Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest markb4

What type of wedding do you want?

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I know most of us would just be happy to get married. But, what type of wedding would you all want? Big one of small one? Intimate family and friends only or everybody u've ever known in your life? Catered food or cooked food? You and your fiancee planning everything or your parents planning it or both of your whole families planning it? Etc? This should get some interesting answers.

I know most of us would just be happy to get married.

Yeah this the first thing I thought haha.

Other than that, I've never really thought about it. I just assume leave it up to the Missus.

My only thing is that I definitely want to write our own vows. That's always the part I look forward to at weddings, because that's when you as an audience member get to glimpse the nature of the love that the couple has for each other. But none of my friends have done their own vows yet! So annoying.

Hey Mike! :)

I think it's great that you want to write your own vows, but please don't hate on people who want to use the usual "for better or worse" vows! When I think about my own wedding, all I dream about is my fiance and I saying the "for better or worse" vows to each other...

I have no idea. I suppose the details will be worked out when I meet the other person. I will say lately, I've been thinking an intimate backyard wedding in the fall would be nice.

I am a fan of personal touches such as writing your own vows, though I might be shy about saying my thoughts out to everyone.

Not sure if it will happen at my future wedding, but I attended a wedding where the experienced couples , those married for years, spoke words of wisdom to the new couple not preachy or anything it was quite nice.

I dream about is my fiance and I saying the "for better or worse" vows to each other...

Oh wait...I like those too. Can you not have both? I didn't know it was an either/or thing. I just thought it was an additional part like "now the couple reads sappy notes that they've written to eachother". And THEN they do the "for better or worse" thing. Well hell. Now I don't know what I want. :blink:

I attended a wedding where the experienced couples , those married for years, spoke words of wisdom to the new couple not preachy or anything it was quite nice.

That's awesome!

Mike,

I'm sure you can do both! :)

I assumed that you wanted to write your own vows INSTEAD of the traditional ones (which is totally fine!) and that you thought that people who went with the traditional ones instead of coming up with their own were boring/lazy. Sorry! :P

But doing both sounds great! :D

people who went with the traditional ones instead of coming up with their own were boring/lazy

Haha no, not boring/lazy. Actually, I thought worse things than that. Like "Oh, I guess they don't love eachother enough." I make some pretty stupid assumptions when I'm on the outside looking in.

I totally didn't think about it from "maybe she wants a traditional wedding" perspective. That makes perfect sense.

I think moves and TV had me conditioned to expect personal vows, so when I didn't see them I was like "something's lacking."

Now that I consider it for myself, I guess it would be kind of awkward to bear your soul in front of 150 people.

But when I'm one of those 150 people, I'm thinking "Bear your soul! Give me my voyeuristic fix!" :lol:

Actually, I thought worse things than that. Like "Oh, I guess they don't love eachother enough." I make some pretty stupid assumptions when I'm on the outside looking in.

I totally didn't think about it from "maybe she wants a traditional wedding" perspective. That makes perfect sense.

Also, if you want to get married in the Catholic Church (might be the same for other churches, I don't know...), you're not allowed to write your own vows, because you have to make sure in the vows you take that you're agreeing to all the conditions of marriage (staying together till death does you part, in sickness and in health, good times and in bad, etc.).

Oh, and before you have the "I do's", you also have to agree to three other conditions: that you're getting married of your own free will, that you'll honour each other as husband and wife for the rest of your lives, and (if you're of child-bearing age when you get married) that you'll accept any children God might give you and bring them up to follow Him.

*sigh* Personally, I love the whole "traditional" vows! (so beautiful) So I don't think I'd want to write my own vows even if I could.

Anyway, as for the wedding itself, I'd want a traditional ceremony, in a pretty little church, with all of my friends and family. And I'd want a white dress. And maybe roses. Perhaps a white, pink and light-blue colour scheme. And a few of my best friends as bridesmaids. Basically, very traditional. I don't know what I'd have at the reception...maybe I'll just let him choose what we do...

xxx

P.S. Ooh, maybe I'll make my husband wear a kilt...

Um, I think I might be out on a limb with this, but here goes... I've always wanted to elope! Seriously, no wedding for me-- Or else a really tiny one with a couple witnesses and that's it. My parents would kill me... but if it were up to me, I'd take all that money and go somewhere awesome and far away for an extended honeymoon. :lol:

Um, I think I might be out on a limb with this, but here goes... I've always wanted to elope! Seriously, no wedding for me-- Or else a really tiny one with a couple witnesses and that's it. My parents would kill me... but if it were up to me, I'd take all that money and go somewhere awesome and far away for an extended honeymoon. :lol:

Ooh, nice: the romantic rebel ;) !

this is an easy question: I've got it all planned! lol...

small private wedding- my immediate family, maybe one close friend or relative, and his immediate family and if he chooses to invite 1-3 extra people and I want it to be outdoors. I'm a very private, low-key kind of person and I don't like scenes or people all staring at me. I would want it to be very personal and private because I want our relationship between him and I, not the whole world. To me, it preserves the beauty of a relationship by sharing it only with very few and close people to me♥

Claire! I love that and I def. agree!!! :D... minus the eloping but everything else sounds cool!

hmm i have thought about. Infact in 8th grade we had to do a project on it and again in i think 11th grade. I'm not really sure how it will work out but, i diffenately what either a inside church or outide church wedding. I want a church involved cause even though I'm a certian religion I want to show respect for my christian family and the christian side of me :)

OHG that sounds so amazing, but I would let my fiancé plan her dream wedding as I don't care how I get married as to me, just the fact that I'm marrying the love of my life would be enough for me.

I definately want to be part of planning and organising the wedding though.

-Aaron

Well hopefully I'll make it to that day and honestly as long as I was marrying the love of my life I really wouldn't care...but since you asked lol I've gone to a small little country church since I was about 5 and I've always thought it would be really cool to be married there!

The towel is a concern I would have, as one person said, what if it doesn't match their bathroom? I agree that edible favors are great. When is your wedding? If it's in the fall, as mine will be in October 2012, candy apples come in many varieties, it's hard not to love them though they're horrible for you, and they aren't expensive. Actuallly, candy apples work for anytime of year. Or what's cute-a little 'camping kit' with chocolate, marshmellows, and graham crackers to make s'mores, plus a packet of hot chocolate. My fiance and I are probably gooing to do a coffee mug with a packet of tea and/or coffee, and a bookmark-the kids will gets hotchocolate, a kid type mug, and either a bookmark or maybe a candy apple or one of those big round lollipops. It reflects who we are and our interests. We both love books and bookstores and coffee and tea and all that, plus it's something that can be personalized or represent the season your wedding is in, or have an inspirational saying on it, and it'll be used. Plus it's small and not too pricey.

Barbie dolls are cute, and you can even get them bride ones, but again, edible for kids is especially appreciated.