and when they're old enough they decide for themselves. Criteria 1 is important because no matter what they choose, they should be raised first and foremost as good people. I'd much rather have kind, discerning Christian/Muslim/Jewish/other children than selfish, disrespectful Hellenic ones.

So yes, I would marry someone of a different faith so long as our other beliefs line up.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, CrystalFaerie said:

Given how many people share my tradition, I'll probably have to

I had the same mentality about this, myself. For us polytheists, it seems to be quite easy to accommodate, though. During the conversion period in Northern Europe, it was common simply to add a Christian statue to the altar along with the other gods, so that it was one more god to be held in the home. I see absolutely no problem with this kind of accommodation in my home, as long as there is no expectation that I must give any less attention to my gods or any attention to hers.

1 person likes this

On 6/1/2017 at 8:24 AM, BlackRose said:

If that person isn't a Christian I wouldn't date them - let alone marry them.

That's one of the things I would find attractive about them in the first place, what is their relationship with God like and If they can't even tick such a fundamental box it will never happen :mellow:

S a m e.

1 person likes this

It's a tough topic... all of you have a right to your personal beliefs, and you shouldn't change them for anyone. I admire the dedication you all have.

In my case, I was raised to be religious, but I'm not very religious. I'm not agnostic or an atheist, I just don't think or do much about it. I absolutely believe in God, an afterlife, and have morals/values that have been influenced by religion. But I guess you could say my morals are a bit loosely defined. In my mind, as long as I'm offering kindness, showing appreciation, giving back to the world whenever I can and that I'm not hurting anybody, then I'm not doing anything wrong.

Because I'm not particularly tied to my own, I would be willing to marry a woman of another faith. I can't say I would convert though, but that's mostly because I know I wouldn't take it to heart as seriously as I should, and that it would honestly make no difference to me. Don't like the idea of being forced to convert either. What I would do though, is fully support her faith. I'd learn what I can about it. I don't really have any qualms about what faith my children are either, so that's no roadblock to me.

When I do marry, I want it to be because I want to be with this particular woman for the rest of my life. She would be the sole reason for my devotion to her. As such, it's much more important to me that I'm compatible with her on a more personal level. I want to love her for who she is; what she is a part of doesn't necessarily influence that. It leans more towards romance than faith, I know, but that's just how I feel about it.

Don't get me wrong though, there is nothing wrong with only wanting to be with someone who is part of your faith. That's honestly a pretty good idea because it's probably more likely for you to be compatible. I am in no way judging you or condemning that desire. Obviously we all have preferences, some of which are so vital that having them missing could be dealbreakers, and that's completely fine. Just that I can only present my perspective as someone who isn't strongly in tune with my faith.

For me it's enough for her to just simply be another waiter whose beliefs are in line with mine. Which is not really hard to do, despite any religious disparities. Of course, those things really just serve as a foundation. What truly matters is who she is as a person, said foundation merely lays the grounds for me to allow my interest in her. But that is the essence of dealmakers/breakers, isn't it? While some might argue that they can get in the way of love, you still have to be careful about it. They're meant to protect you from possible future complications. And you really don't want to be playing the lottery when it comes to finding love.

That said, I implore all of you to stick to your guns. You have them for a reason. Some of you might think that my lack of conviction and lax attitude about it is regrettable, and that's perfectly okay. We all come from different walks of life, and all of our experiences have defined us in different ways. It's very interesting to see many new perspectives.

1 person likes this