Tatyana

Spirituality

26 posts in this topic

I am a very spiritual person, I believe in signs, messages from God and deeper meanings etc.  And I sometimes get precognitive dreams or certain feelings about people... :blink: yeah its unusual but it happens to me.

Do you think we all have spiritual gifts but we are just unable to see them? Why isnt stuff like this discussed often in church? if we are to work on building a stronger bond with Jesus then how can we hear anything beyond the bible? also are there verses in the bible that discuss these types of things? 

1 person likes this

I've had these experiences before. It is what keeps me believing a lot of the time. Let me get back to you on some examples and maybe some scriptures that talk about this. This a really interesting topic but I am also trying to write a paper so I'm not particularly ready to articulate a thorough response. :)

2 people like this

Not sure if this is similar, I think it is but I could be wrong but I feel as though spiritually I connect with my late father during different events in my life. For example, when I graduated from college, I felt him walking with me across the stage. Or when I play golf, I feel as though I can hear is laugh while playing. It's spooky, even so when I got a speeding ticket (he used to be a driving instructor LOL). I feel he is always with me.

1 person likes this

That is considered spiritual I believe and I think thats pretty cool and spooky, Ive heard about people experiencing that. A calming peaceful feeling like its their way of letting their loved ones know everything is okay, thats so cool  ^_^

I think a lot of people have this idea in their heads that spirituality and religion are opposed to one another, especially Christianity.   Because of this, some Christians think there is no spirituality within Christianity, so they then turn to Eastern religions or the New Age or something like that to find their spirituality.

However, I very much believe that there is spirituality within Christianity, and that Christians do not need to look to Eastern religions in order to have a sense of spirituality, because there is a biblical kind of spirituality...

Now, I think that Christians should tread very carefully on this topic, as it can quickly lead to things that are very much not Christian.

I believe that there are spiritual gifts that the Holy Spirit gives to believers, and that there are also counterfeit gifts that are not from God....and that sometimes the two can be very similar.   I do not believe that the spiritual gifts ceased when the Bible was complete.  At the same time, I do not think that the spiritual experiences or gifts should be a Christian's main focus.

There are several passages in the Bible that that talk about spiritual gifts.  I think the most famous one is from 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2012-14&version=NIV

I think that Christians are given spiritual gifts for God's glory.  I think that if God places us in a situation, and has a specific plan, then He will equip us with the spiritual gifts necessary to carry it out.   If He gives us a specific spiritual gift, then it is for the good of others, or will help us know God better so that we can share Him with others.  We're not all given the same spiritual gifts because we are meant to work with one another. 

I don't know about the specific spiritual experiences you have had, but it is possible that they are spiritual gifts....

If we are given a spiritual gift, then I think that we will eventually know it because God will put us in a situation in which we will need to use it for Him. 

Spiritual gifts and manifestations and such are talked about to different degrees in different churches.  Some churches do not mention them at all (this was how it was for me when I was growing up in my church), and some churches place too much emphasis on the spiritual gifts.  I wish that Christians would discuss this topic more. 

I also want to point out that if you hear something or if you have a spiritual experience that goes against the Bible, then I don't think that the source of it is the Holy Spirit, as the Holy Spirit would not contradict Scripture.  

I can find more references to Scripture that discusses spiritual gifts and such...and also ones that warn about counterfeit signs and wonders, if you would like.

1 person likes this

Alot of my dreams have had to do with christianity or my future so I started writing them down, I had a dream about the book of revelations (without having read it first), Ive sensed sorrow from a girl who always appeared cheery only to find out later, that she was suicidal. Ive had alot of experiences and Ive never been in a church that discussed them ever but I have christian friends that told me Im not alone and that there are christian groups out there that help each person understand their gifts better...I wish I hadnt moved because I would probably be in that group by now unless its like cult then :blink: I wouldnt.

Thanks Arwen and if you can find more send them my way...

is there a specific book in the bible that discusses this?

2 people like this

Alot of my dreams have had to do with christianity or my future so I started writing them down, I had a dream about the book of revelations (without having read it first), Ive sensed sorrow from a girl who always appeared cheery only to find out later, that she was suicidal. Ive had alot of experiences and Ive never been in a church that discussed them ever but I have christian friends that told me Im not alone and that there are christian groups out there that help each person understand their gifts better...I wish I hadnt moved because I would probably be in that group by now unless its like cult then :blink: I wouldnt.

