Guest markb4

Fears and Phobias

71 posts in this topic

Hey all,

It's been a while since I started a thread. So this one is about our fears and phobias. What scares/frightens you? And why, if you have a reason why? For me, I'm frightened of dogs. I guess the facts that they can run after you, jump around you, and possibly bite you bother me a lot!

I'm terrified of cockroaches! So much so that I can't even kill them :unsure:  Maybe it's because of their color, legs, shape or because they're just plain disgusting. Who knows?

I also don't like heights. When I was little I loved going on roller coasters and such. I have no idea why that changed  ^_^

5 people like this

I agree Sarita. Cockroaches are the worse! ugh. I am also scared of heights but I am getting better about that. I'm riding roller coasters now. :)

But my biggest fear is dead bodies. I know its sort of irrational. I don't believe they will reanimate and kill me but since I was kid and went to my first funeral and my sister told me the body was in my grandparent's room (she was messing with me) I had reoccurring nightmares about bodies falling out of coffins and other horrible things like being trapped in a room with one. :P

1 person likes this

I have a fear of heights and speed. Let me clarify:

I can do chairlifts. elevators, most towers, and gondolas.

I can not however do theme parks, roller coasters, etc.

My phobias...

-frogs, When I was a kid I played with the little green frogs until one day I went to jump on my trampoline there was a HUGE ugly toad, I ran inside screaming and have been traumatized ever since.

-whaletails , Honestly Im not sure why I know it was something from my childhood...the only thing that comes to mind is watching Pinocchio as a kid and the whale scared me...Something like that and I have always gotten panic attacks and nightmares about whales. 

-ventriloquist dolls or any realistic looking dolls. This could be from watching chucky and I'd also have nightmares about little people biting my ankles til they bled it was horrifying.

- I have a fear of heights too but it doesnt stop me from going on rollercoasters and ziplining. I have trouble flying But I will NEVER do a helicopter ride

I have arachnophobia. All arachnids - especially spiders and daddy long legs - freak me out. Other than that, nothing besides the obvious (serial killers, rapists, etc,) scares me. I love snakes, and house mice and house rats (but the wild ones don't scare me at all.) Bugs don't bother me much.

I get freaked out by the thought of veins, arteries, giving blood, etc. I'm actually fine with the sight of blood: I can even watch those surgery programmes on TV with very little problem. Blood is fine, as long as it's not pulsing. When I see or think of veins, I get this weird fear that they're going to be severed in some way, and then blood will gush out, and you'll die, or something...Yeah, it's weird. But it's not that serious, because I can still give blood, although it still freaks me out... 

Also, I'm not that good with spiders or bugs. I hate moths. And wasps. But I like bees, because they rarely bother you, and some bees like bumblebees are very cute, like little flying pom poms.

When I was little, I used to get claustrophobic when I was in crowded, hot places, like in a busy clothes shop on a warm day. And I used to get claustrophobic when I wore heavy make-up (didn't happen often, just at sleepovers, for example), like thick foundation. But neither of those things happen any more, which is good.

xxx

I don't really have any real phobias ATM. But I did have nightmares after watching Titanic as a kid and I was always afraid  of the ship crashing through my living room.

There are two things that actually scare me; not finding “the one†and cockroaches. I can deal with snakes, spiders, and scorpions, but cockroaches, hell no, they are EVIL. Whenever someone mentions that they saw a roach, I kind of freak out. Even typing about cockroaches makes me nervously scan the floor every few seconds.  

-I'm afraid to get on rollercoasters, though Idk if it's a legitimate phobia

-This is a really recent development, but when I relax I can't tilt my head back without feeling like someone's about to chop me in the trachea. Haha. I have to lay down with my head tilted slightly forward or to the side.

1 person likes this

I have a strange phobia with rust. If a bathtub, sink, kitchen sink, refrigerator, toilet...just anything that has water and is frequently touched i just can't stand it. I remember religiously cleaning the hall bathroom in my mom's house with CLR, 409 and Comet to clean off all the rust that had accumulated. I will also add grout (sp?) to the edges of the bathtub if the rust is bad there too.

I don't mind it on sidewalks and stuff like that but things that my skin comes in contact with I simply can't stand it. I simply cannot take a bath until all the rust is gone from the tub. Needless to say my bathroom is pretty clean and my kitchen will be too when I get my own house.

The only phobia I know I have is arachnophobia. And I think I probably have fear of spiders at the phobia level. Lets just say when I played Dragon Age: Origins, I actually asked one of the devs to make a mod that would replace all the spiders in the game with a different monster. They actually programmed one and let people download it.

When I see one I get goosebumps, feel a shiver up and down my spine and general feel beyond distrubed. Of course the size and details can make it worse. Little ones are less problematic as long as they aren't the jumping kinds. Ugh, even typing this is creeping me out.

Anyway... in real life I just scream when I see one and hop on the nearest piece of furniture or flee from the room. Fun fact, when I scream the spider will actually pause and go still. So if you ever need to stop one, scream, it really makes them freeze for a second.

That's my only phobia, there are others things I'm not fond of, but yeah.

2 people like this

I hate those spiders that run super fast lol ewww.

