Guest markb4

Fears and Phobias

71 posts in this topic

OMG I HATE COCKROACHES AS WELL. I can't kill them either...if I try I miss the first time so it's just me hopping around scared trying to catch them they freak me out! I've had encounters where I felt like they were purposely trying to get me LOL. I've even had one touch me before EEK. That's why I dread rain sometimes cause it seems to draw them out.  I'm also not fond of tight spaces, vast bodies of water, and being watched/stared at. Does anyone else put a band-aid/sticker over their laptop camera or is it just me?  :superwaiter:  Lol

Lol, I do that too. I put black tape over mine.

1 person likes this

Emotophobia!!! It's been a decade (and a year)since I've gotten sick like that. Also I want to have a bf in high shool and get asked to prom (tink that'll be fine tho)

I'm terrified of cockroaches! So much so that I can't even kill them :unsure:  Maybe it's because of their color, legs, shape or because they're just plain disgusting. Who knows?

I also don't like heights. When I was little I loved going on roller coasters and such. I have no idea why that changed  ^_^

DW, we can go on a cockroach killing date....:P

I'm up for it :o

Where/when do we meet? :D

Why, Hogwarts of course! I hear the Dungeon Pit is full of all those delightful insects.

2 people like this

Why, Hogwarts of course! I hear the Dungeon Pit is full of all those delightful insects.

In fact, I use lacewing flies to brew Polyjuice Potion.

1 person likes this

I'm a big tough guy so I don't have any phobias at all.

Fears are for wimps.

Hahaha

I've been awake now for hours on end.

Long story

Very Long journey

Anyhow, seriously to answer the question.

I'll name two (2)

First and this makes little sense as I've probably given a hundred injections.

But needles

I donate blood on occasion, but I'm just a wimp around needles.

Secondly, I am afraid of large ships.

Not cause of Titanic.

Partly though, who can't say that.

I'll explain, stick with me here.

I mean ships really huge ones are out there plying the world's oceans and, stuff right.

But unlike airplanes they're aren't any "ocean-space" controllers that I know of.

And certainly ships don't travel anywhere nearly as fast airplanes.

But who's controlling this traffic.

At least when I'm flying there's always someone to talk to, the guys in the Control tower, (ground control, ramp and Tower (Local) Control)

After takeoff departure control in the TRACON

Enroute the Center Controllers in the ARTCCs

Approach Control again in the TRACON

And finally the old Tower again.

And ships are out there sailing around, all "willy neely" from my unknowing, lay-persons opinion.

Maybe Happy When Sailing can enlighten me.

1 person likes this

I don't like lots of stairs especially if theirs no railings , I have bad balance and weak ankles.

I worked for goodwill so spiders do not bother me at all, I was the one that killed spiders for everyone else, I even found dormant mud dobber nests (wasp nests made of mud)twice whIle sorting through clothes and It didn't even freak me out too much.

I'm terrified of spiders, not just big ones, but little ones too. The way they crawl on their eight legs just makes me cringe.

Im also scared of heights because I have a fear of falling and badly injuring myself.

And finally, I have a fear of presenting in front of a large group due to my anxiety. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, WaitingForLove said:

And finally, I have a fear of presenting in front of a large group due to my anxiety. 

I'm the same. There was a history class I took where one paper wewcould read the paper in front of the class for a better grade, I opted out. 

I fear someone getting into my house while I sleep. I have to check that all my doors are locked and my garage doors are closed MULTIPLE times. I would just have done it and have to do it again. Having two dogs help though :D

1 person likes this

On 8/6/2016 at 10:17 PM, samaye said:

I fear someone getting into my house while I sleep. I have to check that all my doors are locked and my garage doors are closed MULTIPLE times. I would just have done it and have to do it again. Having two dogs help though :D

Sounding a bit like OCD there. I've had many issues with OCD, mainly worrying about diseases and germs...

When I was really little, I would be afraid of people breaking into the house... but not anymore...

I thought that all you Texas ladies were armed heavily enough to not have to worry about intruders. :D

I've got quite a few guns, but the thought of somebody breaking into my house never even occurs to me... unless I know I am going on vacation for a few days...

3 hours ago, Dave1985 said:

Sounding a bit like OCD there. I've had many issues with OCD, mainly worrying about diseases and germs...

When I was really little, I would be afraid of people breaking into the house... but not anymore...

I thought that all you Texas ladies were armed heavily enough to not have to worry about intruders. :D

I've got quite a few guns, but the thought of somebody breaking into my house never even occurs to me... unless I know I am going on vacation for a few days...

Yeah, I have some little OCD quirks, lol.

My Dad and Mom would love it if I were a gun nut, but I'm not. Though I am thinking of getting my license...

1 person likes this

So many people don't like spiders....me too! Its not a phobia but I just don't like their crawlyness. And we have some quite poisonous ones in Australia. The same goes for grabbing bugs that squirm and claw between fingers when you try and contain them, worse if they bite e.g. Locusts, gryllotalpa, Jerusalem crickets...otherwise I don't have anything against bugs and it's more the poison issue with spiders as I am fine with handling daddylonglegs (highly poisonous but not dangerous for us because they can't penetrate the skin) but I don't like the non poisonous huntsman spiders we have here because they are so fast and I don't want them crawling on me! 

I kinda have a fear of dying in my sleep. I want to know when I am dying.

When I was a child I had ungodly fears for basically everything, thanks in part largely due to my older brother. I was afraid of the dark, knives, spiders, water (anything deep), tall people, little plastic soldiers, heights, tall buildings, etc. But as I got older everything basically just faded away. I'm still not entirely sure why though.