If we talk about spiritual gifts, we also are going to need to talk about the Holy Spirit and His role.

You also have to consider the nature of spiritual gifts and why they exist....their purpose and how they are meant to function.

Start with 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14.    Let's look at this in chunks to make it easier.

12 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,†and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,†except by the Holy Spirit.

This is in the middle of Paul's letter to the church in Corinth.   Because of the content of this letter, I think we can safely assume that this letter (1 Corinthians) was written in response to a letter that the church in Corinth sent to Paul.   What we see is Paul's responses.  We don't actually have the letter that the church in Corinth wrote to Paul.  It seems that the people in the church in Corinth had questions about spiritual gifts, and also, Paul was aware of some issues with how the people in Corinth viewed or handled spiritual gifts, and he felt that he needed to address them.

Paul didn't write the letter with chapters and verses in it :), but Christians added them in later so that we could quickly find a section of Scripture that we were looking for, etc.  We can find what we're looking for in verses 12-14.   This is the section of the letter that Paul addressed the topic of spiritual gifts.

So, the first thing that we have to note here is that there are such things as spiritual gifts.  Most of the people that were part of the church in Corinth were not Jews, but rather they had been pagans.   So these people worshiped other gods and had participated in spiritual activities associated with their former religions. From what I've read and heard people talk about, I know that the occult has counterfeit spiritual gifts that can be quite powerful.  So, my guess is that it was the same back then.  So I think that Paul is trying to assure them here that there are spiritual gifts that are from God.

Keep in mind that everything that Paul says here is to the church -- to Christians.

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

Then, Paul says that there are different kinds of spiritual gifts that are from God (meaning that not everyone receives the same spiritual gifts), and it is the Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts.  Even though each of us is given a unique set of spiritual gifts, and even though each of us might be called to serve God in a different way, we are all serving the same God.  It is the same God who works in each one of us. 

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Now Paul tells us why there are spiritual gifts.   They are given to us for the common good -- for everyone, to build up the church, and to do God's work, and to point people to Jesus.   (See what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit in John.  I'll quote it later...just keep that in mind.)

I don't think the list here is meant to be exhaustive.  In my opinion, Christians spend too much time trying to figure out what "spiritual gift" they have, and so they define each of these things narrowly, and I think they miss the point of what Paul's saying here.  I don't think Paul meant for every Christian to define these gifts he lists, and then for them to try to figure out which one they fit into, like some kind of personality test.  I don't think that's what God wants us to do, either.  It can be helpful to think about, but I don't think we should spend a lot of time on this.

I think what Paul is doing here is just giving examples of some of the gifts that the Holy Spirit gave to people.  I also want to say that the definitions might vary.  Just as each person is given a different gift, the Holy Spirit might choose to give people different forms of that gift.   So these gifts might not even look the same from person to person.   These spiritual gifts are about God and His work in us, not about us.  And as gifts, we can't earn them by being "spiritual" enough.

So Paul specifically names several gifts as examples.  These include: wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, distinguishing between spirits (sometimes called discernment), tongues, and interpretation of tongues.  Again, this isn't an exhaustive list.  The point Paul is making is that people are given different gifts, all for the common good -- that of the church, and that they are all from the Holy Spirit.   He is the same Holy Spirit who works in each of these gifts.   The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts just as He chooses.

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

So, Paul is saying here that just as our own physical body is made up of different parts (we have different organs that all function together for the benefit of our whole body), so is the church made up of individuals who are spiritually gifted in different ways.  All those who believe in Jesus have been given the Holy Spirit, and thus have been given spiritual gifts by the Holy Spirit.

Since God intended us to be in community with other people -- we are not meant to live isolated lives -- then we all compliment and supplement each other with the spiritual gifts that God has given us.  This is made clearer when Paul continues...

15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,†it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,†it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

It appears that one problem that the church in Corinth had was that people were valuing some spiritual gifts more than they were valuing other spiritual gifts.  From the rest of the letter, it seems that they were thinking that tongues was superior to other gifts (a problem that is present in many modern day Pentecostal and charismatic churches).  When we overvalue one spiritual gift, then we are saying that a person who has that spiritual gift is more important than others.  Paul argues against this viewpoint.

It also seems that some people who had different gifts were undervaluing their gift -- thinking that they were less of a Christian or whatever, or that they weren't needed in the church, or that they didn't belong to it, because they didn't have the gift that everyone had put such heavy emphasis on (in their case, tongues).