I wish I didn't have to kill them because I feel like they deserve to be on this planet as much as we humans do. We're all living, breathing creatures created by God however........ bugs belong outside. lol They have no business being inside our homes lol. I'm sorry but that's just how I feel lol

When bugs enter my house, they're entering dangerous territory because there's a huge possibility that they might get whacked with a newspaper if they're found by me lol I don't do this to slow-moving bugs. But you kinda have to kill the fast ones because if you don't, they'll run and hide someplace where you can't reach them and then they'll eventually multiply and you'll have more problems to deal with later on so you gotta do what you gotta do lol And my sister is even more terrified of bugs than I am so she won't do it which leaves me no choice lol

I love dogs but I am initially apprehensive around them. I'm a little lady and Im aware they could do some serious harm :P I got attacked by a Chihuahua once... he was scary.

I am petrified of butterflies! as well as any other "bug" but particularly those. I once had to work at the Butterfly Gardens in the Zoo I volunteer at... I shouldnt be alive!

The ultimate fear I have is - I am afraid of never living up to my potential. Although Im sure thats something everyone is afraid of. However, I feel like this is heightened for me, because I have a "disability." Im also afraid Ill end up alone. The biggest one - being viewed as a bad person - which is odd because I usually don't care what happens to me.. idk, Im weird :P but fear is one of my motivators, so its a not an all bad thing. And I have this bigger optimistic side that tells me Ill be okay :)

but onto more stuff like butterflies.. I love heights but Im afraid of losing my balance and falling.. so rollercoasters dont bother me, because I trust that Im strapped in :) i am afraid of the random wooden step at the very top of my staircase ( the rest are carpet as is the floor beyond the first and last steps) because I like wearing fuzzy socks.

I used to be afraid of the dark, but now I cant stand anything but pitch black while I sleep! Good thing I have my blankie and teddy bear :)

I love thunderstorms but I hate the noises... I think thats it for me!! Probably not but Ill add more as I remember them :) if I rmemeber to refer back to the post, lol

5 people like this

Edit: EWZ don't read this!

OH COCKROACHES!! Oh my goodness no... wait, hey whats up with the font?

Anyway, let me tell you a story about those mini evil spirits... once I lived in an apartment with my doggy named Buddy... he was a puppy then. I was getting ready for school and walked into the kitchen to eat some Cap'n Crunch and Honey Smacks. Yes, both cereals in the same bowl. I was munching away happily at the table when I noticed Buddy's attention devoted to pawing at something on the floor... I peered over and nearly threw my cereal everywhere! It was a giant cockroach about half his size, no joke! He was taunting it by mouthing it and spitting it out...goodness gracious. Like a ninja, I jumped over him and run to the cupboard and grabbed a cup. I then picked up a textbook. I pulled Buddy away and flipped over the cup to cover this atrocity. I slowly pulled it towards the kitchen so I could lock it in their for the day, away from Buddy, while I went to school. (No one was able to smash it for me, not sure if they could anyway) I secured it with the weight of the textbook and locked it and went to school. I came home that day to Buddy's usual greetings. I went into the kitchen, but whaddaya know, s/he was gone... to this day I still have no idea where it went...

One of the most traumatizing events of my life. *sniffle

2 people like this

I'm a grown redneck man who is utterly terrified of spiders and snakes.  Not in the oh my goodness look a spider, and or snake.  It's the whole high pitched scream and run out the door.  I work as a part time taxidermist and I leave the room when some one brings in a snake. 

4 people like this

I have a fear that something is behind me like not all the time but if I have my back to a dark door way or dark corner of the room I constantly check behind me ;_;

1 person likes this

The only phobia I know I have is arachnophobia. And I think I probably have fear of spiders at the phobia level. Lets just say when I played Dragon Age: Origins, I actually asked one of the devs to make a mod that would replace all the spiders in the game with a different monster. They actually programmed one and let people download it.

When I see one I get goosebumps, feel a shiver up and down my spine and general feel beyond distrubed. Of course the size and details can make it worse. Little ones are less problematic as long as they aren't the jumping kinds. Ugh, even typing this is creeping me out.

Anyway... in real life I just scream when I see one and hop on the nearest piece of furniture or flee from the room. Fun fact, when I scream the spider will actually pause and go still. So if you ever need to stop one, scream, it really makes them freeze for a second.

That's my only phobia, there are others things I'm not fond of, but yeah.

Have you seen the spiders in Skyrim? I know there is a mod that turns the spiders in bears, spiders as a whole don't  freak me out, only their eyes do.  

Needles, blood, heights, spiders.....so pretty similar to DD, but on a scale needles, blood, and heights would blow spiders away lol

2 people like this

I have a fear that something is behind me like not all the time but if I have my back to a dark door way or dark corner of the room I constantly check behind me ;_;

Oh, yeah, I kind of do that sometimes. If I stay up late at night, till everyone else is in bed, and then I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and whatnot, then sometimes I feel really freaked out when I leave my room, and I'm in the hallway by myself, and I go into the bathroom and get freaked out that I'll see something behind me in the mirror...Then I'm scared until I'm safely back in my room, where my Lon Chaney bobblehead is watching to make sure nothing scary gets in...

This is especially bad if I've just watched a scary movie, or read up on urban legends on Snopes, or read too many creepypastas online...and so on...

xxx

1 person likes this