Cinder

Cinder's Excercise Advice, Tips and Tricks

38 posts in this topic

Okay!

So most of you more than likely already know that I'm an exercise freak and that I'm at the gym everyday, heck, sometimes even twice a day!

But all of that is besides the point of this topic. Instead, I'm going to take the opportunity to discuss fitness in general, give you guys some tips on certain important, compound exercises, and lastly answer any questions you may have.

The first exercise I'll be discussing sometime tonight (with a video of me demonstrating proper form) will be the rack pulls. It's one of the most essential compound exercises that primarily targets your back.

By the way, a compound exercise is one that works multiple muscles besides the one you're specifically targeting.

Depending on your questions and desired fitness goals, I'll be advising on proper routines as well.

If you have any questions, please, don't be shy. :)

P.S.) I've been exercising for over ten years and have attended numerous courses related to fitness and nutrition. :)

1 person likes this

:( why dont you live next door? Im a fitness junky too and I would totally go with you to run or workout.

5 people like this

:( why dont you live next door? Im a fitness junky too and I would totally go with you to run or workout.

Where do you live, exactly?

1 person likes this

boring old Kissimmee  too far for us to be workout buddies

Central Florida's amazing!

Cool topic! I love talking about fitness and nutrition :)

My questions:

1) Do you know of any AB exercises that can be done standing up? Last year I kind of over-trained and my neck and shoulder muscles got very stiff, so I can't do the normal AB workouts for some time.

2) This one is about nutrition: What is your view on becoming a vegetarian? I want to become one someday for many reasons, mainly because it's healthier and more eco-friendly. I'm not eating a lot of meat right now and I've tried stopping altogether, but it seems I'm still not prepared to leave it completely  ^_^

Cool topic! I love talking about fitness and nutrition :)

My questions:

1) Do you know of any AB exercises that can be done standing up? Last year I kind of over-trained and my neck and shoulder muscles got very stiff, so I can't do the normal AB workouts for some time.

2) This one is about nutrition: What is your view on becoming a vegetarian? I want to become one someday for many reasons, mainly because it's healthier and more eco-friendly. I'm not eating a lot of meat right now and I've tried stopping altogether, but it seems I'm still not prepared to leave it completely  ^_^

1.) I'd try planks, leg raises and pull downs, of which I will post a video for you of me doing them in the near future. They don't necessarily target the neck or shoulders, so those should be good for you.

2.) Well, you honestly don't require meat to function and depending on your fitness goals, you may not require that strand of protein for that either. As long as you're including raw proteins like nuts and certain grains, you'll be good to go. :) Vegetables provide you with the most nutrition for your buck (most of the time). But yes, I'd recommend reducing your meat intake slowly. You never know what you're body will do if you deprive it of something it's been having for a long time.

Well I read this and at the same time I had the tv on watching a programme of an English couple selling up here and moving out to Florida. How come the property is soooooo cheap ? The property they were being shown was 5 bedrooms, pool, had a mooring and jetty for a boat aaaaaaaaaah and it was £200,000 the same value as my 3 bed modest property here ? Ok what's the catch ?

1.) I'd try planks, leg raises and pull downs, of which I will post a video for you of me doing them in the near future. They don't necessarily target the neck or shoulders, so those should be good for you.

2.) Well, you honestly don't require meat to function and depending on your fitness goals, you may not require that strand of protein for that either. As long as you're including raw proteins like nuts and certain grains, you'll be good to go. :) Vegetables provide you with the most nutrition for your buck (most of the time). But yes, I'd recommend reducing your meat intake slowly. You never know what you're body will do if you deprive it of something it's been having for a long time.

Thank you for your answers!

I've tried doing leg raises and planks, but the neck and shoulder muscles get strained anyway. I guess they were really injured  :wacko: That's why I'm looking for exercises I can do standing up, which would be less intense for that area than the normal ones.

Hmm, are you able to hang from a bar?

Trying to think up some standing Ab workouts.

Well Im glad youre enjoying yourself  <_<

I want to know how to get slimmer, leaner legs. It's my main concern.

I'm pretty satisfied with my abdomen and waist, but I do have a little bit of a problem area. The dreaded tummy pooch.

Looks like this:

15z11f8.jpg

Which isn't bad I guess, and I may be nitpicking here, but its annoying because when I sit down it looks like a roll :o.

At first I thought maybe it has something to do with girly stuff, like extra space for pregnancy or something because I do see a lot of girls with it.

Then again I see that really fit girls do not have it so there has to be a way to get rid of it.

wgwyup.jpg

Any ideas?

Then I have another issue. When I'm running a long distance my lungs get tired and my throat hurts well before my body tires. I know I'm not breathing properly (the inhale through nose exhale through mouth that I should have mastered when I ran track but could never seem to get it right), so is there any tips that you have for that. I usually start off doing it but eventually I forget or resort to breathing heavily in and out of my mouth just because my body seems to prefer it that way :wacko:.

I want to know how to get slimmer, leaner legs. It's my main concern.

I'm pretty satisfied with my abdomen and waist, but I do have a little bit of a problem area. The dreaded tummy pooch.

Looks like this:

15z11f8.jpg

Which isn't bad I guess, and I may be nitpicking here, but its annoying because when I sit down it looks like a roll :o.

At first I thought maybe it has something to do with girly stuff, like extra space for pregnancy or something because I do see a lot of girls with it.

Then again I see that really fit girls do not have it so there has to be a way to get rid of it.

wgwyup.jpg

Any ideas?

Then I have another issue. When I'm running a long distance my lungs get tired and my throat hurts well before my body tires. I know I'm not breathing properly (the inhale through nose exhale through mouth that I should have mastered when I ran track but could never seem to get it right), so is there any tips that you have for that. I usually start off doing it but eventually I forget or resort to breathing heavily in and out of my mouth just because my body seems to prefer it that way :wacko:.