Paul's basically saying here that there would be no point in us all having the exact same spiritual gift.  It would be like our whole physical body being one big foot, or one big ear, or one big eye, etc.  Just as we need all the parts of our body to make it up, all members of the church are needed because each person has been uniquely gifted by the Holy Spirit.  Every person is valued, and every person has an equal part to play in the church.  God has gifted each one of us just how He wanted us to be.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!†And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!†22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

So every Christian is needed in the church.   We are all equally important.  No one is better than anyone else, and no gift is better than any other gift.  God has equipped each one of us for the individual parts that He wants us to play in the whole body of the church.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Again, this isn't meant to be exhaustive or something that we should try to find a way of fitting ourselves into.  Paul simply listed various roles that different people had within the Christian body at the time that he wrote the letter. 

Here are some of the gifts that he lists this time:  apostles, prophets, teachers (teaching), miracles, healing, helping, guidance, tongues, interpretation, etc.

Paul very clearly says that not all of us will have the same spiritual gifts by the way that he asks the question.

I'll continue with chapter 13 in the next post.

And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

13 If I speak in the tongues[e] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[f] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

A lot of people have probably heard of at least some of these words in 1 Corinthians 13, as they are often spoken at weddings.   But in their direct context, Paul is talking about spiritual gifts.  It's just a continuation of his argument from chapter 12.

Paul is saying that spiritual gifts mean nothing if they are not done in a loving context.   Love is what really matters much more than the individual spiritual gifts that are given.  Without love, our spiritual gifts mean nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Is Paul's definition of love.  So any spiritual gift should be shown and done in a way that reflects love.  So a spiritual gift should be done from a motive of love....love should be evident in the actions and words of that person. 

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Faith, hope, and love are the greater gifts, love being the very highest.   Doing things out of love is the more excellent way that Paul was talking just before verse 13 starts.  These are the gifts that will last, even when we see Jesus face to face.  

Chapter 14 will be in the next post.

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue[g] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[h] but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[i] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Okay -- here Paul begins to really deal with the issue of people overvaluing the gift of tongues.   He compares tongues with prophecy...so we do have a glimpse into these two gifts.

Tongues

Does not speak to people, but speaks to God

No one understands the person speaking in tongues, but they are uttering mysteries by the Spirit  (unless there is an interpreter)

Edifies themselves

If an interpreter is present, then the church is edified

Prophecy (we're going to have to see how this gift is used in Scripture, or we run the risk of using our culture's definition of the term)

Speaking to people for their strengthening, encouragement, and comfort

Edifies the church

Paul is saying that prophecy, in the setting of the church, builds up the body more than tongues do. 

Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

Paul is saying that tongues in and of itself is not really that useful for other Christians unless there is also some sort of revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction to go along with it.  Speaking tongues is meaningless in a church setting because no one will know what you are saying.

Tongues in and of themselves do not really build up the church....they just build up the person who has the gift, so Paul would much rather see gifts being used in church which build it up.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[j] say “Amen†to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

More of the same.  

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues

and through the lips of foreigners

I will speak to this people,

but even then they will not listen to me,

says the Lord.â€[k]

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!â€

LOL.   Paul says that if Christians are speaking in tongues to each other, and a non-Christian were to come in, the non-believer would conclude that the Christians there were crazy. 

Again, Paul is comparing tongues with prophecy.  

We learn here that prophecy is meant to convict people of sin, and the person is brought under judgement, because the secrets of the heart are laid bare.   Thus, the person will fall down and worship God.   The purpose of this seems to be to bring the person to Jesus so that they too can know God.

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

Now Paul is starting to close up the spiritual gift section in this letter by discussing how spiritual gifts should look like in corporate, public worship services. 

1.) everything that happens in church should be done in order to build it up -- to edify each other and the entire church.

2.)  There should only be two or three people speaking in tongues, at most, and only with and interpreter.  And they should speak one at a time.

3.) if someone speaks in tongues, then there must be an interpreter.  If there is no interpreter, then the person should remain silent.  The person should speak in tongues when they get home to God in private.  Again, tongues with no interpreter is pointless, and does not build up the church.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

So Paul is saying all this so that there will be order in worship services, not confusion and chaos.

The points Paul says here are pretty self-explanatory, so I don't think I need to lay them out. 

