tea&travel

“If a clock could count down to the moment you meet your soul mate, would you want to know?�

21 posts in this topic

I found this on a friend's tumblr the other day and wondered what you all would think on the subject. Here are a few stories that came with the question giving some scenarios. Food for thought. I have no idea if I would want to know, I think the anticipation would kill me and I personally think there is more than one person that you can click with and consider your soul mate. Anyway, enjoy the read and/or share your thoughts :)

tumblr_lg6ml1yY0r1qfryr6o1_500.jpg

“If a clock could count down to the moment you meet your soul mate, would you want to know?â€

One minute, 37 seconds.

My legs are shaking. Holy cow, there is no way I can do this. None.

One minute, 29 seconds.

I glance around at the faces surrounding the room. Of course my Meeting would take place in the gross, overcrowded cafeteria.

One minute, six seconds.

Somewhere within these four walls, someone has the exact same countdown on their wrist. They’re going through the exact same pressure as me.

54 seconds.

Mom said I should be excited, not nervous. Yet I still find myself wiping my sweaty palms on my dress. I can’t believe she talked me into wearing a dress. I mean, shouldn’t  my Soul Mate meet me as I normally am? All plain jeans, blah shirts, and wild brown curls?

30 seconds.

Something deep within me tells me to stand up. I do, drawing the attention of my tablemates. They all know too. They smile encouragingly up at me. I chew my lip nervously.

25 seconds.

That same feeling pulls me towards the center of the room. My stomach drops away from me as I take a step in that direction.

20 seconds.

I continue in that direction. With each step the tempo of my heart picks up.

19. Faster.

18. Quicker.

17. More rapid.

16.  It’s racing.

Oh my god this is it. The moment my life changes forever.

My eyes search frantically around the cafeteria, searching for someone who looks as nervous as me. For someone who’s heading towards their future with no sense of direction like me.

10 seconds.

The feeling directs me slightly to the left. I turn to accommodate.

5. My heart has given up entirely.

4. I stop walking.

3. Just waiting left.

2. Everything is about to change.

1. Deep breath.

0000 d 00 h  00 m  00 s

Someone bumps my shoulder. I twirl around and my gray eyes meet blue, blue ones.

“Hello there, love. It appears as though we’re Soul Mates then, eh?â€

As my words fail me, the only thing I can think is “I’m so glad I shaved this morning.â€

------------------

I’m sitting outside a cafe when it happens, sipping some cheap drink, pretending to enjoy the sunshine. The counter runs to zero, and there is an audible click, the tab deactivates, falls off. The clink of polyurethane to cobblestone floor is echoed a few feet ahead of me. I shake a proffed hand, look up at a disdainful face. 

“This is all I get?â€

-----------------

It’s just a couple more weeks, now. I’ve been watching closely as the numbers tick steadily down. Just a couple more weeks, I keep telling myself. Out of my group of friends, I’m on what they like to call the “fast track,†people whose numbers start much lower than others. 

Two weeks, six days, fifteen hours. The clock keeps ticking. Two weeks, one day, four hours. 

The days are getting so close now I’m pretty sure my uncontrollable excitement is starting to seriously annoy everyone around me. My friends tease me incessantly about who they imagine my soul mate will be. Tall, short, fat, dimples, nail biter, foot tapper.  

At one week, three days, and seven hours, the clock stops. 

Instead of a soul mate I get condolences, a therapist, and a broken clock.

I hurry down the clinic hallway as I slip on my button-down shirt. They just installed it- how could it have been just two minutes?

Two minutes, thirteen seconds to be exact, and I was nowhere near ready! My hair was a mess, and I felt something in my teeth. I had to look good for my soulmate. A perfectionist through and through.

A sign hanging from the ceiling pointed to a restroom to the right. I checked the time again. A minute and thirty-three seconds? F***! I picked up the pace and almost slipped on the time floor.

Time was almost up and my heart was racing. Finally, I dashed into the bathroom to fix myself up. The door shut, and as I looked into the mirror, I heard a click.

I checked the time. Zero.

What? This doesn’t make any…

I looked back at the mirror. Then back at the timer. Back at the mirror. Back at the timer.

“Aw, shoot.†[cleaned up that last word, sorry if there were other unpleasant words, just copy pasted]

Thoughts?

1 person likes this

This would make me very, very anxious, though at the same time, it would bring me a sense of calm unlike ever before. :)

3 people like this

This would make me very, very anxious, though at the same time, it would bring me a sense of calm unlike ever before. :)

Yes a sense of calm! I was thinking that too, just knowing wether or not you will meet someone, that time would be you guaranteed a soul mate.

Oh and that last story, did the person meet their soul mate or no? I got the impression they didn't.

And the one where the persons clock just stopped, so sad D:

This concept reminds me of this movie "In Time"

http://youtu.be/6Re51joTIYA

Which reminds me of this movie "Timer"

http://youtu.be/9ApG3g64fEM

Which reminds me of the Red String of Fate in Asian mythology, which states that the Gods tie a red string around the little finger or ankle of those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The two people connected by the invisible red thread are destined soul mates. It is said that the string can stretch, knot, and tangle, but never break.

tumblr_mbli4eD1EB1qll7feo1_500.jpg

I don't know why it makes me think of that but it does kinda make me want red wedding ring or red string as a theme in my wedding somehow (if I have one).