I had a friend tell me that since I currently live with the rationale that 'if it doesn't kill me, it's acceptable' I probably went from one polar opposite end of the spectrum to the other. That's not to say that I live each day doing things that are likely to kill me, but growing up afraid of so many things I kind of just accepted that most of them were pretty stupid and whatever is going to happen, will happen. 

My current fears have more to do with my character now and whether or not others view me as a disappointment in life. 

On 2/16/2013 at 9:33 AM, Flor said:

I'm terrified of cockroaches! So much so that I can't even kill them :unsure:  Maybe it's because of their color, legs, shape or because they're just plain disgusting. Who knows?

I also don't like heights. When I was little I loved going on roller coasters and such. I have no idea why that changed 

LOL we have the exact same fears!!!!

I hate roaches because to me they are disease laden creatures! I actually like bugs in general and enjoy learning about them...but not roaches. I moved down to Texas for a few years and had no idea they have mutant roaches!

I got home late one night and as I opened the door, I saw a mouse on my spoon i left out. It was nibbling away at the leftovers....As I got closer it scuttled away, behind the dishwasher. At that moment I was mortified to realize that was not a mouse....It was a roach!!!! I thought to myself well this can't get much worse...as I walked up to my dinner plate and spoon, I noticed the roach quite literally left a nice, fresh, steamy hot, turd on my spoon......puke.pngNeedless to say, I probably did not get much sleep that night...I never found that roach again. And yes the plate and spoon went right in the trash haha.

Those roaches were so big, they were not able to fit in the traps I bought

I too was not bothered by heights when I was a kid. I flew all the time. However, the first time I went rock climbing, I was totally freaked out being danged a 100 ft in the air...Then a year later i had a 12 hour flight and on that flight i remember thinking how scared i was rock climbing... Then i said to myself  "then why aren't you scared flying...your 35,000 FT in the air?"...and I was never the same after that lol...now i hate heights all together

I'm not of scared of bugs, or animals, or heights at all.

I guess my fear is an irrational one, but I have a fear of being forgotten. Not like someone forget to tell me something or didn't invite me to family event, but like honestly forgetting that I exist. 

That all my friends, and family, and all that I know would just forget about me even being alive. I shudder just thinking about it.

I love these types of threads. Always hear interesting stuff. Anyway, there is not really much that bothers me anymore. I get apprehensive about doing things I'm nervous about just like anyone else would, but it's never anything crippling. I was way less of a risk taker when I was younger, but I guess by now I've come to terms with any possible consequences of whatever it is I'm dealing with. A few things have stuck with me, but even they are waning over time.

You can group me in the "hates spiders" category like most people in this thread. I've gotten better about it these days, but I'm never going to like them. Before, I couldn't even be in the same room as one. I was also so paranoid about them that I had to constantly search my house for them. Now, I've gotten over both of those things. I still don't like looking at them, but it's more out of disgust than fear. I rationalize it by understanding that they are far more afraid of me than I could ever be of them, and for good reason too. If I find them in my bedroom or especially in the bathroom, then they have to be swiftly executed. I know that's extremely barbaric, but they breached my most vulnerable spaces. Seeing them at that point kicks in the adrenaline and the fight response. I still think that's at least better than when I was younger and I would get the flight response instead. If you wanna tie this to WTM, then I look it like this; if my future wife is deathly afraid of spiders, then it would have to be my responsibility to deal with them. Doesn't hurt to prepare for that possibility. :P

A big one that used to get to me was driving anxiety. I still have just a tiny little bit of it now, but after 3 years of driving I've more or less gotten over it. I didn't get my license until I was 20 because of it...

The last thing is claustrophobia. I've never gotten over this one, nor do I really care to. It's easy enough to live with. I'll just never go spelunking. And hopefully I'll never have to crawl through a ventilation shaft for some reason. I really dislike the idea of being confined, but it's only in extreme situations. Like if I literally can't move my body at all. That also tends to make waking up during sleep paralysis nothing short of horrifying.

1 person likes this

I've never understood why people hate spiders because they're working on your behalf removing all the other insects from the vicinity. I always leave spiders alone. Most of them die in late October here anyway when the temperature starts dropping. The only time I am bothered by them is when they're on my bed (which happened two days ago :blink:), or when I wake up and there is a huge one on the wall near my head. I also dislike wolf spiders. To effectively remove bugs, gently vacuum them with one of those tiny portable vacuums with the soft inner fabric cup and release them outside, or get one of those special insect removal brooms. Our mini vacuum is called "Scorpion." Please don't kill bugs. As my dad says, "they're just trying to make a living too." ;) 

Driving anxiety is something I can relate to because a girl in my class died on her way to school (she was driving and probably exhausted from the huge due dates we had that day). This was around the time I was starting to learn how to drive, so I was literally crying while practicing my driving lessons. I'm really not fond of driving because of it. :(

When I was younger, I was afraid of not having my feet covered by my blanket while sleeping because someone might grab them during the night. I was nervous about public speaking and people wearing mascots. :lol: One time in college there was a frosted flakes mascot walking through our cafeteria and I put my head down and waited for it to pass. I probably would have reacted less to a real tiger. :rolleyes:

My fears: death of loved ones, poor health, being dependent or a burden on others, not being a good person or kind to others, getting older without the benefits of it, being recorded, large bodies of water, and heights (though not trees or flying- I've soloed).

1 person likes this

Cars. They are pretty nuch death machines. I don't have much trouble being in cars, but crossing the street terrifies me, as well as driving. When I was in middle school the passenger seat scared me. 

1 person likes this