34 Women[l] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

This particular passage is controversial -- if we just look at it by itself.  But if we view it in connection with the what Paul's saying here about order -- and what it says in verse 35 -- it seems possible that Paul has order in mind here.  From the context, it seems that women might have been asking a lot of questions, interrupting the worship services with their questions, so Paul might be telling them to just be quiet and ask their husbands at home so that there is no interruption in the worship service.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.[n]

What Paul has written here about spiritual gifts is to be considered Scripture.  So if anyone claims to have a spiritual gift, but doesn't agree with what Paul has said here, then the person should just be ignored.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

So don't suppress the spiritual gifts, but everything needs to be done in a fitting and orderly way. 

There are other passages, but I want to see what you think about what Paul says in 1 Corinthians first.  :)

You see this in all religions in the world. One example I can think of easily is Padre Pio of the Catholic Church. He did healings, bi location which is being in multiple places at once and was able to read your soul. During confession for example if someone who went to see him in confession wasn't sincere he would just say enough "enough!" He would know things about you that you didn't tell anyone for example, especially since people from all over the world came to see him! How can he know about you if you exist on the other side of the world? One particular one was when he appeared in the sky and literally deflected the air raid bombs back at the attackers when his church was being targeted. At the time one of the pilots who dropped the bomb didn't know who he was but when he met him years later he was shocked to see it was him!

How God blesses people like him and many others throughout the world is truly amazing. :D

2 people like this

Let me answer the rest of your post too, just so I won't forget to later.

I don't know if you would feel comfortable doing this, but if you feel comfortable, would you be willing to post an example of one of the dreams having to do with Christianity, or summarize the main theme of these dreams? 

What did you dream about in regard to the book of Revelation?  What is it that you dreamed?  Have you read the book since your dream?  We have to be really careful when dealing with this specific book, so I'm curious what it is that you dreamed.

I do want to say that I think what you experienced could very well be the Holy Spirit working in you -- as these are things that would not be unheard of -- but the content/doctrine/message needs to be tested with Scripture to make sure that it lines up with it.

Sensing sorrow from the girl, as you described, is definitely something that sounds like the Holy Spirit's work.  He does sometimes reveal just enough about another person so that we could encourage them, show love to them, or confront them in a loving way, or point them to God, etc. 

It's sad that many churches do not discuss spiritual gifts.  I had to learn about them from reading my Bible and through my own relationship with God -- what the Holy Spirit has shown me about this, and also from talking to other Christians.  So yes, let's talk about this.  I'm so glad that you brought this up because this is something that I wish Christians would discuss more. 

Again, we need to use caution when talking about spiritual gifts, as almost all the spiritual gifts can be counterfeited...so yeah, that's why I brought up 1 Corinthians first.

One dream started with me walking through an outside hallway and I felt like someone was behind me I turn around to see a bloody half goat-half man standing there, he had horns. It was hideous but I wasnt scared, next thing I know Im in a closet of a hotel room... a man( looked around 40) and a young woman(looked about 19-20) were in bed.  Meanwhile the goat-man(demon) was standing outside of the hotel door but the man couldnt see the demon.  Everytime he kissed or touched the woman the demon stepped closer. I began getting scared and I wanted to warn him but I couldnt/didnt interfere. Finally the demon stepped one foot into the room, the man screamed the look on his face was horrifying the woman disappeared into thin air as the room turned dark red to black.

I will inbox you the dream about revelations if thats ok I feel a little naked putting my dreams up here.  :blush: 

and the girl I dont know what I couldve done to help because it was very draining to be around her, the feeling was just too dark/sad and heavy.

Sure I will come back to this

Okay -- let me know when you want to resume this discussion.

When I think of spiritual gifts...I just think of natural talents like me making music...Its a gift from God so its a good idea to use it for him. My mom told me that the doctors told her due to a certain circumstance she could never have kids.....then she in a fit of anger had an argument with God asking him why she would be denied something she wanted so bad...and i was born...that's why my name is Nathaniel(gift from God)....sometime when i was around 4 i got sick and stopped eating for a week and had to get an IV in my shaved head because the veins in my arms were too small...and mom was upset because i was going to die...so once again she was mad at God as she sat in her rocking chair and cried...later to discover that it wasn't a rocking chair...but a solid chair in a hospital....it was God comforting her....the day after i started eating...then there was the time when I tried to overdose...studied how much of my moms sleeping pills would kill me...took 4x + the amount...enough to go into a coma for 2 weeks and have my lungs shut off..and i remember praying to God to forgive me of the sin i was about to commit...the doctors have no idea how i lived ..I wasn't found for at least 9 hours...plenty of time to absorb it.....I live up to my name....God has never ''talked to me'' i wish he did...then i would feel more guided and not like im just guessing what he wants...some miracles are fake...but some aren't...and those are the interesting ones....