2ln76nr.jpg

To answer your question, I don't think I would want to know. Okay, maybe I would like to know the year, but definitely not a countdown to the exact day, hour, and second. I don't think I would be able to think about anything else :unsure:. I would want it to happen somewhat naturally, but if we both know the exact time when we're supposed to meet each other that could be very awkward. I'll take the first story please :D. The other two were kinda sad :(.

3 people like this

I like the idea but I agree with sunny I wouldnt wanna know the exact second, preferably the year ...AAaaand now Im gonna watch the movie Timer because I havent seen it and love romanctical moovies  :D 

This is such a cool idea. I wish it was real. I partially agree with you Tatyana. I wouldn't want to know the exact second, but I would like to know the exact day. I would be so excited. I would use my time before the meeting to prepare. Prepare by advancing my life whether its in career or education. Develop some more stability in my life so I can give her the amount of time she deserves from me.

This would be a great thing because it would allow us to prepare.

1 person likes this

I don't think I would want to know. I mean, if it was within the next year or two, I'd want to know, but imagine if it was in 20 years? Or 50 years? I don't think I'd want to know that. I'd like to keep hoping that it will be sooner rather than later. I don't mind a bit of "ignorance is bliss" with things like this. Also, imagine if you knew the moment you met someone that they were your soul mate, that would take away the mystery of it all when you are getting to know someone.

I do see the advantages though, most definitely. And it's a tough choice, I wasn't sure at first. But I think I'll go with not knowing.

In regards to the red string theory. My friend did her senior thesis about that, in the form of a children's book. I was very much intrigued by it. And I hope it is true. The idea of being connected to different souls, souls you are meant to meet that you will always have a special bond with no matter how tangled and long the thread is, is a very comforting thought. Makes one feel connected to the world in a special way.

2 people like this

I'm sure that I'd probably die of an anxiety attack before it timed out.  I have to say, before I met my boyfriend, I'd have been like, "YES. GIMME ONE I WANNA KNOW THE EXACT MINUTE HE WALKS INTO MY LIFE."  But now, I've learned that patience is such a virtue.  Our relationship happened completely unexpectedly and, let me tell you, it has been the most romantic part of my life.  Prior to him, I was pretty impatient [ and I know I still am to an extent ]  and now that I've stopped pressing and stopped wanting to know when and where what's going to happen, I've found myself so happy with the surprises!

I was so bad at giving him opportunities to surprise me.  Literally, if I didn't change, I'd be asking for one of those bracelets to count down to the engagement too.   

and now I have to make Christoph watch In Time with me if he hasn't already seen it.  I love that movie!

2 people like this

Oh and that last story, did the person meet their soul mate or no? I got the impression they didn't.

And the one where the persons clock just stopped, so sad D:

I think in the last story, she looks in the mirror and finds that she is her own soulmate, kind of depressing.

The clock stopping one made me super sad!

These types of scenarios and the anxiety make me think I would err on the side of no, but I would always me temped.

Sunny: I must check all of these out soon!

I love the red string theory. I will look into that.

Very interesting answers! I miss the forums, I was away for a while.

1 person likes this

I want to see the movie Timer so bad, I hope it's good.

Why dont you just watch it? I just watched it last night online

The idea sounds so great in theory but...just say this soul mate wasn't exactly what you had in mind? Say yall fuss fight and argue all the time and just never see eye to eye on anything, do you stay with them just because they are your "soul mate." Or what if you just legitimately fall for someone else? Do you ignore that attraction and impulse and just put your hopes, fears, dreams in a complete stranger? Or even what if the soul mate passes away? Single forever? Divorces? Age differences? There's a lot to think about. It makes me appreciative of our ability to  CHOOSE a partner. Though the idea would make amazing for a romance :)

I think that would be a really awesome invention! Scary for sure, but at least you'll know who to avoid and what to focus on, like studies and friendships. It would be cool if they also had a friendship detector, showing what people will be your true friends. ^_^

I love the red string of destiny belief :) I've heard about it before (mentioned in many animes), and I think it's super cute. ^_^ Looks the the last story was Narcissus! XD The clock stopping was sad though. :/

Overall, it was a very interesting idea, but I doubt something like that can actually be made. *sad face*

1 person likes this

I wouldn't want to know. Like all great things it is worth all the not knowing, obstacles, and wait to get there. It's not about the end result to me, it's about the journey. Knowing when you're going to meet your soul mate takes all the fun out of the journey. Instead of a road trip with no destination and no set end, you have a plane to catch. You miss all the wonders along the way. Plus, how would you tell your kids the story of how you met. I was watching my soul mate counter and when it hit zero there they were? This one is very elegant and cute don't get me wrong, but ultimately that is what it comes down to. Plus, what would happen to all the cute they were best friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. that didn't really like each other, but eventually fell in love stories. I do believe that there is the right person out there who is waiting to meet me(or who knows maybe we have already met), but I don't want to know who it is until God wants me to. 

Then suddenly , as Freds soulmate countdown was reaching its final seconds....Freds worst fear was realized as he was locked in the old folks bingo hall

10 Soulmate clocks went off in that room that day....there lives were never the same again (this would make a good anime or tv drama)

1 person likes this