Sunny

Fashion Thread: What would you wear on a first date?

30 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what kind of things you ladies wear on dates. It can be any kind of date, I just want answers.

Even though I've never actually been on a date of any kind, as of this year I have been planning out what I would wear, and building a small wardrobe of date-worthy pieces (because I don't have many).

I have a couple of skirts that are like this:

25fre50.jpg

Yes they are that short on me but I would be wearing shorts under there ( I would not wear a skirt of any length without safety shorts), but do you still think that would be inappropriate and send the wrong kind of message? I want to look cuter and different than I do on a regular basis (what can I say? I dress for comfort 99% of the time).

If it were a date to someplace like the movies would you even wear a skirt/dress and heels? Would that look like trying to hard?

Aahhhhh Im home :)

On first dates I usually wear something feminine and casual I try not to wear heals(unless he's way taller than me) because I want to be as comfortable as possible. Im very fashionable but I tone it down on first dates so I come across as more down to earth vs high maintenance, depending on where the date is taking place I would wear the following...

http://pinterest.com/pin/50313720809503636/

http://pinterest.com/pin/281897257898147783/

http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986834162191/

http://pinterest.com/pin/273101164875912700/

http://pinterest.com/pin/44402746298837855/

Now that skirt you have I cant really tell you if its too much because I dont know how short it is on you...personally when I go to a movie date I dont wear heals(I personally think women look silly going to the theater in heals) I wear flats or boots and I make sure I wear pants or a longer dress/skirt because I dont like the feeling of the theater seats against the back of my legs (ugh!) so uncomfortable. Something like below (and the first one) with cowboy boots and because the theater is cold you dont want to be shiverin the whole time so a nice light cardigan will go well with that. you can mix and match with the above as well.

http://pinterest.com/pin/72550243969505368/

5 people like this

leggings and boots with those short skirts are super cute and modest.

I also don't recommend high heels unless they are extremely comfortable for long periods of time, because you want to be flexible with the date.  You want to be prepared for anything spontaneous such as a long walk etc and not have your feet hurt.

1 person likes this

I guess I should keep quiet on this thread since I know as much about fashion as I know about the eating habits of the Sasquatch!

4 people like this

Im sure she wouldnt mind the guys chiming in on what is or isnt attractive, personally Im curious to know what guys think about the above outifits.

3 people like this

What dates? :) lol. But in all honesty I think about it, I like the skinny jeans and a slouchy tee with a black leather jacket and boots. Or the cute skirt and tee with boots. I guess it depends on where we are going. If its more of an "adventure" date I won't be wearing a skirt and heels.

1 person likes this

If I am going out to a place that doesn't have a dress code or it is a relaxed setting: nice pair of jeans, black collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up to elbows.

If I had to dress nice, probably my black suit with a collard shirt.

Always wear dress shoes, never runners, and always, iron the shirt.... of yeah, and my fedora, cause i'm a cool cat...lol

(First example:)
roll-up-your-sleeves-7.jpg

(Second example:)
edward-norton-suit-no-tie.jpg

5 people like this

My first date was in the winter, we went to an art museum then a pizza place so I wore my best pair of jeans and a nice pink shirt with some black boots and a cute black pea coat. My second date was in the summer and we went to a movie. I wore a knee length skirt with a tank top and a short light purple cardigan and flip flops. Next time I get a date, I think I will do better. But I do like to look casual while still looking cute. Tatyana has such good fashion sense. Just listen to what she says. lol

2 people like this

I guess I should keep quiet on this thread since I know as much about fashion as I know about the eating habits of the Sasquatch!

I'm going to second Tatyana. Gentlemen feel free to post what you'd like to see a girl wear on a first date or what you would wear on a first date yourself.

I too am not the best when it comes to fashion so you're not the only one!