1 person likes this

When I think of spiritual gifts...I just think of natural talents like me making music...Its a gift from God so its a good idea to use it for him. My mom told me that the doctors told her due to a certain circumstance she could never have kids.....then she in a fit of anger had an argument with God asking him why she would be denied something she wanted so bad...and i was born...that's why my name is Nathaniel(gift from God)....sometime when i was around 4 i got sick and stopped eating for a week and had to get an IV in my shaved head because the veins in my arms were too small...and mom was upset because i was going to die...so once again she was mad at God as she sat in her rocking chair and cried...later to discover that it wasn't a rocking chair...but a solid chair in a hospital....it was God comforting her....the day after i started eating...then there was the time when I tried to overdose...studied how much of my moms sleeping pills would kill me...took 4x + the amount...enough to go into a coma for 2 weeks and have my lungs shut off..and i remember praying to God to forgive me of the sin i was about to commit...the doctors have no idea how i lived ..I wasn't found for at least 9 hours...plenty of time to absorb it.....I live up to my name....God has never ''talked to me'' i wish he did...then i would feel more guided and not like im just guessing what he wants...some miracles are fake...but some aren't...and those are the interesting ones....

That is an amazing story.  :)   Thanks for sharing it.  

As for God not talking to you....my guess is that He has -- you just haven't been aware of it.   I believe that since He is a personal God, and created each one of us, He speaks to people in different ways, unique to them.  Most people don't hear an audible voice.   Those are just my thoughts.

I remember reading that God is always talking to us, it's just that our minds are too loud to hear him. How can you hear one person in a room where everyone is speaking loudly? That's why all religious traditions incorporate meditation, even Christians, just you only hear about it from the Catholics from my experience.

As Padre Pio from Christianity and the Catholic church said quite well.

"Through the study of books one seeks God; by meditation one finds him". -Pio of Pietrelcina.

Yes I have to relearn how to meditate again and start back up with reading the bible its hard to do those because I have so much on my mind lately. 

I remember reading that God is always talking to us, it's just that our minds are too loud to hear him. How can you hear one person in a room where everyone is speaking loudly? That's why all religious traditions incorporate meditation, even Christians, just you only hear about it from the Catholics from my experience.

As Padre Pio from Christianity and the Catholic church said quite well.

"Through the study of books one seeks God; by meditation one finds him". -Pio of Pietrelcina.

I believe that God speaks in different ways.  He doesn't need us to be totally silent in order for us to hear Him speak.  For example, He can speak in situations, He can speak to us through the words and actions of others, He can speak to us when we are listening to a song, He can speak to us when we are deep in thought about something, He can speak to us while we are reading the Bible, etc. He can speak to us when we are praying, of course.

Our minds do not need to shut off in order to hear Him.  

I should also point out that at least biblically speaking, there is a difference between mediation in the Bible and the emptying your mind kind of meditation.  God gave us brains, and He speaks to us through them sometimes.   When the Bible speaks of mediation, it seems to me to be encouraging us to think about God, to think about Scripture, to think about creation, to think about the things that He has done for us.  It is active, not passive.

I won't deny that there are Christians who do try to empty their minds or, still their minds -- but I'm not sure that it is a biblical practice.  I know that Catholics are not the only ones who do it.  It is popular in the form of contemplative prayer with many Christians -- some call it "soaking."   I personally am uncomfortable with both of these practices, and I think there can be spiritual danger with both, especially the second one.  People do it though, and there have been Christians in the past who have done this.

One dream started with me walking through an outside hallway and I felt like someone was behind me I turn around to see a bloody half goat-half man standing there, he had horns. It was hideous but I wasnt scared, next thing I know Im in a closet of a hotel room... a man( looked around 40) and a young woman(looked about 19-20) were in bed.  Meanwhile the goat-man(demon) was standing outside of the hotel door but the man couldnt see the demon.  Everytime he kissed or touched the woman the demon stepped closer. I began getting scared and I wanted to warn him but I couldnt/didnt interfere. Finally the demon stepped one foot into the room, the man screamed the look on his face was horrifying the woman disappeared into thin air as the room turned dark red to black.

