Sneetche

Postpartum Depression

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone prepared for or thinking of this possibility? Are you afraid of the adverse effects it may have on your relationships with your children and your significant other?

Girls, how will you handle it if it happens? Will you take any preventative measures or deal with it as it comes? Guys, how will you help your wives deal with this, while dealing with your own emotions and reactions to it?

Post partumdepression is the feeling of worthlessness after child birth, also the feeling of being unable to adequately care for your baby.

I think that's what it is.

Umm, can someone define postpartum depression first?

Postpartum (or postnatal) depression is when a mother gets depressed after having a baby. Sometimes it's not that severe, but other times it can be really severe. There are numerous symptoms, like feelings of sadness, guilt, anxiety, tiredness, feeling overwhelmed or not capable of caring for the baby, problems with eating and sleeping, reduced sex drive, feeling angry towards others, panic attacks, etc. And technically, fathers can get it too, but it's a little rarer. 

If it were me, I'd just want my husband's support, and support from friends and other family members. And I'd just try to remember that a lot of women feel a depressed after having a baby, and that it goes away eventually.

xxx

Honestly, this is not something I ever thought about until I read your thread. Thanks for posting it!

Hmm, for preventative measures? Not really sure what one could do, except be sure to eat healthy during and after pregnancy, which I would definitely do.

If I had this to a severe level, I would try and keep in mind that eventually it would pass. And I would hope my husband would be supportive during the rough patch.

I had it a little after i had my daughter, but luckily it wasn't that bad. I just felt as if i wasn't needed anymore. I don't think it's something you can really control. Some women are more probe to get it than others. I personally don't really know what i could do to try to prevent it, but i definitely think that it will help having a husband who wants/needs me the next time around.

Some women during the last few years claim that turning their placenta into pills can combat postpartum depression. It's also catching on cause I know quite a few people who have done this.

Here's an article about it, but please AVOID if you are very easily grossed out. 

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-04-02/national/35453595_1_placenta-mothers-postpartum

Some women during the last few years claim that turning their placenta into pills can combat postpartum depression. It's also catching on cause I know quite a few people who have done this.

Here's an article about it, but please AVOID if you are very easily grossed out. 

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-04-02/national/35453595_1_placenta-mothers-postpartum

I've heard about that. Perhaps it works, but I doubt I'd ever do it. I don't want to eat part of my baby. People forget; the placenta's not an organ of the mother's body, even though women talk about it being "their" placenta. It's the baby's, with the baby's DNA. It'd be like eating my baby's lungs or stomach. Urgh...icky...

xxx