Leonidas

Who did you want to be when you grew up?

30 posts in this topic

When I was 5, I wanted to be the green power ranger from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I know it sounds ridiculous but they were pretty awesome at the time and no kid in the neighborhood didn't  want to be like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers  :)

When you were a kid, what was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?

3 people like this

What a great question ^_^
No, it's not ridiculous, I wanted to be the pink power ranger :D 
There were a lot of other things I wanted to be when I was younger. An astronaut, a marine biologist, a stewardess, a teacher, the president, a chef, a make up artist, a hair stylist, a psychologist, a dentist, etc.
So many things. The ones I listed are from when I was I don't know how old (probably 2-3) till I got older and older lol. 

1 person likes this

As far as characters, I wanted to be Princess Leia! My brother and I would play Star Wars outside all the time. We had light sabers, designated places around the yard as Star Wars places (the bushes were Tatooine), and at point our Golden Retriever answered to Chewbacca. Good times!

For a career, I first wanted to be a vet because I thought all you did was play with the animals. Once I realized you didn't, I wanted to be a teacher.

I always wanted to be a character from Digimon lol. My friends would always pick the "pretty" characters, which left me with the option of the not so smart ones.

For the longest time I wanted to be a singer/dancer. Everyday my friends and I would sing and dance in my back yard until I realised at the age of 16 that I couldn't carry a tune. I even took vocal class that year at my highschool which is too embarassing to think about.

Wanted and still want to be an actress but was too scared to take that risk. 

I never had anyone I specifically wanted to be, I've always wanted to be my own hero and do things I could be proud of, whether I could be saving lives or helping protect them.

Well having superpowers was always on my mind but what I realistically wanted to be was a professional baseball player. It was the first thing I really remember wanting to be (played baseball for almost as long as I can remember). Wish that had happened so I could personally fund a WTM conference  :lol:

Pre-School - A palaeontologist (because Jurassic Park just came out) 

High School - An events coordinator

Now - Working in a Festival setting in a Non-Profit organization.

i wanted to be a paleoentalogist, then a lawyers, then a herpatologist, then a pastor hahaha, thats about it

I find that our choices change over time, naturally, and they sometimes serendipity plays a role as well. I like to volunteer so I started to do a lot of it and worked really hard and was noticed by management. Because of this I have been offered jobs in non-profit because of my work ethic and experience.

Similarly, my mom was a social worker starting out and then 30 years went by and she is still doing it, and still loving it. I want to have a job that I will love 30 years from now more than anything.

Similarly, my mom was a social worker starting out and then 30 years went by and she is still doing it, and still loving it. I want to have a job that I will love 30 years from now more than anything.

You're mom is an awesome woman! ;)

2 people like this

When I was little I wanted to be Darth Vader when I grew up, still kinda do. But realistically I will probably be a paleontologist, historian, or a   process improvement director. 

Pre-School - A palaeontologist (because Jurassic Park just came out) 

A bit similar to that (but only a bit), I wanted to be.....a velociraptor.

I was a strange child. I quickly realized this was an impossibility, and proceeded to jump from teacher to writer to biologist to doctor back to writer until I felt the call to ministry, so I'm going to be a pastor  ^_^

1 person likes this

Earlier elementary school days:  A number of super heroes.  Luke Skywalker, with one exception: I wouldn't be related to Princess Leia so that she could be my girlfriend.  Yea, I had it bad for the Princess in my younger years.

I lost that business of wanting to be someone else pretty early in life though.  I've pretty much always wanted to be my own person that incorporated traits of others that I liked.

The summer of the fifth grade I decided I would write my own science fiction screenplay.  I had convinced my mother to drive me to the nearest town with a TV station when I finished it to see if they would be interested in helping me produce it.  I was young and undisciplined so I spent most of the summer acting it out, either by myself or with the help of my litttle brothers, instead of writing it.

Sixth grade:  I discovered the wonderful world of reading and writing fiction.  Suddenly I wanted to be a fiction writer.  I still have the first bit of fiction I ever wrote that year.  I scratched it out on wide rule notebook paper -- ten handwritten pages, front and back.

Middle school:  Fiction writer, aeronautical engineeer.

High school:  Fiction writer, bladesmith, knife designer, architect, entrepenuer.

Early adulthood:  Fiction writer, bladesmith, armorer.

Rest of adulthood:  I fell in love with God at the age of 22.  From then on I have wanted to be a Christian inspirational writer and, perhaps, if I feel up to it, have a ministry of some sort to go along with my books.  I've encountered setbacks like no one would believe but, I'm still hammering away at it.  I have four books and as many book ideas that are all in various stages of development.  One book is mighty close to being finished.