I will inbox you the dream about revelations if thats ok I feel a little naked putting my dreams up here.  :blush: 

and the girl I dont know what I couldve done to help because it was very draining to be around her, the feeling was just too dark/sad and heavy.

Thanks.  Yes, anything that you are uncomfortable with telling me, you don't have.   Anything that you are uncomfortable putting out in the open on this forum, you can PM me, as you did with the Revelation dream.

The dream you posted on here seems to show that sin has spiritual consequences, which we already knew from the Bible :)   The dream does present the message in a graphic way.  I don't know whether or not that dream was from God, but it does show the dangers of sin.

I do know people who have sensed something similar to what you have when they are around others.  The question, then, is what to do with it.  And there you would need to ask for the Holy Spirit's wisdom.   If He is allowing you to sense things like that, then there is a purpose to it.   Sometimes it might be to warn you of someone, or to get you to pray for someone, or to get you to confront someone in a loving way.  Perhaps just a word from you like, "God loves you," or "You look nice today," or "I'm glad to see you today," could really make someone's day.  Perhaps you and others could pray for an individual like that, and take the person to God.   If you felt there was a demon present, and you felt that there should be an exorcism, that might be another reason to "sense," something like that.  But prayer always is good :)

I've never had a strong physical reaction to another person, but I know that some Christians do, and I do think that it can be a spiritual gift from God.  That is a form of discernment.   The discernment I experience is different...it's more about the content of what someone says, and whether or not it lines up with Scripture.  Both these are forms of discernment that the Holy Spirit gives to people.  So it is awesome that you have this gift.  :)

I will read over other's opinions but here is my two cents:

I am raised a pagan, (worshipping in India) not exactly a Christian place, but generally referred to as Hindu.  I want to join a church as I believe more religious people in church would match my beliefs but I would have to be open about my past.  Does this make sense to everyone or am I crossing the line by getting interested in church?

I don't completely understand... You are changing religion or just searching around? Anyways there is nothing wrong with getting an interest in church. God wants to spread His message to all we weren't born Christains but we are all sinners and can chose to follow Christ. Just make sure you go into a friendly church environment as all churches aren't perfect and some ppl can be harsh even though they aren't perfect either.

1 person likes this

I'd like to start off stating that I am a Christian and a bible-believer and my input here is colored by my personal experience. Our relationship with God is a personal one (in prayer and/or in journey).  I believe in the power of intuition.  I think intuition is a part of our spirit.  I used to not believe in intuition as if it were an unreliable emotion.  When I started trusting it, I have since began to make some of the best choices of my life!  I also think love exists with or without us humans as if it were a spiritual element.  That's why I believe in morality so much. 

(I do agree with Arwen that there are false spiritual teachings and that we should not be naive of the limitlessness of darkness.  With evil there is deceit.) 
It is good to search for Truth thus what we are doing with this thread. 

2 people like this

I was born and raised a Hindu and do believe in no sex before marriage. It is not part of the religion but it's my own personal belief.

I would say I am a Hindu with Christen values of family and no sex before marriage.

This article is also a reason behind my belief. As a Hindu, I am also open to all faiths and also believe in God's teachings as well such as afterlife and reincarnation which is also in the Hindu faith. Hinduism is the oldest religion and is from the sand-script.

http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/a/sexandthebible.htm

I will read over other's opinions but here is my two cents:

I am raised a pagan, (worshipping in India) not exactly a Christian place, but generally referred to as Hindu.  I want to join a church as I believe more religious people in church would match my beliefs but I would have to be open about my past.  Does this make sense to everyone or am I crossing the line by getting interested in church?

I had a best friend that was Hindu (he passed away a few years back) and he was interested in Catholicism 10 years ago but wasnt sure yet. He was so humble that in between converting he would go every Saturday to help sweep inside the church to make sure it was clean for Sunday mass. His priest told him to come to mass every Sunday but that he could hold onto his Hindu beliefs while making up his mind.the point is my best friend was seeking God with all his heart and that is all God wants from him.

I am an inclusivist which means that I don't believe that I will only see Christians in heaven, that God will not up ish someone for something that they innocently don't know. God looks first at the disposition of a persons heart and if they are responding to the appropriate light that they have received with all their heart and soul.

This is what the Catholic Church teaches and its also what the earliest Christian writers believed as you can see if you research their writings.