Let me start off by commending your hard work so far, and also that (if you look like the first photo) you've got an attractive body. :)

Okay, now about your initial concern; yes, you can lose that "pooch" if you tried really, really hard. It's not going to be easy, but if you put your heart into it, and utilize the following advice, you'll pretty much lose everything.

However.

Let me preface this by saying that getting as lean as the second picture (Around 13-17% bodyfat) is NOT optimal for health and most importantly, child-birth. Why isn't it optimal? Well, because MAINTAINING that low of bodyfat is EXTREMELY difficult. You're going to have to eat nigh 100% perfect, and/or exercise for over two hours daily.

As an addition, contrary to popular belief, a guy is more attracted to a women's hip-waist ratio than he is the actual weight on her. As long as your ratio is .7 or below, you're gold.

With all of that said, here's how you'll lose everything:

1. Eat one breast of chicken and 1 pound of vegetables every meal, and only chicken and vegetables, six times a day.
  2. Lift weights for at least an hour.
  3. After your hourly session of lifting weights, take an hour jog/run on a treadmill or outside.
  4. After your hourly jog/run session, take an hour swim at your local olympic pool.

Yup, that's right, 3 consecutive hours of exercise. Why do you need to do this? Because it's been scientifically documented that reserved fat loss, the stuff comprising the "pooch", is only burned during sustained, long-term exercise. Simply put, you've got to be exercising for more than two hours to start burning up that baby fat. You'll lose everything within 3-4 weeks if you do the above every day.

Trust me when I say I used to have that baby fat (starting to get a little back due to bulking), but when I did the above routine, I lost EVERYTHING. I was at like 14-15% bodyfat and went down to 6-7%.

Like I said though, it's incredibly difficult to maintain that low of a bodyfat percentage (13% for women, 7% for men), so just strive for that .7 ratio and you'll look good to men.

That's a bit trickier, because it's all on you. I'd recommend starting off with a set distance goal, and striving to maintain the proper inhale-exhale form until you're capable of running that set distance without a problem. Once you do that, then increase the distance little by little until it becomes muscle (haha) memory. :) Be sure to document it all, though, so you don't forget how far you ran the previous day/week.

Great questions though, Sunny!

Oh, woops, forgot about the leaner legs.

That's a whole 'nother story; I'll get into the proper routine if you'd like.

I have a natural body fat percentage of 9 percent, so I don't really excersize I just walk a few miles and do push-ups and sit-ups :DD

I have a natural body fat percentage of 9 percent, so I don't really excersize I just walk a few miles and do push-ups and sit-ups :DD

That's...not fair. :(

What do you mean by .7 ratio?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio

Basically, your waist should be a lower ratio (< 1.0) than your hips. For women, the "best" looking ratio is .7. Simply, your waist should be smaller than your hips.

Edit: As a note, I'm referring to "should" in relation to the waist-hip ratio theory. I'm not insinuating that YOU (All of you) should have it like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio

Basically, your waist should be a lower ratio (< 1.0) than your hips. For women, the "best" looking ratio is .7. Simply, your waist should be smaller than your hips.

Edit: As a note, I'm referring to "should" in relation to the waist-hip ratio theory. I'm not insinuating that YOU (All of you) should have it like that.

Cool. And lol, my waist is smaller than my hips so it's ok. 

I just quickly calculated my BMI, and it's 18.9, and I used to have 17.2 (which apparently is underweight). But that would mean I had been naturally underweight majority of my life. Is it bad or good for the increase?

Cool. And lol, my waist is smaller than my hips so it's ok. 

I just quickly calculated my BMI, and it's 18.9, and I used to have 17.2 (which apparently is underweight). But that would mean I had been naturally underweight majority of my life. Is it bad or good for the increase?

The increase is natural; how old were you then and are you now?

The most important thing you can do for yourself (Health and Appearance) is exercise. Believe it or not, exercise is very important.

17...now 18. 

So much school work to do I can find no time to exercise (unless walking up and down stairs and across campus with a heavy back pack counts) >.< 

17...now 18. 

So much school work to do I can find no time to exercise (unless walking up and down stairs and across campus with a heavy back pack counts) >.< 

Whoa there!

I carry the backpack ;)

Thanks :D! I've recently been trying to get back into shape. It hasn't been that hard really, but I based on your advice, there's a lot work that must be done. Especially since I only eat 1-2 times per day and only 1 hour of medium intensity cardio (Btw 6 meals a day seems crazy to me! Why do I have to eat so much? :o). Every now and then I'll do something like squats, planks, and situps but squats and planks really hurt, and situps are boring because I can do a bunch of those (like 50 in 1 minute) and not feel anything :mellow:.

Is there an alternative to lifting weights? Gyms are not my friend :disapproval:.
Do you really think hip-waist ratio matters? Because can't obese women have .7 hip-waist ratios if they're very hourglass? :huh:
I'm already below .7 hip-waist ratio, even at my heaviest I was below .7 (albeit I've never been overweight). I don't even know why I have a pooch because my waist measurement is pretty small as well, smaller than the picture I posted, yet I still have a pooch :wacko:. Maybe its because I'm pretty much skinny-fat. Starting from the little "pooch" on my lower abdomen and everything the below, there is no firmness, especially my thighs, which I'm starting to notice cellulite on! I heard that cellulite is from too many carbs in the diet. Is that true? I probably eat more rice, pasta, and sweets than I should. I have never been able to get these legs under control. My body wants to store all of the fat there. I would like to know the proper routine for that so I can get them to be more proportional :).