I wanted to be a veterinarian from the time I was 3 years old and my dalmation had to get a broken leg fixed. Emergency Vets was my go to show when I was home sick as a kid. I held onto that idea all  the way until my sophomore year of college when I realized that it would be more practical to go to medical school instead since I am pretty much allergic to nature and all animals except horses, cows, and sheep. lol. At least I still get to do something medically related, I've always been a discovery fit and health channel junky.

1 person likes this

A bit similar to that (but only a bit), I wanted to be.....a velociraptor.

I was a strange child. I quickly realized this was an impossibility, and proceeded to jump from teacher to writer to biologist to doctor back to writer until I felt the call to ministry, so I'm going to be a pastor  ^_^

See the funny thing about Velociraptor is they are not the correct dinosaur in the fossil record LOL. The actual veloicraptor was less than 2 feet tall, had a very long fat tail and it was feathered. The actual dinosaur they use is called a Deinonychus. It has the similar build and body type of the one in the movies. However, you have to have a bad ass dinosaur so I see why they did it. But yeah, doesn't exist.

Hmm...

Well, when I was about 5, I wanted to be a writer. Then I changed my mind, and wanted to be a teacher. Then I changed my mind again, and wanted to be a writer again.

Then I started high school, and wanted to be a singer. Then I wanted to be a graphic designer. Then I wanted to be a singer again. Then I wanted to be a journalist. Then I wanted to work in publishing.

And then, I started university, and decided I wanted to be a writer again...

xxx

[ Olympic gymnast (when I was really young) --> veterinarian (elementary school) --> marine biologist (middle school) ] --> < astrophysicist (high school to now) > --> { artist/writer (after I get my PhD in astrophysics and am retired) --> chocolatier }

[ ] = what I wanted to be

< > = what I will be

{ } = what I'll do afterwards

1 person likes this

[ Olympic gymnast (when I was really young) --> veterinarian (elementary school) --> marine biologist (middle school) ] --> < astrophysicist (high school to now) > --> { artist/writer (after I get my PhD in astrophysics and am retired) --> chocolatier }

[ ] = what I wanted to be

< > = what I will be

{ } = what I'll do afterwards

To resume:

Olympic Gymnast

Veterinarian (elementary school)

Marine biologist (middle school)

Astrophysicist (high school to now)

Artist/writer (after retirement)

Chocolatier (Hobby/job when retired)

Me? I just want to be wonderful!

(I wonder if anyone here is old enough to get that quote :P)

Elementary School: Nurse, Gymnast, Figure Skater, Boy

Middle School: Astronaut, Astronomer, Super Model, Singer, Artist

High School: Model: Architect, Philosopher, Activist, Anthropologist

Current: Industrial Designer, Human Factors Engineer, Wife

All I ever wanted to be was an author. I still do, but now I realize I need to look for something more steady and keep writing as a hobby. I'm not saying I'll never try and publish, but I want a solid job first.

Veterinarian > Comedienne > Astronomer > Optometrist > Teacher

I also want to be a photographer and a writer. As a teacher, that's what summer breaks are for!

1 person likes this

I guess if I go far enough back it would probably be either Batman or Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Well I think for the longest time I wanted to be a pilot and fly jets in the military (I saw Top Gun at a very young age and my mom made me close my eyes during the inappropriate scenes). Unfortunately I am not medically qualified due to my Red-Green Color Deficiency. Still looking to find what will be my life long passion. But I always felt patriotic growing up (still do) and had a desire to serve my country so now I am a Machine Gunner in the Marines.

1 person likes this

Character-wise, I also fantasized about being a Power Ranger (Yellow Ranger!), or a super hero of some kind (Batgirl mostly). And getting a letter from Hogwarts too! Ah, secretly, I wanted to be a Pokemon Trainer!  :lol:

Profession-wise, from elementary school to high school I wanted to be a doctor, an obstetrician actually. In high school, I at first wanted to go into computer science, then I decided I wanted to be an artist- a writer, a painter, a sculptor, a photographer...all of it. That still remains my dream today. :)

1 person likes this

From age 5 to now (not in that order):

a bus driver, a pharmacist, a taxi driver, a database administrator, a research scientist, an IT technician, a paramedic, a speech and language therapist, a graphic designer and a lollypop lady (here in England that's what we call a person who wears a fluorescent yellow jacket with a sign shaped like a lollypop and stops traffic intermittently near schools for children to cross).