luxorcairo

Competing for betrothal?

15 posts in this topic

I watched the disney movie Brave, and it got menthinking: in ancient and medieval times, did young men compete for the hearts of women? I mean phyiscally wise, like maybe archery or wrestling. Maybe the lords or kings friends would send their eldest son to play these games and whoever won would marry her? Does anyone know if that really happened?

Yes they used to compete physically like that, some places it's still like that, and in some cultures they would fight to the death!

If so I'm glad we don't do that anymore because I would never get married. Lol I'm so scrawny and weak that i would lose every time and possibly get killed before my opponent broke a sweat. Physically, I am worse than a beta male.

1 person likes this

In Brave, she had 3 different guys competing to marry her. Hey, I'd settle for just one...

xxx

3 people like this

If so I'm glad we don't do that anymore because I would never get married. Lol I'm so scrawny and weak that i would lose every time and possibly get killed before my opponent broke a sweat. Physically, I am worse than a beta male.

I honestly would like the attention lol. especially if i could pick the sport...archery just because its more fair than swimming or strength because getting the arrow on the target...you just need luck and aim!

In Brave, she had 3 different guys competing to marry her. Hey, I'd settle for just one...

xxx

I wouldn't mind haha :)

I honestly would like the attention lol. especially if i could pick the sport...archery just because its more fair than swimming or strength because getting the arrow on the target...you just need luck and aim!

No luck, it's all skill.

Simple market concepts. Scarcity creates higher demand, increased competition for finite resources. Competition forces people to step up their game and be better then the other guy, much like AT&T and Verizon still compete for your phone service.

Our supply curve has definitely expanded so now we don't have as much need for competition.

And I agree, I'd hate the idea of a woman whose affections would go to the highest bidder or person with most prowess.

Even if I might win that competition. :D

Now the contest for us today is seeing who's willing to fight their own desires in order to WTM :)

1 person likes this

Simple market concepts. Scarcity creates higher demand, increased competition for finite resources. Competition forces people to step up their game and be better then the other guy, much like AT&T and Verizon still compete for your phone service.

Our supply curve has definitely expanded so now we don't have as much need for competition.

And I agree, I'd hate the idea of a woman whose affections would go to the highest bidder or person with most prowess.

Even if I might win that competition. :D

I would enjoy the attention. In real life, no boys pay much attention to me so to see a bunch of guys fighting to win me would be flattering :)

Too bad the strongest and most skilled (while impressive) isn't necessarily husband material. :blink:

Too bad the strongest and most skilled (while impressive) isn't necessarily husband material. :blink:

Well back then i bet not many were husband material! Lol

Well back then i bet not many were husband material! Lol

I bet you'd be surprised.  Who writes history about wonderful husbands and fathers?  Who makes movies about them? Who highlights them in the media?  No one.

1 person likes this

Vince just enter the chess section to win over the brainy girls...cmon man