Cinder

Cinder's Excercise Advice, Tips and Tricks

38 posts in this topic

Well if you don't eat you'll lose the wrong kind of weight and won't have enough energy to workout, your supposed to have a diet based off 2000 calories a day I believe.

Well since Im here what about saddle bags? lol sounds so sexy but seriously Ive always had this problem even though Im skinny I pack fat in my hips. Its the only problem I have..I dunno if its just my caribbean background and the way Im shaped but I dont like it. I run, do squats, just started doing mountain climbers but the fat is still there, and persistant. should I just keep going or give up on that area?

Thanks :D! I've recently been trying to get back into shape. It hasn't been that hard really, but I based on your advice, there's a lot work that must be done. Especially since I only eat 1-2 times per day and only 1 hour of medium intensity cardio (Btw 6 meals a day seems crazy to me! Why do I have to eat so much? :o). Every now and then I'll do something like squats, planks, and situps but squats and planks really hurt, and situps are boring because I can do a bunch of those (like 50 in 1 minute) and not feel anything :mellow:.

Is there an alternative to lifting weights? Gyms are not my friend :disapproval:.

Do you really think hip-waist ratio matters? Because can't obese women have .7 hip-waist ratios if they're very hourglass? :huh:

I'm already below .7 hip-waist ratio, even at my heaviest I was below .7 (albeit I've never been overweight). I don't even know why I have a pooch because my waist measurement is pretty small as well, smaller than the picture I posted, yet I still have a pooch :wacko:. Maybe its because I'm pretty much skinny-fat. Starting from the little "pooch" on my lower abdomen and everything the below, there is no firmness, especially my thighs, which I'm starting to notice cellulite on! I heard that cellulite is from too many carbs in the diet. Is that true? I probably eat more rice, pasta, and sweets than I should. I have never been able to get these legs under control. My body wants to store all of the fat there. I would like to know the proper routine for that so I can get them to be more proportional :).

Getting into shape isn't hard; reaching optimal fitness is. You don't have to eat every three hours (six times a day), but unless you can stuff down 3 chicken breasts in one sitting...then six meals a day is what you'll need to do.

I see; well, I'll be honest and tell you that squats are the most essential workout for anyone, though particularly women. It targets all the right muscles (legs, butt, back, abdomen) and does so really well.

Eh, alternate to lifting weights? Of course there is, but it's going to be a lot more difficult and time consuming. High intensity cardio (Running up-hill, swimming) are the two best candidates.

Yes, hip-waist ratio is very important; obviously, you'll still need to keep a healthy weight. Obesity is obesity.

Like I said, you won't lose your pooch unless you exercise in the right manner. Heck, you could have the greatest legs, butt and back ever seen on the Earth and still have that pooch. Remember, 2+ hours of continous exercise; it's all babyfat.

No, that's a myth; carbs are essential to muscle growth. Cellulite is in general associated with calories.

The proper routine is as follows:

Squats: 4 sets of 5 repititions, or (4x5)

Lunges: 4x5

Leg Extensions: 4x5

Calf Raises: 4xFailure (You do them until you can't anymore)

Do the following split:

AxxAxxA

A = Monday, Thursday and Sunday

x = Day off

@AW: I see; I'd start hitting up the gym/doing some high-intensity cardio. You won't regret it. :)

Well since Im here what about saddle bags? lol sounds so sexy but seriously Ive always had this problem even though Im skinny I pack fat in my hips. Its the only problem I have..I dunno if its just my caribbean background and the way Im shaped but I dont like it. I run, do squats, just started doing mountain climbers but the fat is still there, and persistant. should I just keep going or give up on that area?

That sounds like genetics; some people store fat differently, and you seem to be storing it in your hips.

Like I told Sunny, you CAN lose it...but it's going to take a lot of dedication and hard work. Follow the same routine as I told her for the 3 hour daily workout.

Any experience with High Intensity Interval Training? Thanks :)

Any experience with High Intensity Interval Training? Thanks :)

Sure, what about 'em? :)

Sure, what about 'em? :)

Well I read an article that says you will usually burn calories for longer afterwards than a regular workout, so that seems interesting. I have a treadmill, so could I just walk/run or should I incorporate other stuff? Thanks :)

Well I read an article that says you will usually burn calories for longer afterwards than a regular workout, so that seems interesting. I have a treadmill, so could I just walk/run or should I incorporate other stuff? Thanks :)

Yes, high intensity interval exercises do provide you with that benefit.

Though may I ask what your fitness goals are?

I want to lose about 10-15 pounds and then maintain that. Right now I usually walk at a moderate pace for about 40 minutes 4/5 days a week and do some weight lifting and leg exercises.

I want to lose everything, but...this sounds really hard.

With all of that said, here's how you'll lose everything:

1. Eat one breast of chicken and 1 pound of vegetables every meal, and only chicken and vegetables, six times a day.
  2. Lift weights for at least an hour.
  3. After your hourly session of lifting weights, take an hour jog/run on a treadmill or outside.
  4. After your hourly jog/run session, take an hour swim at your local olympic pool.

I want to lose about 10-15 pounds and then maintain that. Right now I usually walk at a moderate pace for about 40 minutes 4/5 days a week and do some weight lifting and leg exercises.

That shouldn't be difficult at all. This would be easier if you could provide me with your current height and weight. (PM it to me if you'd like).

@Matt: Yup, it is, but if that's what you want, then you won't regret it.

1.) I'd try planks, leg raises and pull downs, of which I will post a video for you of me doing them in the near future. They don't necessarily target the neck or shoulders, so those should be good for you.

2.) Well, you honestly don't require meat to function and depending on your fitness goals, you may not require that strand of protein for that either. As long as you're including raw proteins like nuts and certain grains, you'll be good to go. :) Vegetables provide you with the most nutrition for your buck (most of the time). But yes, I'd recommend reducing your meat intake slowly. You never know what you're body will do if you deprive it of something it's been having for a long time.

In addition: Milk/Cheese, beans (example: garbonzo beans on salad, humus, lentils in soup) are excellent sources of protein. An egg is the very best choice for protein there is because it is the most complete source.  Vegetables have protein too, but incomplete (so eat a variety)

Vegans don't consume milk and eggs but not necessarily vegetarians (is that right??)

Wow guys and gals... Now this is a great thread and healthy living is cool. Especially for you chaps across the pond as you have more fast food outlets than we do here. But hey a lot of you are young and your bodies need a balance of excercise and wholesome food to set you up for the rest of your life. Please please don't stress about your size and compare yourself to the catwalk girls.

I look at the pictures on this thread and hear the word pooch.?. Goodness all I see is a lovely body shape, leave the "pooch". It's perfect.

So healthy living, healthy mind !! , keep fit, indulge occasionally. And all will be fine. Col.

2 people like this