She can wear this on a date, reasonable attire and modern fashion!

post-2829-0-48757000-1365031694_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

Im a dresses girl, always have been, i mean dont get me wrong jeans and a t-shirt are amazing, but i've always loved classic modest dresses.. so i would probably wear a vintage dress, with a tan belt and bag and some cute ribbon lace up ballet flats, or low cut chucks, If its cold, i would prob keep the dress, match it with stockings, and a scarf :) 

2 people like this

I'm hardly an expert on women's fashion, but I'd prefer any kind of cute but casual dress on a girl for the first date (I like your picture, Sunny, and the dresses Tatyana posted). I'd probably wear something similar to the first picture Justin posted. 

leggings and boots with those short skirts are super cute and modest.

I also don't recommend high heels unless they are extremely comfortable for long periods of time, because you want to be flexible with the date.  You want to be prepared for anything spontaneous such as a long walk etc and not have your feet hurt.

yummm hahaha, suh i love short skirts with leggings, id ask that out any day hahaha

Personally, I'd prefer something comfortable yet cute. A nice pair of jeans and a pretty blouse maybe some flats. Put the most emphasis on your beautiful radiant face with a lovely hairdo that accents your face/personality! If you wear jewelry be sure not to over accessorize. Also no overpowering perfume he should be able to smell you with the whisk of the wind, not when you're just sitting still (don't gas chamber him lol). Just be as adorable as can be. I would save the dresses and such for the second date if you guys get to that point then it's okay to be a bit more cutesy and gorgeous. Remember don't throw out your aces on first dates.  :superwaiter:  

2 people like this

Oh and if you're not a heels kind of gal, then don't squeeze yourself into them just to catch a guy. He may think that you are a regular heel wearer and would like to see you in them often. Stay true to what's comfortable and don't go too out of your element. The trick is to find a guy who likes what comes natural to you, you're not trying to trick the guy into liking you. 

2 people like this

Oh and if you're not a heels kind of gal, then don't squeeze yourself into them just to catch a guy. He may think that you are a regular heel wearer and would like to see you in them often. Stay true to what's comfortable and don't go too out of your element. The trick is to find a guy who likes what comes natural to you, you're not trying to trick the guy into liking you. 

My grandma made me wear heels at a very young age (like around 8) so I'm very comfortable with heels. Actually, when I get married I plan on doing chores and cooking my hubby's dinner in heels and something semi-cute when he's around. Its skirts and dresses that I'm not really too comfortable with because its been a while since I've actually worn one. Showing skin also makes me uncomfortable. Even wearing a v-neck top makes me feel uncomfy.

2 people like this

Actually, when I get married I plan on doing chores and cooking my hubby's dinner in heels and something semi-cute when he's around.

get it girl I see you lol

1 person likes this

I usually dress up a little more on dates making sure to leave a little to the imagination, though modesty is highly subjective. For my first date with my current boyfriend I wore my favorite octopus cardigan I got on ThinkGeek. 

I like this thread  ^_^

well , I am gonna say , it depends ... according to the time / place / the guy 

Let's start with the guy ...

if he is someone of my friends ( like I knew him before & he saw me from time to time ) , I want to look extra nice for the date ... you know like in the movies ... when she is a tomboy , then suddenly she is a ...  wow fairy  & he realizes he fell in love hahaha... THAT . !

if he is someone I am meeting for the first time , You wanna leave a good first impression , so you are gonna dress to impress ... see what impression you wanna him to get ... the down to earth girl / cute / bubbly .... or the  classy / fashion girl ... ect ... 

I would totally go for the something cute & bubbly , not too fancy , or flashy ... 

the time : if it is summer ... choose happy colors ... I would ... a cute summer dress can never go wrong  ^_^

if it is winter ... warm colors  

the place : I say dress for the place .... 

the movies / causal dates / cozy diners / walk in the streets ....ect ... dress cute & girly 

fancy places / concerts / operas ... dress like a lady  ;)

but after all :

- avoid high heels if they are not needed .

- excess makeup 

-overdoing you hair 

-uncomfortable tight - or over the top sexy clothes  

( I dont wanna do something that I don't do everyday ... be extra nice ..okay , but being totally different ...No ) 

& most of all 

-  do not buy a new outfit for the date  hahaha like why  ?! ... take it or leave it ,  dude  :P

& either way .... it is not about what you wear , it is about how you act &  all 

be yourself :wub:

3 people like this