luxorcairo

Going to church after the wedding night?

14 posts in this topic

This isnt for christians or catholics its for anyone who attends a temple/mosque/church or anything similar. Would you be willing to go after your wedding night? Just a random question. :)

If my wedding was Saturday, something tells me I might need to sleep in a bit on Sunday morning...

Plus, as I'd be on my honeymoon and traveling, I'd be away from my church as it is.

But I am sure that I will be doing a lot of thanking God over the course of my honeymoon!

This all being said, if it was really important to my husband, we could go. We would just need to find a local church with a really late start time. And, you know, clothe ourselves. And stop making out. And actually leave the hotel room.

2 people like this

Well, I'm Catholic, but I'll just answer anyway for the sake of it :)

Yeah, I'll definitely be going to Mass during my honeymoon. I'm sure it'll be difficult for my husband and me to drag ourselves out of bed, but we'll just have to do it. We can always go back to the hotel afterwards...

Also, if we're honeymooning in Paris, then we can go to Mass at the Sacre Coeur or Notre Dame, which will be very nice...

xxx

Well, I'm Catholic, but I'll just answer anyway for the sake of it :)

Yeah, I'll definitely be going to Mass during my honeymoon. I'm sure it'll be difficult for my husband and me to drag ourselves out of bed, but we'll just have to do it. We can always go back to the hotel afterwards...

Also, if we're honeymooning in Paris, then we can go to Mass at the Sacre Coeur or Notre Dame, which will be very nice...

xxx

If i know the people at the church, i wouldn't go. Especially if they went to my wedding because they know what we did the night before! I heard a story and this woman's husband was getting high fives and questioned about the wedding night. No thank you!

Anytime during the honeymoon?  A resounding NO!  That is time that would belong solely to my wife and I, not anyone else -- certainly not an institution or an organization.

I heard a story and this woman's husband was getting high fives and questioned about the wedding night. No thank you!

That is really quite unclassy -- both on the part of those asking questions and on the part of the groom for indulging and participating in that type of immaturity.

I'm a pretty serious dude.  I can't imagine anyone coming up to me and being brave enough/stupid enough to ask me for details about my wedding night.  If by some rare chance someone did exhibit such poor taste and unsound reasoning, I would make sure that they lost interest in the matter in short order.

Any hands held up for a silly little "high-five" would be met with a very unfriendly, unsettling gaze and, perhaps, me physically moving their upheld hand into a shaking position before I gave it a short, firm shake -- just as a matter of being generously courteous, despite their idiotic behaviour.  Any questions would be met with silence and the same discouraging stare and/or me posing a suggestion such as this to them:

"I've got a better idea.  Why don't you give the paster and church elders a recounting of the thoughts you were having the last time you lusted after a woman that you had no right to?"  Or, I would firmly indicate to them that it's none of their business.  My exact response would depend on just exactly how displeased I felt at the lack of respect exhibited in regards to the seriousness and sacredness of marriage, to my wife, and to myself.

I think I could diffuse a smarmy situation like that before it got off the ground.

2 people like this

While there are many passionate religious people on here I think if you just got married in a religious ceremony, I would believe you have honored God enough that He may grant you an amnesty to sleep in the Sunday after your wedding. Sunday is a "day of rest," after all.

But seriously, most wedding days are 18 hour days. If you wake up at 6:00AM and leave your reception at Midnight, that is 18 hours. If you are someone who is not tired after that many hours, you may be a robot. Not to mention your lack of sleep possibly from anxiety or excitement, added to your very hectic schedule during the day, including not potentially have a chance to eat, and dancing/ drinking alcohol (if you have that at your wedding) = Your gonna be freakin' tired. 

Sleep in the day after, seriously. However, if you like me, when I get tired, I howl-snore. So I may not get to sleep if i keep my new wife up... LOL

3 people like this

I would want to go on my vacation! I already honored god for the week by remaining pure lol.

1 person likes this

I don't think you have to go to church every Sunday. Church is great but my relationship with God isn't designated for that building alone.  I will most likely not be going to church  for a little while after my wedding, especially if we can afford a honeymoon. I will be remembering God during that time and thanking him profoundly but we do not need to go to church to do such things. 

2 people like this

I agree totally with Nicole and WW. Church is not a place or an institution one must attend out of obligatory service instead you should attend with an open heart out of desire. I will agree with Big Mat and say that I won't be going after my wedding. If it happened it was a Sunday the day after I might take a moment to join my wife in a thankful prayer and that would in essence to me be church for as it is written 'where two are gathered in prayer there is the spirit also.' Though if it slipped my mind I am sure there will be plenty of heavenly exaltations coming from the bedroom. ;) ....hehe...just sayin

2 people like this

It depends. I don't think I'd get married on a Saturday, and actually, I think I want to be married on a Sunday. I'd love to have a morning (or better yet, sunrise!) wedding service--at church, of course. If I'm already pastoring to a congregation, I would almost certainly go to church during my honeymoon, unless I could take time off. If I'm not yet pastoring to a congregation (if I'm still in seminary when I get married), I guess it depends!  :)

I don't think you have to go to church every Sunday. Church is great but my relationship with God isn't designated for that building alone.  I will most likely not be going to church  for a little while after my wedding, especially if we can afford a honeymoon. I will be remembering God during that time and thanking him profoundly but we do not need to go to church to do such things. 

Further to what NicoleNova says here "Church is a group of people coming together rather than a building with a sign on it." As I said before, Sleep in, God will be fine with it.

2 people like this

To be honest, I never really thought about this! I wouldn't worry about it being awkward if I went to Mass at home. My parish is huge, but if it were smaller I could see it being a little weird. I'd definitely go to Mass on my honeymoon! I think it would be really special to go together on a honeymoon for the first time as a newly married couple.

Hmmm....I've already sort of answered this in another thread.  I'm going to assume that the original post was meant to say, "this isn't just for Christians or Catholics...."

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry -- just ignore this post.

I am a Christian, and I do go to church regularly.   Even though I might be tired, I think it would be nice to go to church with my husband after the wedding, regardless of whether or not it was my home church.   It would start a good precendent to the marriage, showing that my husband and I honored God, and that we loved Him more than we loved each other.  

However, the circumstances might not make it possible to go to church -- perhaps neither of us slept at all, or we woke up late, or we were somewhere that we couldn't get to a church easily, or whatever.....if that were the case, then I would want to worship God together in some way, taking an hour or more to truly dedicate our marriage to God....

Those are just my thoughts. 

I'm sure this would be something that my husband and I would discuss beforehand.   If he was adamentaly opposed to going to church right after the wedding, then we wouldn't go.  However, I would want to go with him to church every Sunday that we could go following the honeymoon.